Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I've been working on my house and pretty soon I can move on to finishing up the basement, aka The Game Room. One of the first things I plan to improve is the lighting. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to light up your games? Overhead lighting will be difficult to install. Any tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
On no account use fluorescents. If possible use strong directional overhead light (reflectors are wonderful), with enough fillins and ambient lighting to remove shadows and relfective effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've gone with several table lamps around the perimiter of the room. You don't get any glare or light reflecting in the gameboard etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not speaking as any expert on lighting, but I'd strongly recommend having lights shine upward onto white walls and ceiling, so that the light reflected back to the gaming area comes from all over the place, completely eliminating glare and shadows. If you use incandescent lights, also use dimmer switches to not only allow controlling the level of light for best visibility, but also save money on electricity and bulbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i strongly second the recommendation to have the light pointing upward, not into your face or reflecting off of the shiny boards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
On no account use fluorescents. If possible use strong directional overhead light (reflectors are wonderful), with enough fillins and ambient lighting to remove shadows and relfective effects.

The main objection to fluorescents is the stroboscopic effect they may produce. You cannot notice the flicker of a light running on 60 Hertz AC current, but in the long term it can produce health problems (for some people, the effect is almost immediate.) But all this can be corrected electronically with a high frequency ballast. Incandescent lights do not cool down much in 1/120 of a second, so flicker from them is negligible.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/lighting_flicker.h...

Actually, some people claim that the predominance of red in the output spectrum of most incandescent lights could present a long term health problem as well. Usually these people also want to sell you a health light, so judge for yourself.

http://www.lightforhealth.com/schools.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game room I have two heavily filtered (In ceiling frosted glass fixtures) 100Watt lights. These provide direct light for the conference table. I supplement these with two six foot floor lamps placed at opposite corners of the room that point up at the walls and ceiling. In these I use three way bulbs (75W, 100W, 120W) this way we can adjust the ambient lighting depending on which game we are playing. For Arkam Horror we turn them off, if we are playing a game with a pile of tiny pieces we turn them on high. If the board is very shiny (some are) we can back off to 100Watts. Then depending on the mood or need for additional light we may pick any setting in between. A nice added feature is for role playing we turn the over head lights off, and just use one light be hind the DM. Cool effect.

The great thing about this set up is it didn't cost a fortune. Floor lamp sell for $25 each, and the ceiling units were also cheap. (I don’t exactly remember, but I don't recall it being painful when I purchased them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc B.
United States
Palm Bay
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our "game room" are the 6 foot bookshelves all around the room that store the games. On top of some of them on different sides of the room I have these desk lamps with halogen bulbs and the "head" of the lamp is fully adjustable.
(the heads look like this one http://www.lampsplus.com/products/Functional-Desk-Lamps-@-Ha...)

I got them at either Target or the "evil W place that shall not be named".
pretty cheaply. The ceiling in the room is flat white painted and if those lamps are swivelled to point up at the ceiling it makes for very pleasant, even light in the room. No glare at all. 2 of them light up a 10' by 15' room very well. They use 100W halogen lamps. Just one if we're playing spooky games...

When it's time to dust the collection, just spin them around so they point down and you can see the dust everywhere

You can kinda see one of them in a picture I took of my game room for another geeklist here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/731722#731722
(top center of the picture, it's black with a wooden cone base.)

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.