André Nordstrand
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
badge
reviews.takras.net for board game reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this on Kickstarter and hopped on the wagon since it was a hugely popular project and it looked like a fun filler game, which is something I would like to have for those few minutes of waiting for other players during a game night. So, what did I get?

The components:
First of all it comes in a box shaped as a treasure chest. Bonus points for that. Secondly, the dice are all engraved with custom shapes and colors. And lastly, the cards and tokens in the game are also of good quality, and everything fits nicely back into the box.

Setup:
This is a very easy step. Each player has a handout with all the tokens and icons explained, and they get to choose a hero from the avaliable hero cards, or just given one randomly. Lay out the cards that make the graveyard and dragon lair and set the D10 dice to 1. The hero player takes the white dice while the player to the left takes the black. And you’re ready.

Gameplay:
You are delving into a dungeon. And of course, the deeper you get, the more dangerous it gets. The first level has 1 enemy dice, the second 2, and so on. The hero player rolls their dice only once during their entire adventure. The player to the left takes care of the monster dice.

For each level, the dice has to be resolved. But to resolve a fight, open a chest or cast a potion, you need to sacrifice dice. When a hero fights, he is placed on the graveyard for some reason, and is out of the game for this round. When you choose to delve further, you have less dice of your own while the dungeon/monster dice keeps growing. Also, if the dragon appears, you will have to face that one as well as the other dice.

You can quit any time you want after a confrontation is over. Then you get experience points equal to the level you’re at. Next round, you have to start over. But items from treasures and dragon loot might give you an advantage later on. But you only have 3 dungeon delves for the game before it’s over. The one with the most experience points is the winner.

Dungeon Crawler?
The typical dungeon crawl is often represented by a or many heroes that physically goes into a dungeon and face the creatures there. There will of course be fights and choices to be made in order to win the battles. In this game, you don’t get many choices. Some hero type can defeat many of the same monster types, so they are almost always a given. The only choice you will be faced with is: will you delve further?

You do have a hero character on your hero card. That hero has two special abilities, and may be used appropriately. When you get 5 experience or more, the character levels up, and you flip it over. Now you have better abilities.

But this game doesn’t feel like a dungeon crawl. It has the looks of one, but that’s it. But that’s also what I expected when I backed it on Kickstarter. A light push your luck-game that looks cool and plays fast. And that’s exactly what this game is. You probably won’t play more than 1 session at a time.

Conclusion:
I got what I thought it would be. It’s a game to bring to the table when you have 15 minutes to kill. So why not kill monsters and have some fun while you wait? The box is small and easy to take with you, and it has an appealing look for those who like the fantasy genre.

Another thing to point out is the downtime between turns. 2 players are engaged at a time, one being the hero party and another the dungeon. Other players aren’t really engaged in what happens with this hero, other than paying attention to what the result was and how many experience points were won.

So, for what it is, it’s a good game. Nothing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Disappointed about the lack of real choice or meaningful decisions. I thought the scrolls would add that. So....If you roll a scroll is it a no-brainer? You either choose a Champion or whichever other face you are missing (if you already have a few Champs and fear a dragon)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
Disappointed about the lack of real choice or meaningful decisions. I thought the scrolls would add that. So....If you roll a scroll is it a no-brainer? You either choose a Champion or whichever other face you are missing (if you already have a few Champs and fear a dragon)?

The Scroll allows you to re-roll any number of active Party or Dungeon dice (i.e. not in the Graveyard or Dragon's Lair), but the die used to effect this re-roll is first placed in the Graveyard before rolling the remaining eligible dice.

The Scroll is useful in many cases such as when your Dungeon dice roll yields too many different faces and you can use the Scroll for a re-roll and hope to get more homogenous results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not always a no-brainer to use scrolls, potions, or chects. Some characters' ultimate abilities benefit from specific companions (eg fighters and not champions). Also you need a mix of companions to defeat an imminent dragon. Also, it's not efficient to use a single potion or chest really, which is another gamble to consider. Also, you'll have a hoard of treasure tokens to use alongside your dice - do you spend these right now to help get further in this delve, or do you keep a few back for end-of-three-delve scoring? Decisions, decisions.

Yes, it's a dice game, so it's luck-o-rama from top to bottom, and it never said it wanted to be anythign else, but there are loads of fun push-your-luck elements. Oh, and yes, it's a game for 1-2 not 4!

happy delving...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:

I think you're thinking of the Potions ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he is playing it wrong or he is already indicating that he will only use scrolls to quaff potions.

I suspect I am the worst Dungeon Roll player. I find the game a lot of fun and very interesting. I am still not sure when it is the best time to open treasure chests. It just seems a waste to spend a die just to open one treasure chest early in the delve/game but sometimes it seems to help. It is not always obvious to me when it is the best time to use some of the ultimate abilities. Depending on the combination of treasures that I have, I find sometimes hard to figure out if I am likely to squeeze another point by going just one more level into the dungeon or if I will net negatively if I do so. I also enjoy the art and the production quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.