Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Tombs: The Sword of Valhalla» Forums » General

Subject: 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest WIP - Tombs The sword of valhalla (Contest Ready) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Tombs - prototype
Designed for the http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1002891/2013-solitaire-print...

Tombs is a quick and easy game of tombraiding in both colour and (printer kind)lineart versions. The tombs board is a brickwork grid of tiles the player must navigate to reach thier goal. However the Tomb is always geared against the player who must keep thier valiant band of explorers alive by managing equipment to argument the trials of the Tomb and steal the treasures.

Contest Ready, link below.

Print the a4 sheet
add 4 dice
no construction, just print and play
5 mins to read the rules
10-15 mins play time

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ILcboyDVtFaVFQclBOa1ozb1k/...

Low Ink version
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ILcboyDVtFVTdTdU1DLWRaNk0/...

enjoy

Good Luck Everyone

8Rad
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Markham
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2013 Solitaire Print and Play Contest WIP - Tombs (Initial Playtesting)
Those are all good sounding ideas, and I'm appreciative of your initiative and enthusiasm...now get back to work and don't come 'round here again until you've brought home the bacon!

Daddy needs substance, not plans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
he he will do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm for the 20/30s pulp theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's where my heads at too. and it works with all sorts of backdrops, inca, egypt, greek tombs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Contest Ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the way you've written the rules, but I think that it could be tweaked to make the voice of the text more consistent.

1) The sentence "and the third positioned on the leftmost tile of the map" could in my opinion be improved by changing "leftmost" to "south eastern" (and perhaps add a compass or north pointing arrow). This would also have the benefit that "leftmost" is actually ambigous, since the top tile of the first three tile row is more or less as far to the left as the entrance space.

2) In most sentence you use the word "we", which works well to give the reader the feeling that he's reading the journal of the explorers, but everyonce in a while you break this by talking directly to the reader, e.g. "This dice represents how many EXPLORERS you have." (This could be changed to something like "to mark the size of our group of EXPLORERS.")

I love games that require no construction and have quick rules. I'll report back if I get the chance to try out your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more: In the sentence "Each day we should First ROLL against the table those symbol matches [...]", "those" should be "whose", and I would lower case "First".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just print the game. I really like your illustration for game board and it's fantastic that we need only one A4 and four dices to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Really appreciate the feedback and love the idea of the compass. Not sure if i can change it once its contest ready. The text was a tough call, at first it was way more but had to cut it right down to fit it all on the page. The "we" and "you" was like "we" for favour and "you" for instruction. But yeah agree it could be more consistent with all "we".

Going to collect all/any feedback and redo another version for bbg.

look forward to your report if you get a mo to play

8rad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Rad wrote:
Really appreciate the feedback and love the idea of the compass. Not sure if i can change it once its contest ready. The text was a tough call, at first it was way more but had to cut it right down to fit it all on the page. The "we" and "you" was like "we" for favour and "you" for instruction. But yeah agree it could be more consistent with all "we".

Going to collect all/any feedback and redo another version for bbg.

look forward to your report if you get a mo to play

8rad

Yes, I think you need to keep an unchanged version for the contest after declaring the game "Contest Ready", but you are allowed to make an updated version as long as the contest ready version is clearly marked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again

I have a question: Is there a mistake in the Camp action or am I missing something: It costs one inventory point, and it allows you to pay one artifact to get one inventory. So you spend 1 inventory point and 1 artifact to get 1 inventory point, i.e. you pay 1 artifact for nothing.

Two extra comments:
1) In the second line of the setup rule section there's a extraneaous space between "the 6 face up" and the ".".
2) The phrase "Hex Tile" is perhaps a bit unfortunate, at least for me it made me think of one of these:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"I have a question: Is there a mistake in the Camp action or am I missing something: It costs one inventory point, and it allows you to pay one artifact to get one inventory. So you spend 1 inventory point and 1 artifact to get 1 inventory point, i.e. you pay 1 artifact for nothing."

Camp was tricky one, i figured you need to use some inventory to strike camp, in the prototype it was two points, but a situation would occur where you had say 5 artifacts but only 1 IP so your were stuck and could not sell your finds. So the best way round was to make it cost one point, yes pointless if you only have one artifact but still allows the game to flow. So in this situation the player wants to keep excavating the tile your on for more finds and hope nothing bad happens. My strategy was to farm the easier tiles for loads of artifacts before moving up.

Hex tile lol i never noticed that. Hex (norse witchery) being more in line with the theme than "curse". and thanks for pointing out the space, done allot of text removal to get it all to fit without using micro text. But thanks for your feedback, all added to the log.

8rad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two games today and have a few comments:

1) The rules are well written and easy to understand. My only issue is the one mentioned previously about the Camp action

2) It would be nice if the player had a little more influence on the game.

3) I'd suggest replacing the four textual tables with one table with symbols:

1 2 3 4 5 6
Y
n
p
F

The entries in the table would then be symbolic, e.g. let's say that # is a symbol representing artifacts, then you you write "#+1" instead of "Move the inventory point die +1 along the artifact track". This would give sevaral benefits:
a) It will be quicker to read the tables.
b) It will make it easier to compare the four types of tiles.
c) It will make the table take up less space.

