Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] cranky_rant [+] [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek of the Week: Josh Adelson (MisterCranky)

Profile: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/MisterCranky

Geek of the week is an open forum focused on getting to know our Geek of the Week. I've never met this fellow and I've never known just what to make of him--is he serious? Does he just enjoy pushing buttons? Is he really just one personality? I never quite know when reading his posts. But he does a good job of keeping his "Cranky" persona going here on BGG. Could he actually be that cranky in real life? I want to know. Hope the rest of you do, too.

Now, the job of the outgoing Geek of the Week is to start the next thread with a geek they don't personally know. I'm also to request a short bio from the new Geek of the Week. So I did. And I am assured that all except for the pre-birth stuff is 100% true (and I bet that womb stuff is at least partially true). The questions y'all come up with should be interesting.

And questions are a key part of the Crankster's BGG world. As of this writing, he sits atop the list of "most GeekQuestions asked" (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekquestions.php3?action=stats). I'm sure Bill Cleary (puffinge) will soon reclaim the throne, but for now, Cranky is #1. It's true that GeekQuestions is sooo 2005, you know, but you can learn a lot about a person from their answers. Josh's can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekquestions.php3?action=answe... and you can find his most recent questions here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekquestions.php3?action=quest... . Go ahead. Read for awhile. You may get addicted as I once was.

Josh's biography (submitted by MisterCranky last Wednesday):

"The Story of Cranky (A Cautionary Tale)

"My first gaming memory is of playing Twenty Questions in the womb. The worst part of that was that I didn't know any words, and so all of my questions were essentially the same: "Urrrghh?" Well, the actual worst part was that I received no answers at all, for what seemed like an eternity. Finally I was brought out (breech style, for the detail-oriented around here) into the light and had my gooey little butt smacked around mercilessly by people in very reflective clothing. It annoyed me then, and it still annoys me to this day. (I am very, very slow to get over slights--both real and merely perceived.) So games and crankiness are inexorably twined at my molecular level.

"The next major irritation that formed my lifelong affiliation with crankiness was the assassination of JFK on my fourth birthday. It would be shallow and stupid to say this ruined my day--that was taken care of earlier by a very high fever and cancellation of whatever miniscule party my handlers had planned. No, I felt bad for Mrs. Kennedy and the children. Whatever the hell happened, be it Oswald or a conspiracy involving the Giancanas or whatever--it was a rude, cruel, miserable way to handle somebody as worthwhile as President Kennedy. The USA has yet to see anybody in power since then more deserving of admiration and support. I miss JFK on a daily basis. (Not so much RFK, and frankly I sometimes wish Teddy were at the bottom of Nantucket Sound.)

"Shortly after that crushing blow to Democracy and the American Way, I was sexually abused by an 18-year old boy who lived five houses down. He offered to fix the chain on my sister's bike when I was riding it around the block one balmy day, and one thing led to another. It's not the sort of story you usually see in Geek of the Week, and I felt it was high time to look at some of the seamier events that can lead to a lifetime of playing games. In my case, after all was revealed to the proper authorities, my parents did what good parents do by having me evaluated for lasting damage by both a psychiatrist and (after he turned out to only want to psychoanalyze my mother) a psychologist. Though the psychiatrist did play one game of chess with me, as I recall, it was the psychologist who used to play all manner of fun stuff with me in order to determine my stability and whatnot. My inability to color within the lines had no bearing on my ability to cheerfully lose boardgames to a person 40 years my senior, and I was deemed fit to reenter society at large.

"The rest is all obvious, and barely needs elaboration. I love games, I love gaming, and on an individual basis I love gamers. It's large collections of people that I tend to find upsetting. My mother (who rejected the notion that she needed psychoanalysis) had a saying along the lines of "people are basically bad." And she was right. Basically, we're all bad. But we do rise to goodness on occasion, and gaming is a pastime that lends itself to putting one's most amiable foot forward. Thank God for the internet, or people would mistake me for a pretty easygoing guy a lot of the time."

I would list Josh's key geek lists here, but he doesn't really have any.

Now, in my serious research for starting this thread, I attempted to read everything MisterCranky has ever written here on BGG. I gave up after about 10 minutes, realizing that I'd be at that task for 5 months. But I did discover some things that need answers. So, in my official duty as pace car to the Adelson 500 version of Geek of the Week, I present my questions.

