Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Enfield
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This question came up in a recent game: Can the Admiral card be played to swap two boats?

The rules say
Quote:
Players may not play cards whose actions cannot be carried out.
I have two ships in play, in harbor A and harbor B, and I want to burn the Admiral card while staying in those same harbors. So, I sail one ship from A to B and the other from B to A, thereby carrying out the prescribed actions without changing the board state.

Quote:
A player may not have both of his ships in a single harbor. No harbor may contain more than 2 ships. In the 2-player game, no harbor may contain more than 1 ship.
But did I move these wo ships simultaneously, or sequentially? If the latter, then both must have been in a single harbor at a point in time. Illegal, or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very devious of you.

Personally I would say that goes against the spirit of the rules and I would vote to disallow it if it happened in one of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I would allow it for following the rules as written. Then again, I don't believe in the "spirits of games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Tracey
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm just curious, why would you want to do that? I can see the basic reason, doing it so you don't have to score. But, why would you want to stall that doing nothing? I would think that that would make you at best in an equal position before, and would probably decrease your strength in the areas to be scored. The only reason I could see is if someone who was leading was about to get another big score, and you wanted to stall the score so someone else could move in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an excellent reason to delay. Also, when someone moves to improve their score, taking down the leader, they may also increase your score at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tycho wrote:
This question came up in a recent game: Can the Admiral card be played to swap two boats?

The rules say
Quote:
Players may not play cards whose actions cannot be carried out.
I have two ships in play, in harbor A and harbor B, and I want to burn the Admiral card while staying in those same harbors. So, I sail one ship from A to B and the other from B to A, thereby carrying out the prescribed actions without changing the board state.

Quote:
A player may not have both of his ships in a single harbor. No harbor may contain more than 2 ships. In the 2-player game, no harbor may contain more than 1 ship.
But did I move these wo ships simultaneously, or sequentially? If the latter, then both must have been in a single harbor at a point in time. Illegal, or not?

I'd say you shouldn't be able to do it with the ships but you CAN if performing a similar maneuver with the villagers since there is no violation of space occupation other than 7 total (which you CAN exceed for movement)

Actually, you can't move one INTO a province of 7 and then move the other out...since the 7 stacking limits would be violated...you could move Through a 7 (using 2 MP) and then the other village through the same area with the other 2 MP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Coppola
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It appears that the designer did not consider the simultaneous vs. sequential ship movement issue. I wonder what the answer would have been had the designer done so ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.