Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a little bit now, I haven't been able to create paragraphs in game comments. If I put in a newline, then it's deleted when I hit "submit". My old comments still have newlines in them, but if I edit them the newlines are deleted. Are other folks having this problem, or is it just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't just you... but you're only half right.

The line feeds *do*, for some reason, disappear in the comment field on the game page after you submit changes... but... they show up normally on the page with *everyone's* comments - you know, when you click the number link for "Personal Comments."

So even though it look all wonky and wrong to you, it still looks right to everyone else.

The real question is: how come the comment field itself has disappeared now? You have to "open" (edit) it everytime you want to type something in. As a guy who enters some sort of comment for every game I rate, this extra step is a BIG DRAG.

Is this a permanent change? Can it be altered as a preference? It is just part of the buggy mischegas growing pains thing?

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I call it a feature, not a bug. If you write enough in a game comment that you need a second paragraph, then write a review instead. I like short and too the point comments, hence the term comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I'm confused.

Do you think the "feature" is that line feeds disappear from your own personal view but appear normal to others? Or that you have to actually "open" the comment field to type anything at all?

'Cause, really, neither of these have to do with length.

Almost all of my comments are only one paragraph - often only one sentence (albeit a run-on one). But currently, to even type in the pithy Clark D. Rodeffer "Sounds interesting. I may be willing to trade for a copy"... well, you must first click the "edit" link next to Comments, because the comment field no longer defaults to "open."

As for line feeds... for many, it has nothing to do with length, but rather style.

Some people like to do stuff like this:

(3 plays total)
(most recent play: 2/14/06)
Amazingly elegant for such a light filler. Still loving it.

Or this:

Tons of dense little decisions. I wish all games were this good.

[many plays later]

Man, this didn't hold up. I see now that most of the decisions are "obvious," and with almost every game ending in a close race, I feel like none of my decision ultimately matter.

But to them, it shows up like this:

(3 plays total)(most recent play: 2/14/06)Amazingly dense for such a light filler. Still loving it.

and

Tons of dense little decisions. I wish all games were this good.[many plays later]Man, this didn't hold up. I see now that most of the decisions are "obvious," and with almost every game ending in a close race, I feel like none of my decision ultimately matter.

As for length... I don't mind it, myself. You can always choose not to read it.

I can't speak for others, but often I have no idea how long my comments are gonna be. Like you, I'd rather they be short (I have no interest in writing reviews) but sometimes I have more than just one thought... especially for games rated 6-8, where you almost always benefit from some clarifying, since those ratings can be tougher to understand than the 10's or the 1's.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure he was just trying to be funny. He was just complaining about comments, like mine, that tend to run on. I say tough noogies... I frequently just add additional comments to the end rather than re-write my current comments.

By the way, it seems that the linefeeds are only gone immediately after the submission. If you refresh the page, the linefeeds come back.

Strange...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.