Subject: Played online version... not impressed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Kuntz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
It's actually quite a good online demo. The problem is, the game is linear and there are no hands. In other words, it's a much more colorful version of that old cardgame War. You play what comes up next and deal with the effects. I have not idea at all where any strategy would enter into this system. There seemed to be no point where you could choose "do A or B or C". Only "do A", without variation. There are some nice touches, but they happen simply because they are preordained to happen depending on whatever random card you next select. It's a nice looking game, but the preview shows no depth whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Wong
United States
Marlboro
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where can you find the online demo? Do you mean the flash video showing Zuko and Aang playing a game against each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alper
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's the same gaming system as the pirates of the caribbean tcg; it's not quite true to say there are no decisions, because you constantly have to decide whether you want to pay the energy cost for a card, or focus that energy and drop to another level; there are definite tradeoffs in doing this (after the third level, you lose the round; and you give the opponent more energy when you counterstike from deeper levels), and energy management and the distribution of cards in your deck should play a role in these decisions.

that said, it's definitely pretty lightweight compared to other tcgs.
I've enjoyed playing (the pirates tcg) with my pre-teen son, but I'm not going to be looking for any pro tournaments anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.