Popular Tags: [View All]
John Toppe
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this game for several months before I was able to convince my wife to give it a try. She's enjoyed some of the lighter Euro's we've played (Carcassonne, TtR, Lost Cities) and I was hoping to get her to play Hansa. The trick is to just leave the box sitting on the kitchen table long enough, and she gets curious.

She's always apprehensive about the first time playing because I'm the one who's read the rules, reviews, strategy, etc. and therefore have a leg up--which is true I set up the board, explained the rules, gave her a few pointers, and off we went. My wife sold off goods quicker than I, but I had several monopolies in the cities, giving me the edge in our first game. (Scoring is Cities: 1 barrel: 2 barrel: 3 barrel: Total)
John: 24,6,15,12 57
Mamie: 12,8,15,16 51

So I won, but it was a close game, and therefore Mamie was willing to offer to play again two days later. Since this was our second game we both plotted our moves better (for most of the game she would park the ship in the upper right corner and make me spend thalers to move or buy from her--again, and again, and again...) and sold a few more goods. This time she had the monopolies, so the scoring was

John: 14,8,21,20 63
Mamie: 22,6,8,16 52

Even though she lost by more points than the first time, Mamie played a better game and is willing to play it again sometime (which is the real win here). Now that we're comfortable with it, Hansa plays quickly--we're both happy with a good move rather than the perfect move. It's a nice game to add to our rotation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! I finally got my wife to play a 2-player game just last night. I barely beat her but she was talking about what she should have done differently for a few hours afterward which means to mean...it was a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.