Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of getting one of these for the family. The kids (age 6) enjoy Forbidden Island, Talisman, King of Tokyo, and Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what you want. Andor needs careful planning and, for me, offers more replay value. In general, the decisions matter more in Andor. The story is cliched, but nicely done.

Mice and Mystics is all about combat and dice rolling. Dont get me wrong, combat is also done with dice in Andor, but in Andor, you fight only those monsters you absolutely need to kill, where M&M is all about combat. The story in M&M is richer, more innovative and fairy-tale like. It has more scenarios (11 compared to Andor's 5), but they offer less variety. In general, the game is easier than Andor, and is definitely a lot more luck-based.

Rules-wise, Andor is very simple and clear and can be played immediately, as the first scenario is a tutorial. In M&M, the rules are a disaster. The rulebook is terribly structured, and a myriad things are totally unclear.

Another thing: in Andor, everybody plays just one character, and the game scales accordingly. In M&M, the number of mice depends on the scenario (usually 4), so if you have less players, someone will gave to play more than one mouse.

I like both, but prefer Andor because it is more about strategy and less about mindless killing and dice rolling. I can see why people would like M&M better, though, and am unsure what is better suited for kids.

If this categorization helps: Andor is more Euro, M&M more Ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the double post, but I spent some more time thinking about this and think that Mice and Mystics is the better game for children. There is more action going on with all the combat and dice rolling, so they won't be distracted as easily. Also, the characters you play are directly featured in the game's story, so it will be easier to identify with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but I spent some more time thinking about this and think that Mice and Mystics is the better game for children. There is more action going on with all the combat and dice rolling, so they won't be distracted as easily. Also, the characters you play are directly featured in the game's story, so it will be easier to identify with them.

That make sense. My kids have pretty good patience, but keeping things moving by rolling some dice is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I agree that M&M is better for the kids, but for adults I much prefer LoA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your kids will love Mice and Mystics. I play with my 5 year old daughter and she has no problems running two mice. Very fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Rob...I like them both. I have only taught my kids M&M so far, but LoA is on the list to be taught soon.

You could try both of them out at FallCon next weekend

If you can't find me in the Open Gaming area,

Jordan Pratt
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is a huge fan of M&M and is always up for a game.

and Legends is one of our hosted games this year. (It is also in the Open Games Library and there are a couple of us who have played it there)

I am also given to understand that
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
is a fan as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Darren. I'll see you at FallCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both with my 8-year old son. We've enjoyed both, but Legends of Andor is the clear favorite.

I've discovered some things about my son's preferences: He likes games that tell a story. He likes cooperative games. He likes simple rules and a (relative) short playing time. Legends of Andor meets those criteria best, I think.

In principle, I should love Mice and Mystics: It has a very strong story-telling element, the components are great, there are a lot of different scenarios, potentially allowing for a lot of variety. But mechanically, it's really repetitive, and as has been mentioned, it's all about combat. It might be fun to take your sword to a dastardly rat, but not necessarily the 50th time you have to do it in a scenario. Also, the combat mechanics are designed in such a way that individual fights can really drag on. You will be rolling sooo many dice over the course of a scenario...

My son and I played through the available Legends of Andor scenarios in days. We sort-of enjoyed our experience with Mice and Mystics as well, but still lost interest after about scenario 5 or 6 or so.

So, Legends of Andor is fast and fun. A bit puzzle-like for repeat play, but the first couple of plays of each scenario is great fun. If Legends of Andor had two dozen scenarios played on a dozen different boards, it would be the ultimate coop adventure experience. As it is, it's still great.

Mice and Mystics is a game I would want to love. The story-telling element is great, or rather, it has the potential to be. But, in reality, each scenario turns out to be an endless grind of wave after wave of rats and cockroaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
Depends what you want. Andor needs careful planning and, for me, offers more replay value. In general, the decisions matter more in Andor. The story is cliched, but nicely done.

Mice and Mystics is all about combat and dice rolling. Dont get me wrong, combat is also done with dice in Andor, but in Andor, you fight only those monsters you absolutely need to kill, where M&M is all about combat. The story in M&M is richer, more innovative and fairy-tale like. It has more scenarios (11 compared to Andor's 5), but they offer less variety. In general, the game is easier than Andor, and is definitely a lot more luck-based.

Rules-wise, Andor is very simple and clear and can be played immediately, as the first scenario is a tutorial. In M&M, the rules are a disaster. The rulebook is terribly structured, and a myriad things are totally unclear.

Another thing: in Andor, everybody plays just one character, and the game scales accordingly. In M&M, the number of mice depends on the scenario (usually 4), so if you have less players, someone will gave to play more than one mouse.

I like both, but prefer Andor because it is more about strategy and less about mindless killing and dice rolling. I can see why people would like M&M better, though, and am unsure what is better suited for kids.

If this categorization helps: Andor is more Euro, M&M more Ameritrash.

how is the replay value for andor REALLY? I've been considering getting it but i've been it a bit dissuaded from it due to it being a scenarios based game. the only good scenarios based game i've truly enjoyed was mage knight. i don't like when scenarios are basically like "story" ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally once I completed a legend in Legends of Andor I've not wanted to go back to it that much. Although it's fun, I probably wouldn't bring it back to the table very often. Brilliant way of building up the rules in this game though!

With Mice and Mystics you've got a very nice story that runs through it. Plenty of scenarios that you can run as a campaign or dip into if you want to. Yes, you face wave after wave of bad guys but the story and your imagination is what drives it. The characters are likable and there's a great theme to it. Variation is good, there's a large search deck that let's you find items throughout one of the many variable maps. There's massive scope for developing your own scenarios etc. There's also the Mice and Mystics: Heart of Glorm expansion available soon and an additional Mice and Mystics: Lost Chapter – Cat's Cradle that you can get from the Plaid Hat Games web site. Not to mention future expansions! There's a lot to the game both theme and content-wise!

For your kids sake I would go with Mice and Mystics if I was you. Check out the Plaid Hat podcast with guest presenter Eric Summerer talking about his experience playing the game with his five year old son. http://www.plaidhatgames.com/podcast/90

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hands down M&M with kids. I've played it with a 5 and 7 year old and they both had an absolute blast. Seriously, they were constantly declaring things like "I need more cheese! I can't heal mommy without cheese!" and so on. I own both games and they are both very cool, but if kids are a factor its all about Mice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.