Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Duffield
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm pretty new to AoS. We just played our first game last night (and no one went backrupt which I hear is a major achievement). An interesting question came up---

Suppose I'm at a locomotive value of 6 links already but my opponents are starved for locomotive capabilities. I can't choose Locomotive and get up to 7 links, but can I choose it just to make sure no one else gets it? (Assuming I'm a mean cutthroat SOB.)

Thanks for any comments. I love the game and BGG.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hudson
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't play AOS well without being a "mean cutthroat SOB".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
You can't play AOS well without being a "mean cutthroat SOB".

Sure you can... just don't expect to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may choose the locomotive action, thus denying it to your opponents, but your locomotive simply stays at the maximum of 6. Cruelly effective move, when you think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This really is different from what I've heard from people who know better. I don't know, quotes from John Bohrer or something.

I suppose I need to do some research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
This really is different from what I've heard from people who know better. I don't know, quotes from John Bohrer or something.

I suppose I need to do some research.

Quite. It is an excellent tactic to take the Locomotive action just to deprive others from taking it. During our development of AoS, it just one of many cutthroat elements that we often employed.

Good luck with your research, Dave. If you have any questions, just ask. I highly recommend the 5 AoS strategy articles available here on the 'geek!

cool

John
Pittsburgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Duffield
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wow!

I got a response from the author of the game himself.

Thanks for the help guys. BGG is awesome!

And thank you for caring so much about your games John.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
John Bohrer wrote:
It is an excellent tactic to take the Locomotive action just to deprive others from taking it.

I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BusinessIsGood
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I take the Locomotive action, can I also upgrade my locomotive instead of moving a good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If I take the Locomotive action, can I also upgrade my locomotive instead of moving a good?

Yes, but of course you can only upgrade instead of moving a good once out of the two shipping rounds. Also, you can never go above link level 6. Ireland has completely different rules for locomotive, as do a few other expansions, but we are talking about the base game here.

As an example, if your locomotive link level is 2 at the beginning of your turn, and you win the Locomotive action, your link level INSTANTLY goes up to level 3 before you even start shipping. You may then choose to upgrade once more in your turn, perhaps forgoing the first shipping round to upgrade to level 4 and in the second shipping round choosing to ship a cube for 4 income.

Were you able to build sufficient track and win the Locomotive for the first three turns in the game, you could achieve loco level 3 on the first turn and ship a cube for 3 income, level 5 on the second turn and ship a cube for 5 income, and finally reach level 6 on the third turn and ship 2 cubes for 12 income on that turn and for the rest of the game. In practice the track building limit of 3 tiles, the cost of winning the auction and the expenses incurred make this all but impossible, but this is in fact the path you are trying to approximate in order to generate the highest possible score in Age of Steam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BusinessIsGood
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if your level is still less than 6, can you take this action simply to deprive others while you choose not to increase your number of links? (Of course normally you would want to increase it, but I can imagine someone choosing not to if they weren't going to use the extra link and wanted to avoid increasing their expenses.)

The 3rd edition rulebook says "This action allows the player to immediately move their Links disk", so because of the word "allow", I assume it is optional and you could choose to not move it... right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that you mean the latest printing by FRED Distribution? They are all the same edition (same rules, same map, etc.) and the latest is the fourth printing, with all the nifty locomotive pieces. Anyway, you are not required to increase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.