This is just a fanciful suggestion that might add abit of fun to game collection statistics.
The following is a link to my video games collection maintained on IGN.com
( http://users.ign.com/collection/Wingdoll ). There are a few interesting things featured there (scroll down to the bottom) such as: games divided under different consoles, percentage game owned from certain consoles, favored platform, favored developer, favored publisher, estimated value of collection and average collection score.
Forgive me if this has already been suggested but I thought it'd be extremely interesting if BGG could generate those sorts of stats for everyone's collections too! Knowing nothing about programming or anything computer orientated - I can only assume that this would be an ardous task to undertake - not to mention useless and therefore this suggestion is completely indulgent (so thank you for your time)!
Anywho, I thought it'd be cool if our games collections:
- Were displayed in groups under different Publishers (this might be hard seeing as games are released by different publishers worldwide)
- Featured percentages of games owned from said publishers as well as the creators of the games and/or percentages of games owned from varying genres of games eg. 43% of Bob's games are from Rio Grande or 38% of Bill's games are wargames
- Featured favored publisher, favored games developer, favored games company etc (I think IGN pulls those out from how many games you have from a certain developer/company/console etc)
- Could estimate the approximate value of our games collection (this one is a toughie in cases such as M:TG where individual cards can be worth up to $US3000 each but such things could be omitted...also it would be approximate to recommended retail price despite most people purchasing discounted games online)
- Displayed the average "score" of our games collection (take the average score of every game in one's collection and average it out...this in essence shows how tasteful someone's games collection is )
*goes off to dream*