Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the report of the third game of War of the Ring that Sarah and I played. This time, Sarah took the Free Peoples and I took Sauron.

R1) Sarah began by moving off the Fellowship, and immediately they were revealed by the Hunt (Eye). Alas, I had no cards in hand to take advantage of this, so I merely moved the Southrons closer to war and began to gather armies around Mordor. The fellowship hid, Rohan moved closer to war, and Thranduil's Archers reinforced the Woodland Realm.

R2) The fellowship moved again in secret, but a Nazgul Search revealed them. Gandalf quickly hid them, but the Balrog of Moria revealed himself, making moving through Moria a risky business. The elves moved closer towards war, and Swords in Eriador continued the secret mustering of the Free Peoples, whilst the orcs and Southrons moved into position.

R3) The fellowship continued to creep along, and the Kindred of Glorfindel made Rivendell a place even less worth attacking. The rest of the turn was in getting nations closer to going to war, and finalising the invasion plans from Mordor.

R4) Gandalf revealed his Wizard's Staff, but it was immediately needed to counteract Isildur's Bane. Faramir's Rangers caused one casualty in the orc armies massing in Ithilin, and both Sauron and Gondor declared war. The Fellowship moved onwards.

R5) More secret mustering in the Free People's nations from Sarah with Dain's Ironfoot's Guard and Eomer, Son of Eomund. I put Shelob's Lair and The Ring is Mine! into play, and then the Witch King joined the armies... I was almost ready to invade!

R6) The fellowship crept onwards as the war began with The Black Captain Commands, and Osgilath fell to the orcs. Gandalf the Grey left the fellowship and sped towards Rohan, becoming Gandalf the White when he reached there. The Corsairs of Umbar ferried my big army of Southrons into Dol Amroth, and Rohan declared war. The Ringwraiths are Abroad started the siege of Dol Amroth, which fell to an Onslaught. More armies moved up, and Minas Tirith came under siege. Saruman declared himself as a traitor in Orthanc.

R7) The fellowship declared themselves Lorien; the Balrog tried to kill them, but an eye Hunt tile was discarded to no effect. Sarah played Mithril Coat and Sting, and I played The Palantir of Orthanc. The fellowship moved on twice as the hunt faltered, but the Mordor defenses were reinforced with Give it to Us!, although Sarah also had some Elven Cloaks to gift the hobbits with. A Mustering of a Long Planned War gave me even more reinforcements, and Pelagir fell to my Southrons. Sarah mustered some troops in Rohan, but I took Minas Tirith. Gondor had fallen! (I was now up to 5 victory points).

(I made the mistake this turn of committing nothing to the Hunt and everything to the war... and no eye tokens were rolled. Thus, the fellowship were able to move twice. Though I got Gondor, the extra movement may well have cost me later. I didn't make the mistake again.)

R8) The hunt began to close on the Fellowship, taking 2 corruption, and using the Mithril Coat and Sting to change corruption from 3 to an eye dealing only 1. Sarah played Athelas to heal the fellowship a little, but Dreadful Spells from Isengard and the Nazgul I'd moved there signaled the fall of the Isen Falls and the beginning of the Rohan war. The Return of the Witchking to Angmar allowed me to start moving down to the elven kingdoms as well.

R9) Sarah played Axe and Bow and Elven Rope, I played an Orc Patrol to make things very difficult for the Fellowship, but they'd almost reached Mordor. The Rage of the Dunlendings helped get more troops up towards Rivendell. Meanwhile, I began to besiege Helm's Deep, as the fellowship moved on...

R10) The fellowship reached Mordor; and Helm's Deep fell to my Nazgul. Gandalf the White was in Edoras, rallying the defenders. Most of my second wave of orcs were still in Mordor, and I was running out of time.

R11) The fellowship began to move towards the Crack of Doom, but the Shelob's Lair tile killed Strider. The Mouth of Sauron taunted the Free Peoples, but the fellowship moved on quickly; they hid again with the help of an Elven Ring, and Edoras managed to survive an attack from my forces, and Rivendell came under siege from the Witch King.

(Gandalf the White was very annoying; I had all my Nazgul in the area, but could do nothing against him. Edoras was holding out much longer than it should have, and Sarah had run out of Rohan reinforcements).

R12) Edoras held out against a massed attack from my forces (10 orcs!), and the Ringbearer completed his quest - Sarah had won the game!

Sarah commented afterwards at how different the experience had been as the Fellowship player; I had to agree. In retrospect, I didn't move up quite enough armies to attack the other points on the map - although I took Gondor very quickly once I attacked.

I'd given Sarah a lot of trouble in moving the Fellowship, but they had been able to prevail. I think she ended with about 10 or 11 corruption! It was close. I needed to take Rivendell and Edoras to win. I did blunder by taking the Witchking away from the Rohan battles, as Sarah managed to really hurt me by playing combat cards. I didn't play enough of them, and the Witchking would have been able to increase my supply markedly.

