Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Melone
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
played with three players, it was great fun. Lots of feelings of urgency at the end. Quick question, the player who won tied with amount of cities powered 15, and he won cuz he had more money. My question is is not being able to power all your cities probable, or did we just play bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My question is is not being able to power all your cities probable, or did we just play bad?

There are 2 situations that come to mind that this might occur (at least right off the top of my head). Which was yours?

It is highly possible that you might outbuild yourself in Powergrid. As you want to get the cheapest real eastate and be the most effecient with you money you can, you sometimes build more than you can power at that time. You build in hopes of being able to buy bigger plants that will power everything. This has the downside of normally putting you in "1st" place. I have stayed in first for most of a game and won it, though you will find that it is usually more beneficial to be "last".

It is also possible a resource may become unavailable, and you may not be able to fire all your plants; even though you would have been able to power all your cities. This is especially crushing in the last round or two, as it can kill you chances of winning....and many time people will buy up extra resources to screw other players; a very valid tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Melone
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the first one thats what i did haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes a few plays to learn just how long to hang back, and then when to surge forward. Building in alot of the good spots puts you in first, but so does buying the good plants. It's that delicate balancing act that makes the game great.

It sounds like you all had a good go of it though. If you liked it the first time, I would be willing to say that you will like it better every time you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Melone
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the input

the game was great and we cant wait to play it again im sure next time we will be able to power em all mwuahahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the madness

I'll say it again: I'd rather lose a game of Power Grid than win just about any other game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.