Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Massey
United States
Salem
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh 4th showed up - Jeff Tolleson who is a UG lurker (maybe if everyone sits still and is really quiet, he'll come out and post). Jeff was eager to give this one a try. This group likes Tikal and Jeff felt that this might have more promise. Between he and I, we explained the game to Buzz and Rich. The first turns were more than a bit slow as everyone got the feel for the rules and potential strategies for scoring. After a turn or two, Rich, Jeff and Buzz were up and running so we stopped helping each other and things got interesting. Buzz and I jumped to an early lead thanks to placing some good sized palaces and scoring festivals with Jeff and Rich lagging behind. Rich was suffering particularly and thought he had a nice big festival on a 10 palace set up when that he ended up sharing with me for a cost of 4 cards each. This set both of us back in terms of scoring potential and Jeff started to make his move. I further compounded my woes when I lost a one card festival show down with Buzz - this time for 8 points which moved him in the lead and really pushed me back. Jeff continued to steamroll with a handful of cards that scored almost every palace at will. He prevailed in the end with Buzz 15+ points behind in the low 90's and Rich right after him. I was the butt end of the dog, barely cracking 75. This was only my second playing, but I like the game much more than I thought I would. Festivals are key and keeping cards to participate in them will help you stay in the running until final scoring - a lesson which I knew, but ignored, much to my dismay. We don't rate games in the Malden group except the first time or two. The group as a whole rates games a bit harsher with 6's and 7's the norm and anything above and 8 rare. Jave rated all 8's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.