The game took about 2 hours, as have all of our three games so far. A good game, and we'll play again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:
R4) Gandalf revealed his Wizard's Staff, but it was immediately needed to counteract Isildur's Bane.

You can't use Wizard's Staff to counteract Isildur's Bane. You can only use it when you're revealed from a Hunt.

MerricB wrote:
R5) the Witch King joined the armies...
R6) Saruman declared himself as a traitor in Orthanc.

You may find that mustering your minions sooner will help greatly.

MerricB wrote:
R6) Gandalf the Grey left the fellowship and sped towards Rohan, becoming Gandalf the White when he reached there.

When Gandalf the White enters play, he goes to an Elven Stronghold or Fanghorn. It seems like you might have made a minor mistake here, so I figured I'd mention it.

MerricB wrote:
The game took about 2 hours, as have all of our three games so far. A good game, and we'll play again soon.

For your third game, 2 hours is really impressive!

Nice report, as always!

Ira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
MerricB wrote:
R4) Gandalf revealed his Wizard's Staff, but it was immediately needed to counteract Isildur's Bane.

You can't use Wizard's Staff to counteract Isildur's Bane. You can only use it when you're revealed from a Hunt.

Oops. I'll remember that.

ira212 wrote:
You may find that mustering your minions sooner will help greatly.

I think that will be the case.

ira212 wrote:
When Gandalf the White enters play, he goes to an Elven Stronghold or Fanghorn. It seems like you might have made a minor mistake here, so I figured I'd mention it.

I do believe you're correct (upon reviewing my notes). I'll have to give the Gandalf the White card a closer look - it's at Sarah's place at present as she's decided to start painting the minis.

ira212 wrote:
For your third game, 2 hours is really impressive!

Nice report, as always!

Thank you - and thank you very much for the rules clarifications and advice. They've been very helpful.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
ira212 wrote:

Wizard's Staff reads: You may discard Wizard's Staff to prevent the shadow player from drawing a hunt tile.

Isildur's Bane reads: Draw a hunt tile ...

I can't see anything about it only working when being revealed.

ira212 wrote:

Only if Gandalf the Grey is dead. If Gandalf the Grey leaves the fellowship, and then becomes Gandalf the White, he is simply replaced where ever he might be, not moved to Fanghorn or an Elven Stronghold. Gandalf never died in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say, it's easier to check the cards when you've got the cards with you. Thanks, Sarah.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure is.

No problems!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
Livia wrote:

Wizard's Staff reads: You may discard Wizard's Staff to prevent the shadow player from drawing a hunt tile.

You're totally right! I'm sorry about that. I was looking at the online .pdf files with the card text, which aren't entirely accurate. I agree that you should use the actual card text, which is quite clear, as you noted.

Livia wrote:

ira212 wrote:

Only if Gandalf the Grey is dead. If Gandalf the Grey leaves the fellowship, and then becomes Gandalf the White, he is simply replaced where ever he might be, not moved to Fanghorn or an Elven Stronghold. Gandalf never died in this game.

Again, you're total right! Sorry if I added any confusion to an already complex rules set.

Ira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
It's okay Ira, you were trying to help and that's good I was thinking that maybe I'd missed some errata update or extra information in the FAQ or something, so posted it for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ira212 wrote:
Livia wrote:

You're totally right! I'm sorry about that. I was looking at the online .pdf files with the card text, which aren't entirely accurate. I agree that you should use the actual card text, which is quite clear, as you noted.

Ira was right the first time. The online PDF files take precedence over the actual physical cards. Thus Wiz's staff can't prevent those fellowship-bangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
ira212 wrote:
Livia wrote:

You're totally right! I'm sorry about that. I was looking at the online .pdf files with the card text, which aren't entirely accurate. I agree that you should use the actual card text, which is quite clear, as you noted. :)

Ira was right the first time. The online PDF files take precedence over the actual physical cards. Thus Wiz's staff can't prevent those fellowship-bangers.
:(

You are an experienced player, Mr. Weasely, so I tend to believe what you say. Nonetheless, I'm wondering if you could provide the reason why you'd use the online PDF file over an actual physical card?

I couldn't find anything in the FAQ about it, nor anything published by FFG about card misprints. Can you point me in the right direction?

The only thing I found on the official website is here:
http://fantasyflightgames.com/wotrarticlesfpcards.html

Which states, "We also find Wizard’s Staff, which is a bit more powerful than the two cards mentioned above since it will prevent the Shadow player from drawing a Hunt tile when he should."

That doesn't mention anything about "after a successful Hunt," which yields strength to the actual card text in my mind.

From my experience with CCGs, I always use actual card text unless there's official errata or misprints published. Online card lists can often be wrong.

Thanks!

Ira

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.