Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the easiest/lightest/least complex card driven game out there? I own (and love) Paths of Glory, but it's too complex for some people. I'm looking for one that I'll have an easier time getting people to play. Any era or theme is great, just as long as it uses the same CDG mechanics as games like PoG, Wilderness War, We the People, etc.

My impression is that Twilight Struggle is quite a bit lighter than most CDGs and people seem to like it, but what would be number two in that case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't think they come much easier than Memoir 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no easier card-based wargame than: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/16398

Unless, of course, you decide to play 52 Pick-up at five paces. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Granted, the definition is somewhat arbitrary, but most consider Memoir 44 to not be in the CDW genre.

We the People is simpler than Twilight Struggle in terms of rules, but I think Twilight Struggle is easier to play for some. The reason for the latter is that you have to manage forces in WtP, whereas TS is more of a straightforward area influence game with a couple of other subsystems to tweak with the scoring.

If you are trying to warm someone up to PoG, WtP is a much better starting point than TS.

- d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't looking at the tactical/battle level (Battle Cry, Memoir 44 and C&C:Ancients) then probably the three easiest are:

Twilight Struggle - covers the Cold War (US vs Soviets from 1945 to 1989)
Age of Napoleon - covers the Napoleonic Wars from 1805 to 1815
We The People - covers the American War of Independence from 1776 to 1781.

Twilight Struggle and Age of Napoleon are in print and relatively easy to get. We The People is out of print but can be found on eBay occassionaly for around $75, depending on its condition.

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ken's called it right.

I'd just add that the GMT P500 game Price of Freedom, looks like joining that list, indeed it may well be easier and since it's going to be a 2 player in-print game, it's got to be worth a look.

I have lots of medium-complicated CDGs, so this one appeals - so I've pre-ordered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt? I see no Matt...

Anyway, I have only played one example of the genre, Twilight Struggle. Because it is more of an area influence game and you don't have to move armies about or worry about supply lines I can easily guess that it is easier than most other CDGs.

I also have Unhappy King Charles on preorder, but I expect that to be a step up in complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I meant Ken. I was replying to a Matt on my lsit at the same time and got the two mixed up! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the whole, "play your opponents event for OPS and the event occurs" makes the thinking in TS a bit more difficult than in We the People. But again, you can't get it. It's the best though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 may not be considered a card driven wargame by grognards, but it is easy to learn and has a good chance of appealing to non-gamers. If your main goal is to get others to play, Memoir '44 is a pretty good bet. The only downside is that it might be as deep as you might like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
As great as Memoir '44 is (I love Battle Cry myself but what would you expect from a Civil War buff ) it's not a card driven game in the sense most folks think of it.

Easiest imho is Wilderness War. I think the rule book is something like 10 pages and there isn't a lot of special rule exceptions to keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We the People is simpler than Twilight Struggle in terms of rules, but I think Twilight Struggle is easier to play for some

Short answer, No.

Although I think people think WtP is relatively simple, but it has a lot of rules that are different on both sides or only used by one side: PC Placement, Isolation, reinforcements, sea movement (B Only), retreats before battle (A Only), interception (A only), victory conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I guess I could have been more clear, but I'm specifically looking for the CDG's that spawned from the We the People line. We the people, for the people, hannibal, PoG, BtB, Rising sun, Napoleonic wars, wilderness war, sword of rome, successors, etc. I have Memoir, and it's great too, but that's not the type of CDG I mean. I want the depth that comes with the other games. I'm not necessarily looking for a 'simple' game, just the 'simplest' of the bunch. I'd rather not pay the OOP cost either, so that knocks off a few of 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, well if no OOP, you are looking at 3:

Twilight Struggle, Wilderness War, Price of Freedom

Of these, PoF is not out but word has it that it's really easy. Check out the GMT site as it may have the rules up already (though I don't think so).

I've played WW - it's great on ACTS. Super game, but though the rules are easyish for a CDG (a Euro-only player would still find them very tough) much of the Strategy is counter to typical wargames and thus not easy to begin with. And the sides are very asymmetrical in terms of what they need to do.

Twilight Struggle is one I've not played but know all about. It's about 70% wargame and 30% Euro, I think. That can either be an extremely positive or negative thing depending on your viewpoint. Note though, that Joe Steadman has played this several times with his wife (not a wargamer) and been beaten every time! Go to Wargamenews.com to read more. He also reviewed it on the Dice Tower - if you've not listened, the Dice Tower is a very useful tool as regards purchases.

So, there's 3 good 'uns there, and I suggest that it may come down to 2 factors - price and theme.

Which theme suits best? And if there's a tie, go for PoF if you can wait, because that's really very cheap if you P500 it. You'd wait maybe 6-9 months to get it, mind you!

If you can't wait, suss out the other 2 - they're about the same price. TS has the current buzz, but WW has had the rules refinement to perfect it and now boasts a deluxe map, too (you have to pay extra). Oh, and of course, if you want armies etc, don't bother with TS - it's more political. If it's conflict you want, either will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for the advice Admiral. All three sound like great choices for different reasons. It seems like I'm always reading about how people are playing TS with their wives, and coincidentally, that would be my case as well. My wife likes PoG more than any other wargame she's played I think because of the depth, theme, and history that the cards add. She gets the game ok even with the piles 'o exceptions, but I think she might enjoy one that's a little less complex even more. Wilderness war has also been on my radar for some time now, as are Sword of Rome, and the reprints of For the People and WWII:BtB because they all look very good.

Now, I just need to convince her that we need to make another game purchase. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do TS and WW take to play a full campaign game of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Deagan
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If you slide all the way into the card side devil
then Lightning:Midway and Lightning-Day are easy, fun, exciting "war" games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.