4) AFAICT it's not clear from the text what happens when the Hex die goes above 6 or you get less than 1 on the F-rune table.

5) In the first game I got to the penultimate row, and in the second game I got to the fourth row (in case you're gathering statistics on the difficulty).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
more excellent feedback thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent job on the art for this. wish i had your drafting skills.

printing up a copy tomorrow to try out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Eximeno
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game.

I feel that I only can make one or two decisions in the game. My fate is in the die. Buy I enjoy the game and I want to play again.

Question:

How can I modify Hex Tile die? Events in table increments Hex Tile die, but I don't know how I can modify to 0 for win the game in last tile.

Edit:

Three more games and I always die on 2-3 row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In a hole in the ground there lived a
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
eximeno wrote:
My first game.
Question:

How can I modify Hex Tile die? Events in table increments Hex Tile die, but I don't know how I can modify to 0 for win the game in last tile.

I can't figure this part out either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eximeno wrote:
My first game.

I feel that I only can make one or two decisions in the game. My fate is in the die. Buy I enjoy the game and I want to play again.

Question:

Edit:

AFAICT you you can't modify the hex die downwards, but you can counteract it by spending inventory points to modify your roll on the F-rune table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
eximeno wrote:
My first game.

Question:

Edit:

AFAICT you you can't modify the hex die downwards, but you can counteract it by spending inventory points to modify your roll on the F-rune table.

Spot on, yes hex die cant be brought down and can only be countered by using up inventory. The idea being the longer you spend robbing the tomb the more the tomb reacts against you.

"I feel that I only can make one or two decisions in the game. My fate is in the die. Buy I enjoy the game and I want to play again."

Glad your enjoying it, the decisions are boiled down to 3 areas but its definitely a light game geared more toward strategy than tactics.

1.Which tile to move to, take the more direct but costly path, or take the longer path farming artifacts to keep the expedition funded.
2.When to use inventory, the real engine of the game. Using your inventory to counter what the game throws at you.
3.When to sell artifacts, pitching camp to sell, resupply and recruit. A vital part to winning.

but again thanks for the feedback one and all, always learning

8rad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In a hole in the ground there lived a
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
8Rad wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
eximeno wrote:
My first game.

Question:

Edit:

Spot on, yes hex die cant be brought down and can only be countered by using up inventory. The idea being the longer you spend robbing the tomb the more the tomb reacts against you.

"I feel that I only can make one or two decisions in the game. My fate is in the die. Buy I enjoy the game and I want to play again."

Glad your enjoying it, the decisions are boiled down to 3 areas but its definitely a light game geared more toward strategy than tactics.

1.Which tile to move to, take the more direct but costly path, or take the longer path farming artifacts to keep the expedition funded.
2.When to use inventory, the real engine of the game. Using your inventory to counter what the game throws at you.
3.When to sell artifacts, pitching camp to sell, resupply and recruit. A vital part to winning.

but again thanks for the feedback one and all, always learning

8rad

Of course, I totally missed that. Thanks for your patient answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovely to see an art-led p n p as opposed to the clip-art fests that often spoil some genuinely nice game mechanics. Your visual also reminds me of classic ZX Spectrum games which is no bad thing. Good luck in the competition - you get my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Szalai
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love the ~3d map and the way you tell the rules as part of the story. I actually would like to steal these ideas for one of my future projects, if you don't mind.

By the way, you could enhance this diary-like introduction, if you give it a handwrittenlike lettering, make it italic and justified.

What i didn't like about the game that it seemed extremely hard, almost impossible to win. You need more inventory than you start with, but it's more likely to lose inventory than it is to get inventory or at least artifact. Also, the dice has much more effect than the player, what is something most player don't like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"Lovely to see an art-led p n p as opposed to the clip-art fests that often spoil some genuinely nice game mechanics. Your visual also reminds me of classic ZX Spectrum games which is no bad thing. Good luck in the competition - you get my vote."

thanks for the kind words... blush, i grew up playing those sort of games i.e knightlore, atticattack and where time stood still etc so i do draw a lot in insperation from them.

Oh and thanks for your vote thumbsup

8rad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8Rad Games
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
robcsi90 wrote:
I love the ~3d map and the way you tell the rules as part of the story. I actually would like to steal these ideas for one of my future projects, if you don't mind.

By the way, you could enhance this diary-like introduction, if you give it a handwrittenlike lettering, make it italic and justified.

What i didn't like about the game that it seemed extremely hard, almost impossible to win. You need more inventory than you start with, but it's more likely to lose inventory than it is to get inventory or at least artifact. Also, the dice has much more effect than the player, what is something most player don't like.

Yes you steal away, im stoked you want to use them for your own stuff. I did try the fancy lettering but it was just to hard to read that small. Its is a hard game to win but if you farm as many artifacts early on to fund more inventory ya never know. The dice/luck does play a big role, my idea was this was offset by the player using inventory to off set. Again the more artifacts you find the more you can do this. That said alot more time could have went into playtesting and balacing the tables more. Im keeping all the feedback i get for a revision after the contest and maybe more maps. So thanks again everyone who has taken the time to add their thoughts

8rad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.