Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Our night was going well. We had excitement in the form of Shadows over Camelot (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/849966) and Betrayal at House on the Hill (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/850003). The night was late, though, and everyone save Danny and myself decided it was high time to go to the bar.

Danny and I were left with a whole bunch of games that need four or five players, or generally at least two. After decided not to play a two player game of Werewolf (aka, flipping a coin), I remembered that our old favorite Puerto Rico had a two player varient. It was quickly printed from online, and we set up the board, ready for action.

Danny was govenor first, so I got corn. Early game was a flurry of settling and building, with Danny landing three indigos and me getting three corns. By the end of the game, I had added two indigos and a sugar, and Danny had added three tobacco. We also had a quary a piece.

Building-wise, I picked up the small market and hospice early on, and the office later, when I saw how quickly it filled. Danny got a large market, a small warehouse, and a wharf, mainly since I was clogging up the two ships with corn and sugar.

By the end of the game, things were looking dry for both colonists and victory points. Another captain or mayor phase would have ended things, but Danny chose to build to get a couple more points, and I filled my 12th city space with a tobacco storage. (Yes, I know I didn't have any tobacco plantations.)

Final score:

Sean:
33 shipping +
22 building +
8 Customs House +
6 City Hall =

Danny
23 shipping +
20 bulding +
8 Fortress =

The two player game showed how someone really needs that Office if anyone wants to trade. The wharf also became invaluable. Colonists seem to disappear more quickly as well, making the hospice or univeristy a bit of a liability. Another point of interst was how we never let more than one dollar stay on any role; we took everything with some regularity.

Puerto Rico remains my favorite game. I'm going to play it again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.