Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mb
I've searched the rules questions here, but I still need this clarification:

(1) You can only repair if you end the turn on a repair site (that one I know) but...

(2) If you pass through a repair site, do you update your Archive marker, or does that only happen if you land exactly on a flag or repair site? What if I use a Move 3 card and go right through a repair site?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the original operating manual:

REGISTER PHASE SEQUENCE
Reveal Program Cards
Robots Move
Board Elements Move
Resolve Laser Fire
Touch Checkpoints
"Any robot that is still alive at this time ... Robots on checkpoints or repair sites have now updated their archive location."
"The sequence of events is critical here, too. A robot could move onto a checkpoint during the Robots Move segment, but be fired upon during the Resolve Laser Fire segment and receive enough damage to destroy it. In this case, the robot would not have touched the checkpoint."

Specifically we'e always played ... repair sites and checkpoints are only "touched" at the complete end of the register phase.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Boone
United States
Harrison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your assessment regarding the end of the turn, but I have a related question with updating the archive on a flag.

Since you update the archive at the end of the register when touching a wrench square, and the flags all have wrenches on them, do you update your archive when touching the "flag-wrench" although you touched the flag out-of-sequence thus not counting toward the win?

I would suspect not, but the more "lawyerly" among us seem to argue that "a wrench is a wrench".

Thanks,
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not lawyerly.

A wrench is a wrench. You update on a flag-wrench the same as any other wrench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Boone
United States
Harrison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never said I've never been wrong. I was just confused over the distinct seperation of "flag" and "wrench" squares in the explanation of board elements. I even let the interpretion stand. Gaming is supposed to be fun, right?

Any other votes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveB wrote:
Since you update the archive at the end of the register when touching a wrench square, and the flags all have wrenches on them, do you update your archive when touching the "flag-wrench" although you touched the flag out-of-sequence thus not counting toward the win?

You update your archive location any time you finish a register phase on any square with a wrench, including those with a flag.

I think you're asking what happens if you finish a register phase on a flag which isn't your "next" flag in the sequence. For instance, after touching Flag 1, but before touching Flag 2, you finish a register phase on Flag 3. In this case, you update your archive location to Flag 3 as normal. If you die, your archive will be withdrawn on this square. However, the next flag you need to touch remains Flag 2. You can't skip flags, but your archive location can be anywhere, even on a flag you're not "supposed" do go to yet.

This happens occasionally in my games, as we tend to try to design courses which double back upon themselves in the hope of reducing leader break-away. It has the side effect of being more common to end up at a flag "early".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Boone
United States
Harrison
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott. Thanks Marc. Since the Flag was specifically addressed seperately from the Wrench apparently I was being too critical of the definintion. I'm glad I didn't blow the game over this. I guess I was the one playing the lawyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This all got very confusing with the German/Amigo printoing of Roborally. If the translation is accurate, those rules stated that you could tag a flag by driving over it and not coming to rest on it at a phase end. I believe this caused some confusion as to whether such a tag-without-stopping caused an update to archive copy location, and if not, if people could tag a flag without stopping at it and then kill themselves to 'shortcut' back to their last archive copy location (which is probably closer to the next flag).

As far as I know, this was *only* a problem in the German printing (and possibly only in the eglish translation of the German printing). Both the original WotC and new AH editions are consistent in their "touch and update at phase end only" rule.

Where the new AH edition gets confusing is with the Mecahanical Arm attachment and the definition of "diagonal, but not blocked by a wall".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.