1. So who is your father? You mention him on your profile page under "favorite TV shows." Is his name Merv by any chance?
2. You frequently mention(ed) playing with the CABS (Columbus Area Boardgamers) folk, but you list your location as Arizona. Tell us, where are you, really? Why'd you move? Ever moving back?
3. We all want to know, what do you do (ie, profession, career, what you get paid for)?
4. I was going to ask if you're married and/or have kids. But in researching you (some might say cyber-stalking), I realized that you honeymooned in Yellowstone Park, so I'm guessing that you were at least married once, back in '88. Still true? Children?
5. Apparently, Mrs. Cranky is a gamer, too. Does she ever hang out here?
6. You purchased pretty much every non-wargame from Avalon Hill. Good for you. Still play many of them? Ever try a wargame? Was it a good experience?
7. You apparently know of the pepper pawns from Spices of the World. Have you actually played that game?
8. You list Dragonmaster as your #2 game. I see that is has something to do with Coup d'Etat, which is a fine game. What makes Dragonmaster better?
9. Your #1 hot game now is Cleveland-Detroit Grand Prix. Do you really play it a lot? Do you find it somehow better than Daytona 500 and Top Race? If you say yes, please defend yourself.
10. So, you're a pretty big tipper here, yet you don't give praise very often (thumbs up). Is there any meaning in that?
11. I see from your answer to GeekQuestion 12231 that you have some opinions about politics (don't we all). But do you really worry about that stuff or just make your comments and then go about something else? Like, have you ever attended a demonstration to get your fair share of abuse?
12. You rate a lot of games as 10s (not that there's anything wrong with that). Is it that you're just too easy? A wussy in wolf's clothing?
13. You don't like Facts in Five or Scattergories. I can understand the latter, but as to the former, what's wrong with you?
14. I see some of your game rating comments indicate that you will rate an unplayed game a 6. Is that a standard Cranky policy? Would it apply to wargames, too?
15. You don't seem to be a fan of too many party games (see comment on Wise & Otherwise). Why do you think that is? Remember that you think highly of Bang as you answer this.
16. OK, tell me why Hyano is so special? I'd never heard of it before.
17. Why are you so involved with GeekQuestions? It seems that most BGGers have left that near-invisible sector of the 'geek. Do you think it should be more prominently featured on the front page?
18. What type of gamer would you peg yourself as? I see that you rate several train games highly, but others not quite so. I see that you aren't a party gamer. So, what genre do you tend to enjoy a lot? Do deduction or election games attract your attention just because of the theme, for instance?
19. I'm puzzled by your Top 10 games of all time on your profile. You have plenty of 10s listed in your rankings, yet Acquire is a mere 7, but is your #5 game of all time. How does that work, exactly?

And there's a tradition here, that I will repeat
20. A game I know is called two truths and a lie. You tell us three things about yourself. Two are true one is a lie. We have to guess which is false. (hints: Try to make your truths the most unexpected things about yourself to trick us. The lie can be very close to the truth.) Don't tell us which one is the lie til the end of the week.

I enjoyed my week as Geek of the Week and I hope Josh enjoys his. I look forward to reading the questions everyone else can come up with and seeing how Josh decides to answer them.

Take it away, Cranky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wagner
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
What is the story of you being kicked out of the Gathering?

What would you do to Alan Moon if you saw him on the street?

How would you respond to rumors that you're not really that cranky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Hey Josh. Two questions:

- When are you going to stop by to pick up your Samurai Suit?

- Do you agree with the assessment of you in the HGTTG that states you are "Mostly Harmless"?

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only one question: "What's the deal with Animal Crossing?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Josh,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions so here's the slightly modified GeekSpeak BoardGameSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game for d10-2 players
Favourite game for d10-3 players
Favourite game for d10-4 players
Favourite game for d10-5 players
Favourite game for d10-6 players
Favourite game for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple - my other confession is that I would be hard pressed to list just one game for most of the above)

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why. Mostly the same list as before.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

And last but not least, what are the last five games that you have played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your blog, "Nothing to Blog About," has not been updated since December. Is this merely because you have had nothing to say? Somehow I find THAT hard to believe...

It so happens that you and I live in the same city, and I've met you on two occasions. However, as my time spent gaming has increased havily, I have not seen you at any gaming event save those two occasions - once at a National Games Week event at the mall, and once at a monthly game day at Bookmans. You Blogged about the latter, and I understand you didn't enjoy the day. Is this why you have not been back? I've been gaming in that group for some time now, and I've managed to avoid almost all unpleasantmess like what you described in your blog... any chance you'll come back?

Maybe I'll go scrutinize your profile, and come up with some more hard-hitting questions.

