1 Posts

Rise of Augustus» Forums » Variants

Subject: town crier variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Gagnon
flag msg tools
Graphic Designer
I think of a variant for the town crier, I didn't try it yet but I would like to know what you think of it.

Instead of changing the town crier at every "joker", which is useless since it doesn't affect the gameplay at all, I would like to try something that will break a bit the bingo feeling and add, I think, and interesting twist to the gameplay.

So lets say the town crier change every draw (not only at joker) in a clockwise order and instead of draw 1 token, he draw two, choosing one and put the other back in the bag. It give a nice advantage to the town crier, adding some strategic descision (choosing the one I need or avoiding another player to get the one he need to complete an objective, etc.) and it kind of break a bit the bingo feeling of the game.

So the town crier draw two tokens, strategically choose one, put the other one back in the bag then the next player became the town crier, giving him the change to chose the token and so on until the end of the game.

I think this variant can work really great with 4 players or more...

What do you think?

The only problem of this I see it's that will make the rarest token to be choose more often letting only the more common one in the bag until a joker is draw. Maybe that will unbalance the game too much since harder objectives will now became easier to complete. Not really sure of this anyway since if he play well, the town crier will avoid to choice the rare token another player need, taking for example the shield instead....

A variant to this variant would be to not putting back the second (not chosen) token in the bag, discard it instead until a joker is draw. Kind of double consequences decision for the town crier...

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.