United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill,

If you want people like me to buy your game, please take down or fix the obnoxious ad you have running on this site. It opens up and starts playing that annoying animation and music even when I don't roll over the ad with my mouse, and the close box doesn't work. If your goal is to annoy potential customers rather than attract them, you've succeeded. When you look at the click through rate, please know that several of those are me trying futilely to close your ad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second this. The close button really doesn't work. If it weren't for the fact that the "music off" button does work, I'd be really mad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you get so upset by something so benign, I think you're not the kind of customers they're looking for anyway.
I think this is the best ad BGG has on the site at the moment, and for a long time. The music is cute, and you know you want to vote for him. Look at those moves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
You need a new browser, man.

Or maybe they need to set up the ad so it only runs when we want it to. When it starts without me rolling my mouse over it I can't close it by clicking on the "Close" button. HIDEOUS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Cougar wrote:
Well, if you get so upset by something so benign, I think you're not the kind of customers they're looking for anyway.
I think this is the best ad BGG has on the site at the moment, and for a long time. The music is cute, and you know you want to vote for him. Look at those moves!

Talk about a lame statement. Just because someone doesn't want to have a companies animated ad shoved down their throat every time they come to this site doesn't mean they're not the type of person that would enjoy the product being advertised. MCFLY! HELLO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you want people like me to buy your game, please take down or fix the obnoxious ad you have running on this site. It opens up and starts playing that annoying animation and music even when I don't roll over the ad with my mouse, and the close box doesn't work. If your goal is to annoy potential customers rather than attract them, you've succeeded. When you look at the click through rate, please know that several of those are me trying futilely to close your ad.

Ed;

If you'll support the website, they won't be looking for so many of these ads to keep the site running:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/support.php

This site is something that Derk and Aldie do as a labor of love - and it costs a lot of money to do all of this, not to even mention how much their time and hard work is worth. (Besides, do you know how much a cat-suit like that costs?)

If you donate $25, you can disable the ads - and the site is very nice that way. You won't miss anything good - because everybody else is always talking about the ads, and you can always turn them back on if you want to see something.

American's are exposed to ads thousands of times a day. I've been in elevators now that have commercials playing in them. Bathrooms. Subways. Trams. Everywhere you go, you're bombarded with ads. If you're stuck in one place for more than a few seconds, it is a chance for you to be sold something, and they don't miss those chances. It is hard for me to think that this sort of thing is benign. I do everything I can to avoid it, and my life is much better for that.

Making a donation to support BoardGameGeek is quick. Easy. Painless. And well worth it for the vast amount of information you find here.

I'm quite happy to say I didn't even know I was missing an ad until this post - and I'm not sorry I'm still missing it.

Ciao!

Russell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think you're not the kind of customers they're looking for anyway.

Dude, it's Hasbro...

They only want one kind of customer - the kind with money. Do they care about anything else?

If they are using a filter of "who will listen to our ad countless times and giggle each time they see it" to determine the type of customer they are looking for, they are probably in trouble, anyway.

The problem is - we've been conditioned to accept this sort of jarring interruption in our lives at all times, in all situations. It is rare that anyone even complains about it. It is just what we're all supposed to accept.

So - who does Hasbro want to attract? What does the ad say about the people they'd like to attract? And better yet - what does it say about their audience that they'd make this sort of ad in the first place? And then put it on a web site that is a place that people come to often - not necessarily to see ads - sometimes to actually look at content posted by their fellow geeks.

I'm perfectly cool with not being "the kind of customer" Hasbro wants to attract. That's cool with me.

And I'm quite happy to see them making games to capture a few of our dollars. Chances are, they are blissfully unaware of even where those ads might be placed.

Quote:
I think this is the best ad BGG has on the site at the moment, and for a long time.

I know it is just me - and nobody else feels this way - but putting two words like "best" and "ad" together always surprises me. The "best" of the "continual attempts to convince us to buy their products, using any tool they can, as much as they can." The two words seem mutually exclusive to me. I supposed in the sense of "best of the generally intolerable" it makes sense - but when given the choice to opt out - whew - it sure is nice.

Just my two cents...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Werebear wrote:
If you donate $25, you can disable the ads - and the site is very nice that way.

Done. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tschupp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
It isn't just an obnoxious ad. Any time their ad comes up it stops me from being able to use the search field just below it - even if the ad hasn't expanded to its full size. That prevents me from using the site properly which isn't good for me OR the fine gents who run this site.

And it's not a "browser issue". This is in Firefox. You PC users are ALL using Firefox, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The hyperactive ad aside, is it just me, or is this a strange choice for an AH/Hasbro game? It strikes me as a bizarre setting for a political game--I can imagine having more fun with a witty game on small-town politics with lots of "local color" characters. In addition, from the component photo I just looked at on Boulder's site, it is a pretty homely product. Just seems weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the ad comes up unexpectedly, have you clicking "back" and then returning? Maybe it will go away for you as it did for me.
And even if you're stuck watching and listening to it, you've lost, what, 30 seconds of your life? Wow. I feel for ya.

And "Best" and "Ad" can both definitely be used together. I don't know if you have the same beer commercials as we do where I am (Molson, Coors, a bunch of others). I don't drink at all, but I can tell you that the BEST commercials on TV are beer commercials.
I can also tell you that the Rocketville ad is the BEST one on this site, much better than this Vanished Planet one that is up on my screen right now.

