Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mb
Another game I really enjoyed the last time I played but it's not been very popular at the SSG so I haven't played it except that one time. Fortunately Mark had expressed some interest in trying it again and Campbell was new so we had enough to give it a go. David was in a hold pattern trying to decide which game to play - he eventually decided to round out the Chinatown group to 4 players and we set off to populate Chinatown with growing businesses. The game is about getting money - and that happens when you turn city blocks of land that you control into adjacent businesses. The problem is that you will be randomly given land blocks - and randomly given business tiles so it is near impossible to draw just what you need. The rest of the game involves heavy negotiation and deal making to acquire the right plots of land and the additional business tiles you need to complete a business and score for it. As the business grows, it is worth more money until it completes and then it tops out and remains lucrative for the remainder of the game. We used our very cheesy (and politically incorrect) Chinese accents - and even slipped into some other weird accents (French, Scottish, etc) just to make sure it was clear we were not picking on any one accent and that it was all in fun. Some very light moments spread throughout the game - we certainly didn't take it seriously at all and I think the game is much more enjoyable when played that way. Not soon will we forget the great Campbell line - "Jade Dragon on FIRE! Call back later!" or Mark's "I'm Frrruckt". Hehheh... It was very clear that I had drawn some very good cards and tiles - if I wasn't using them I was able to trade or deal them effectively. David made a late surge with some huge 6-tile businesses but in the end I took a narrow victory. Everyone agreed the game can be dry and calculating - but we largely managed to avoid that with some role playing and Chinatown smalk-talk that worked well. I enjoyed my 2nd play - now if I can ever find 3 more willing entrepreneurs.... Ah-So!

Scores: Dave=114, David=111, Campbell=98, Mark=78

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.