- Seth

P.S. Thanks for trying, and commenting on, All For One!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we going to need independent 3rd parties to comment on your answers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cranky. I will ask this question knowing that I will only read about half of the answer. You have already proven that you are the undisputed master of the paragraph. But I find that my eyes start to glaze over about half the way through because of your stubborn refusal to hit the enter key from time to time. I really want to read to the end because they are so well crafted and always deliver, but I just can't focus. So, do you care?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I've never met this fellow and I've never known just what to make of him--is he serious? Does he just enjoy pushing buttons? Is he really just one personality? I never quite know when reading his posts.

I've met Josh in person. The first thing he said to me when I realized he was THE Mr. Cranky was, "Don't pay any attention to that stuff I write on line."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Hi Cranky. I will ask this question knowing that I will only read about half of the answer. You have already proven that you are the undisputed master of the paragraph. But I find that my eyes start to glaze over about half the way through because of your stubborn refusal to hit the enter key from time to time. I really want to read to the end because they are so well crafted and always deliver, but I just can't focus. So, do you care?

Dane, you've made me aware of this in the past. I'm answering you first because it seems appropriate in light of what just happened.

I spent around the last two hours replying to Randy's initial post. Then, because I respect your opinions on this matter so much, I tried to edit the thing for clarity--along with a healthy dose of white space, in order to prevent eye-glaze and incessant drooling.

Then I accidentally closed the window and lost the entire reply.

But hey, look, I spaced this last line really far! Love me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:

I've met Josh in person. The first thing he said to me when I realized he was THE Mr. Cranky was, "Don't pay any attention to that stuff I write on line."

Ah, how like me. But does it extend to stuff that I said offline that got quoted online? If so, then we can't pay attention to that, either. However, how will we know, since in particular anything I say right now is suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loquutus wrote:
What is the story of you being kicked out of the Gathering?

What would you do to Alan Moon if you saw him on the street?

How would you respond to rumors that you're not really that cranky?

I was never kicked out of the Gathering. I was denied an invitation, when the esteemed Mark Geary put my name in the hat. Later, I was warned never to crash the event, via a third party who wishes not to be involved in this in any way. Still later, I was warned that if I continued my cyberstalking of Mr. Moon, I would be banned from Boardgamegeek.

I would probably say much the same to him as I did when I passed him on the escalator at Origins a year or two ago: "Are you going to call the police and have me arrested here, too?" (Referring to the warning I received about my "plans" to crash the GoF.) People who threaten other people with police action via third parties just don't cut any ice with me. People who say they'll kick me off their websites if I badmouth well-known game designers do, however, cut ice, and so pretend I never said any of this.

The rumors of my lack of crankiness are alternatingly true of false, depending upon the phase of....the Moon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, Cranky is Geek of the Week. Let me see......

*checks Bible*

Yep. Seventh seal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Your blog, "Nothing to Blog About," has not been updated since December. Is this merely because you have had nothing to say? Somehow I find THAT hard to believe...

It so happens that you and I live in the same city, and I've met you on two occasions. However, as my time spent gaming has increased havily, I have not seen you at any gaming event save those two occasions - once at a National Games Week event at the mall, and once at a monthly game day at Bookmans. You Blogged about the latter, and I understand you didn't enjoy the day. Is this why you have not been back? I've been gaming in that group for some time now, and I've managed to avoid almost all unpleasantmess like what you described in your blog... any chance you'll come back?

That blog has got to go. I'd completely forgotten about it until you stumbled onto it and left your comment. Thanks for the reminder! I'd forgotten about it again....

Quote:
Maybe I'll go scrutinize your profile, and come up with some more hard-hitting questions.

- Seth

P.S. Thanks for trying, and commenting on, All For One!

Seth, you and Sean Tidy are the two area gamers that I've most enjoyed meeting (and thanks to Sean for getting me out to game at all, I've been particularly reclusive this past year). You are an extremely enthusiastic designer, and I wish you much success in every venture. I can easily see All For One as a published game that I'd buy, which was completely untrue of the one other prototype I ever played (Bootleggers), which subsequently got published (and not bought by me.)

If I had any useful ideas about how games should really operate I could have given you constructive criticism...as it stands, I'll just say "get it published and I'll buy a copy." I'm moving at the end of May, and there's a lot of nonsense to do to keep the house in order and prepare for the move, so my gaming time is yet again severely impacted, and I may as well never have lived in AZ at all, for all the gaming I did here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Hey Josh. Two questions:

- When are you going to stop by to pick up your Samurai Suit?

- Do you agree with the assessment of you in the HGTTG that states you are "Mostly Harmless"?