I think you have to put the wallet-rape experience that you've clearly had with Hasbro behind you, suck up that you're losing 30 seconds of your life to a dancing robot, and go play a game. Try Igloo Pop, clear your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marketers love sheeple, especially ones that view advertising as "entertainment."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scott
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm adding my voice here, too.

I use IE, and the ad was getting in the way of the top toolbar. Although I am a supporter, I had kept the banner ads open so that I could learn a little something about new and upcoming games - well - not any more. The Rocketville ad kept opening - probably something to do with the cache - and getting in the way. Since then I've turned the ads off, but at the cost of not seeing some other banners that I actually may have been interested in.

At any rate, tell me when the ad stops running and I'll turn the banners back on. Meanwhile, having read different reviews on this game, I have no intention to buy it no matter how 'napoleon dynamite'ish that robot dances! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kupferer
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
I rather liked the ad too, but then, it didn't start playing music for me. (Music would have caught my attention - AIM was playing video with sound a couple weeks ago on me, and I promptly went out and found an AIM hack that disabled their ads - pitch to me, but don't intrude, and playing music without being invited is intruding.) I feel cheated. I was also disappointed to see that it wasn't the one that popped up for me at the top of this topic, now that would have been funny.

On the other hand, I did buy Rocketville, but not because of the ad... don't really remember why. The jury is still out on whether I like it or not, but it's easy to play with the kids.

And if it weren't for the banner ads, I wouldn't know about that great little Slay game, so even after I pay my $25, I'll probably keep the ads turned on. Would be nice to have an option to keep them to only game related ads, though.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for the ad... I have disabled it for Mozilla and Firefox since it doesn't behave well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie, you have no need to apologize. You did nothing wrong, and it's not your fault some people have heart attacks because of a dancing robot.
Instead of removing it entirely, could it be made to fit in that top bar? I think it getting in the way of the Search bar is what most people dislike, even if the music or dancing doesn't to it for them.

Too bad, I still stand by it being a fun ad.

And just because people enjoy the entertainment value of ads doesn't mean they buy the products.
Not once have I bought a beer, an SUV, an posture-pedic mattress or a trip to Hawaii, but those commercials are still dang good to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something wrong with it for Firefox/Mozilla. Even though it's collapsed, there's an invisible barrier blocking out the UI. I went over this with the ad agency, and they can't do anything about it.

Apparently once these ads are sent out, it's real hard to get them changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
There's something wrong with it for Firefox/Mozilla. Even though it's collapsed, there's an invisible barrier blocking out the UI. I went over this with the ad agency, and they can't do anything about it.

Apparently once these ads are sent out, it's real hard to get them changed.

Completely not your fault, but thank you for fixing this for Firefox folks anyway.

I noted that when you do "Flashblock" using Firefox, that you can see the 'box' that the ad takes up and even when it is collapsed the boundaries overlay the toolbar.

They should just re-send you an ad for "Rocketville" with a static image of the robot and the game, maybe one frame from the flash animation. I don't know when advertisers thought we wanted to be blasted with intrusive ads with lots of sound, but I'd like to discourage this behavior if possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Cougar wrote:

There is nothing benign about being assault by a dancing, music playing robot who refuses to go away while you are trying to rush to check weather conditions when you are already running late and know the bad weather is going to cost you hours. AH has given me a serious aversion to that game based on their add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ding Dong
United States
Ding Dong
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
It's stuff like this that make me hate WOTC all the more. I won't even try their games for free anymore (if anyone I know buys one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thi Nguyen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm running Netscape and the ad does the same thing: drops down and covers the Search and the BGG top menu for about 40 seconds everytime I open the front page, and it won't close.

I don't mind singin' and dancin', but waiting for 40 seconds everytime I open the front page is a little bothersome.

-thi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess patience is something our world has lost, eh?
Fast food, fast cars; me, me, me; now, now, now.
Sad, but true.

Where is it that you check the weather?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm THRILLED to see this outpouring of CONTEMPT for that ad. I can't believe it sits over the game search thing, and I can't close it either. I heard from numerous people that the game sucks anyway. Thanks for the posting. Misery loves company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Cougar wrote:
I guess patience is something our world has lost, eh?
Fast food, fast cars; me, me, me; now, now, now.
Sad, but true.

Where is it that you check the weather?

Exactly. I've lost my patience with pop-up ads, cold-calls, junk mail, auto-dialing by computer phone centers, spam, pushy salespeople at mall kiosks, ugly billboards etc. Dancing browser-hijacking robots fall into the category of unwanted ads.

That you are okay with this kind of intrusive marketing is puzzling.

Kudos to Aldie for fixing it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we just stop all the Hasbro bashing JUST because they are a big company that doesn't do euro-style games that the majority of people here on BGG don't appreciate?

At least they paid $$$ to BGG for a banner ad. I can think of companies that we love (big and small) that HAVEN'T bothered to take out an ad with BGG. I shan't point fingers but just take a look at all the banner ads and you'll know what I mean.

On the technical side of things: I'm running Maxthon 1.5.1 and the ad isn't obtrusive at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.