Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GAME LOG

September 12th, 2013

Number of Players : 2 (Playing 2 Characters Each)
Game Length : 6.25 hrs
Winner : ADAM (Tavern Maid)
End Card: Hand Of Doom

Adam: Tavern Maid / Knight
Brian: Warlock / Elf

I knew it was only a matter of time before Brian succumbed to the joys of the Timescape and today was the day!

It was a “last minute middle of the week and we both happened to be off scramble” kind of thing. Plus it was raining. What else were we going to do except play Talisman?

After he stormed out of the last game I knew I had to go easy on the fella and it was for this reason I turned down the Sorceress as one of my characters, but when I saw he had the Warlock I realized my folly and didn’t hesitate when it came time to choose the Tavern Maid. I was going to force those drinks down his throat. My other choice was the Knight (a solid character from the base game that you can’t go wrong with) and his other choice was the Elf. I didn’t dare mention the fact that he was one of the characters from our Worst of the Worst game last month...

Early on in the game I had drawn a Warp Gate and for some inexplicable reason Brian said “Screw it - I’m going in”. For those who don’t know, Brian has vehemently resisted the Timescape since we introduced it to our Revised 4th Edition games earlier this year. Well for all his blustering about how awful it was he received 3 extra strength, a gyro-compass, a medi-kit, Alien Artifact, a large chunk of Gold and a host of Trophies for his trouble. He still didn’t like it when he waltzed out of there fully jacked. There’s just no pleasing some people!

This game seemed destined to be the game of Warlock Quests. Honestly, we probably visit the Warlock’s Cave once or twice a game - if that. Today we racked up a stunning 12 Warlock Quests between us. Don’t ask me why. I guess it’s just more proof of what a random game Talisman is. But it meant we got to experience a lot of Quest Rewards that normally don’t see the light of day. Fantastic.

We also got to see quite a few adventure cards that after years of playing have still never to come up (which I think is part of the joy of this game) - Raging Volcano (wow - the chance to wipe the entire board clean of cards - what a great card!), Boneyard, the stranger Augur and the curious Hungering Artifact, an object that states you must discard all adventure cards on your space at the end of your turn. This could be good or bad - for example, what if you were to get the Magic Stream or Fountain of Wisdom? You certainly wouldn’t want to discard those. Alas, all our worry was for nothing as we didn’t experience one stream, pool or lake this entire game. Another unheard of feat. We actually went through the adventure deck after the game ended to see how long it would have taken to reach one. Forget about it!

Brian seemed to be having all the luck at first. Even when I cast Generosity to steal all of the Warlock’s gold, he had Spell Call up his sleeve which simply allowed him to steal it all back again - plus mine! He had two horse and carts, a mule and enough objects to fill them too! The Elf had picked up the Flying Carpet and endlessly found his way to the Temple to gain many extra attributes...how many 6’s can one roll one after the other? A lot. The Tavern Maid was able to take advantage of one of the new cards we experienced - Mischievous Devil - and took the flying carpet from the Elf. This would eventually determine the outcome of the game...

The Knight was slowly making his way without anyone really noticing. Kind of like the hare and the tortoise. A very apt analogy since when the Knight headed into the City intent on purchasing the Pet Glitter, he ended up with Terence the Turtle. At first, I was really quite disappointed with this but I have to say it turned out to be a real blessing in disguise. When Brian drew Cursed By The Hag and had to drop all the Warlock’s followers and extra objects it was Terence that enabled me to pick them all up. The Knight was in premier position.

At this point the Cairn Caretaker was drawn and we all flocked to it like gulls to a Vegemite sandwich. Strength and Craft increased like crazy and now we were all strong enough to make a crack at the Crown of Command.

For some reason the path of choice was through the Dungeon. The Warlock headed there first, followed by the Elf. The end was in sight as they both made there way through the darkened tunnels and tough enemies. The Knight was prancing around in the City looking for action but to no avail. The Tavern Maid saw only one option - head into the dungeon too, use the Flying Carpet and get to the Lord Of Darkness before the other adventurers. Her second roll in the dungeon was indeed a 6 and off she floated past the frustrated Elf and furious Warlock.

She beat the Lord of Darkness with an 8+ difference - exactly what was needed to get to the Crown of Command. As usual, we played Alternate Ending and when I flipped over the card it was....
THE HAND OF DOOM!
Another 6 rolled meant all characters were killed and the Tavern Maid won the game!!!

End Stats below:

WARLOCK - St(16) Cr(9) Li(5) Fa(0) Go(9)

ELF - St(12) Cr(10) Li(5) Fa(0) Go(9)

TAVERN MAID - St(13) Cr(8) Li(6) Fa(3) Go(0)

KNIGHT - St(16) Cr(7) Li(10) Fa(1) Go(8)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Knight isn't from the base game, but from The Reaper expansion. Perhaps you mean the Warrior?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, of course whistle Well caught!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to draw the Tavern Maid but I reaaallly want to try her out. I love characters that can mess with other players directly.

How often did she choose to stop on your opponents and make them drink?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this game just a few times but i have played her in the past. In one game in particular it was our first time with the City expansion and i drew the Tavern Maid. At first glance i wasn't all that excited but i picked her simply because she was new. She turned out to be one of my favourite characters ever! One of the other players was playing the alchemist and I hit him up NON-STOP throughout the whole game. He kept getting more coin, I kept pouring him drinks.It was a match made in heaven! Fabulous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In one game a month or two back one of my opponents had her but wasn't utilizing her ability. I asked him why and he responded that he wanted to interact with spaces rather than players...

I tried to explain how cool "generous tip" was given some of the cool toys everyone had picked up at that point but he wouldn't have it.

I imagine that as long as I have the chance to snag something and at least deprive it's owner of the object's use it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls