1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: WIP: Dungeon Drop! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Robles
United States
flag msg tools
Been working on this for a bit and I need a bit of feedback as I've been spinning my wheels on it the past few days.

The basic premise is a match four jewel drop game where the groupings net you dice to roll against obstacles of the same type, Which are represented by cards: red for monsters, blue for obstacles, green for puzzles. 4 blue tiles would give a Thief 1d6, 8 blue tiles would give 2d6. A non thief might need 6-8 red tiles to gain 1d6 depending on
the class.

Here you can see a blue grouping. The white Party tile would need to be adjacent to the group to use it to attempt a challenge.

Here you can see the difference in how a Barbarian and a Warrior would use a grouping of red tiles.

I've been mucking about with several ways to implement character progression: adding +1 tiles to the draw bag, gaining cards to spend at will, gaining cards in the deck builder fashion. And I'm a bit frazzled by all the possible paths. Adding tiles and the deck builder will require an enormous amount of components, and the deck building I fear might add too much maintenance per round, so those are likely out.

Here is what I have so far:

The white tile represents a group of adventurers which consists of a Fighter, thief, scholar, and mage. There are a few different types of each unit to choose from.

Each turn a player may move 1 tile up to 2 spaces for each character which is active. The tile moved must match the character type, red for fighter, blue for rogues, green for the scholar, and the mage being wild.

After that each character may perform 1 action: move, "attack," or special. Movement moves the party tile and is needed as (for the most part) the tile most be adjacent to a grouping to use it to attempt "attacking" or completing a challenge. Special abilities vary from unit to unit. Fighters have bonuses built into their base attack, rogues have unique movement abilities, scholars supplement other characters' abilities.

The theme might change but for now it is helping to guide how I build the character types and a few other things.

I realize I didn't really ask any questions but really I'm looking for some validation about the idea itself.

A few more things, as it sits now it is multiplayer with interaction coming from the ability to add tiles to opponents' draw piles that have negative effects when on the board. And completed challenges gain the ability to mitigate luck when rolling, extra dice, extra movement of the party tile or RGB tiles, etc.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.