-MMM

Matthew, I was at Lemonade just the other night. You were just standing there. I hadn't planned on visiting, but your gates were open. I visited Kody, and left. It was a fabulous adventure....

I can't validate that entry because I lost my babel fish, and so most of the Guide looks like glyphs crafted by some nut on a bad acid trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Are we going to need independent 3rd parties to comment on your answers?

Not this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzix wrote:
I have only one question: "What's the deal with Animal Crossing?"

The first rule of Animal Crossing: Don't discuss Animal Crossing.
The second rule of Animal Crossing: Don't cross animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy, I was so disheartened that I closed the window with my multi-hour reply to your post, that I feared I might never get back to it. I can't believe how often I've deleted my content at BGG before it ever actually existed. There are several people around here who will be heartened to hear that this happens regularly. Anyway, I've decided to answer one or two of your questions throughout the week, in your order, and that way if I close the window it won't be so hard to stem the flow of tears onto my keyboard.

Randy Cox wrote:
Now, in my serious research for starting this thread, I attempted to read everything MisterCranky has ever written here on BGG. I gave up after about 10 minutes, realizing that I'd be at that task for 5 months. But I did discover some things that need answers. So, in my official duty as pace car to the Adelson 500 version of Geek of the Week, I present my questions.

1. So who is your father? You mention him on your profile page under "favorite TV shows." Is his name Merv by any chance?

My father was Marv Adelson, first cousin to Merv. My dad was a film editor, Merv was a tycoon (and is still alive, though not presently holding tycoon status).

My father worked on lots of different television shows over the course of his career, and his favorite was The Courtship of Eddie's Father. He worked as an inhouse editor for MGM for about 22 years, and then when the studio pretty much ceased its inhouse television operation he went freelance.

If you watch a lot of old Lorimar shows in syndication, there's a good chance you'll see his name crop up. After heart attacks, failures, and open-heart surgery, his cousin the tycoon pretty much got him a job for life at Lorimar (the 'a' in Lorimar is for Adelson, if anybody cares, but again, for Merv, not the rest of us, so far as I know.)

Merv's sons Gary and Andy both became producers and worked for Lorimar early in their careers. When I called Gary after college and asked if I could get on the nepotism wagon I was told, politely, "no". (That was clearly the right decision, because if I were a filmmaker I'd have sunk all the budgets on Magic cards and Euros.) Apparently my degree in filmmaking at UCLA was just what I needed to get a scintillating career in data processing as a mainframe systems programmer, and later, systems integrator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:

*checks Bible*

Yep. Seventh seal.

I guess I can't have a pithy reply to everything, so I'll just say that in my mind I pronounce your user name as "ka-pap", with emphasis on the second syllable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
CapAp wrote:

*checks Bible*

Yep. Seventh seal.

I guess I can't have a pithy reply to everything, so I'll just say that in my mind I pronounce your user name as "ka-pap", with emphasis on the second syllable.

Thank god somebody pronounces it correctly. In their mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now really there's no need to start a smear campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
CapAp wrote:

*checks Bible*

Yep. Seventh seal.

. . . to which ole "MrWanky" replies:"No, it's 'ice cream', I swear!" surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's playing BGG werewolf he'll claim that it is vanilla too.
I know everyone loves ice cream but surely that is in poor taste though Grog?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Critical Mass wrote:
If he's playing BGG werewolf he'll claim that it is vanilla too.
I know everyone loves ice cream but surely that is in poor taste though Grog?

". . . but, I'm 'talkin' `bout 'MisterCranky'!"
"well, HE can 'do' IT!"
". . . and NOBODY can 'understand' HIM but his 'woman'!"
[s][i][b]g{"Mister...Cranky!"
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty B
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've never felt the inclination to ask a question of any of the previous geeks of any of the previous weeks. Still, the opportunity to ask Josh a question in a public forum is something that only happens once or twice in an hour, so I cannot resist.

1. So, what's the big idea joining Smallville for, like, a week or whatever it was, keeping the whole town up until all hours with your wild parties, and then scorching the earth with that weird little moat or whatever it is? Some of us still have to live there you know.

/looks at the the southern Smallville landscape and sheds an Iron Eyes Cody like tear.

2. Please clarify which game ought to be removed from BSW. For a bonus point, you may opine as to what one game should be added.

3. Kindly explain the appeal of Doko.

4. Finally, compare and contrast Alexandra Cabot, the sexy Assistant District Attorney from Law & Order: Special Victim's Unit with Alexandra Cabot, the sexy heiress always trying to figure out new ways to keep Josie away from Alan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.