Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question. I asked a stupid one last week before playing, and that was easily sorted out by a response here and then reading the rules more carefully. Now I have one that I feel I already know the answer to, but half of the players in my group disagree, and asked me to get opinions, so I'd like to know how others play it.

When you play cards with special abilities, the rule states:

"After a player plays a card with special abilities, he can use those abilities."

That seems pretty clear to me. In the case of the Turtle and Hedgehog, they are allowed to enter a cabin with larger carnivores/omnivores.

Some seem to think this would allow a larger carnivore/omnivore to enter a cabin already containing the Turtle or Hedgehog. I think this would in effect be giving the special ability to the person playing those larger animal cards rather than the one playing the special card.

I'd like to know how your group plays this. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
The special ability only applies to the person playing the animal into the cabin. Once the card is placed, the placement rules go back to normal, including for the one with special abilities.

If I'm not mistaken, this is clarified in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Gormley
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The (English Rio Grande) rules state:
Quote:
When a player plays a card with special abilities (!), he can use those abilities.

However the abilities of certain special animals are more like attributes and given the logical consistency of the game, the attributes are likely to be persistent.

That is, if a Hedgehog isn't eaten by larger animals when it is played, it won't be eaten by any later larger animals.

Both the Hedgehog and Turtle's attribute is:
Quote:
Not bothered by larger carnivores or omnivores, and so can share a cabin with them.

However, the Fox ability is specifically limited to when played.
Quote:
When a player add the fox to the ark, he takes 2 action discs from the supply.

NB http://www.doris-frank.de/archeFAQ.html points out that whilst herbivore Turtles can share with a carnivore/omnivore of equal size, the omnivore Hedgehog can only share with a larger carnivore/omnivore as the Hedgehog would eat equal sized or smaller animals.

Hope this helps!

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.