Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete L.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game now a number of times and observed in each case just how easy it was to reveal Dracula's trail. The combination of the hunter ally that auto-reveals the trail card in the 6th position, plus events (Newspaper Reports, etc.) and the ability to use resolve points to play Newspaper Reports generally makes it too difficult for Dracula to keep ahead of the hunters. Its really the auto-reveal feature of these different examples that I have an issue with and so I've come up with a house rule that I think helps balance this somewhat:

There can be up to 6 cards in Dracula's trail. Each time Newspaper Reports is played (as an event card or using resolve points) calculate the number of unrevealed cards in Dracula's trail (not including his current position) and add this value to a single die roll. If the total is 6 or higher then flip that card over. Therefore it becomes progressively more likely that as you get closer to Dracula's current position that you'll fail to reveal those parts of his trail.

This rule might seem to be contrary to logic (i.e. a fresh trail is easier to locate than an old one), but trying this house rule in reverse (die roll of 6 or less) gets kind of wierd with the card play. I haven't tried this out yet, but at least it doesn't guarentee that the hunters close in so fast after the Dracula player has made a lot of effort to play smart and hidden.

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Fury of Dracula won't arrive until tomorrow, so I haven't actually played this yet.

That being said, have you already tried the variant suggested in the manual where you remove a few of the problem cards that make Dracula easier to spot?

Sounds to me if you shave a few Newspaper Reports from the deck, that would make a ton of difference. From what I've read thus far the Event deck is chock full of goodies for the Hunters anyway and you'd ahave to remove an awful lot for them to stop drawing from it.

Perhaps it would have been better for them to have shipped the game with a "standard" deck with a more Dracula-centic card mix and then a small stack of "extra" cards to add once Dracula had found his sea legs. This would have avoided the stigma some player have of playing anything but the "standard" build.

For instance, because the variant cards for Confrontation are "variant" or "extra", no one in my group plays it with those cards nor really wants to. However, if they had been part of the "standard" game they would have had no problems with it.

Anyway, we'll do a first run with the standard deck, but if it's apparent Drac is going to have a hard time the first thing I'm going to do is trim a few of the Dracula trail-finders from the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete L.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That being said, have you already tried the variant suggested in the manual where you remove a few of the problem cards that make Dracula easier to spot?

Yes, I saw that variant though I'm not in favour of removing any cards actually. I feel the game is quite balanced on the whole and the hunters have to have the incentive to keep drawing event cards (and thus risk giving Dracula his that come up) which will be far less likely if they see little benefit in it. My house rule still makes those valuable cards, but it removes the auto-success factor from them with the increasing probability of failure as you continue to reveal cards in his trail.

Also, certain encounters of Dracula's such as the New Vampire or Desecrated Soil will eliminate several cards in Dracula's trail if they mature so the hunters will need cards like Newspaper Reports to try and get back on track again, so in that sense too I feel keeping them in the deck is balanced.

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It can be difficult (and sometimes frustrating) to play Dracula, but that is the challenge. Besides, it would be FAR more boring if the Hunters had to roam randomly hoping to bump into Dracula's trail to get a clue.
While sometimes you'll be easily spotted, you've more than a way to merge with the shadows again (in particular, learning how to use the Powers efficiently is crucial).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lothrim wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I saw that variant though I'm not in favour of removing any cards actually. I feel the game is quite balanced on the whole and the hunters have to have the incentive to keep drawing event cards (and thus risk giving Dracula his that come up) which will be far less likely if they see little benefit in it. My house rule still makes those valuable cards, but it removes the auto-success factor from them with the increasing probability of failure as you continue to reveal cards in his trail.

Also, certain encounters of Dracula's such as the New Vampire or Desecrated Soil will eliminate several cards in Dracula's trail if they mature so the hunters will need cards like Newspaper Reports to try and get back on track again, so in that sense too I feel keeping them in the deck is balanced.

Pete

That's cool, Pete. I'm actually gobbling up all of these session reports and articles because I have a feeling this will probably become our "Group Game Du Jour", hopefully replacing Shadows Over Camelot. SoC is a game I have tired of but they haven't, so I do have ulterior motives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can really say is, go to sea. If they're right on your trail, hit the beach, let them draw a few Newspaper Reports (who cares if they know what sea zone you're in?) and when it's safe, pop back on to land. Lay some encounters, and when they get close, disappear to sea again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.