Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: battleaxe?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David De Kruif
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I wonder what the design intention was on this card.

When you compair it to a longsword there are 4 things differend about it.

axe - longsword
Elite - basic
axe does 1d6 with 1d8 if you discard it
Sword does 1d8 with 1d6 if you discard it
axe = aquire str melee 8
sword = aquire str melee 6

Why would i ever want to get a battleaxe when a longsword is Always better. 1d8 as a base without discard is Always the clear choice. The battleaxe has to be found, where the longsword can be chosen from the start since its a basic weapon. Perhaps the battleaxe should have 1d6 with 1d8+1 on discard to make it viable to even consider keeping.

Anyone any idea or viable awnser for me as to why i should want the battleaxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HELP!

You can't choose your weapons. there are some worse than others. You might never find a long sword. There may be a future thing where some trait is useful for axes. You might want an axe in a themed dwarf. It has a nicer picture.

Etcetera etcetera
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David De Kruif
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Well you can choose your weapons....after selecting your character you start selecting cards for your deck. A longsword is a basic weapon so viable to select for your characters deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathdestruktor wrote:
Well you can choose your weapons....after selecting your character you start selecting cards for your deck. A longsword is a basic weapon so viable to select for your characters deck.

Yes. If you don't go recommended, I agree. It is just flavour. It's an adventure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the thing is...you can choose a longsword at the beginning. You cannot choose the Battleaxe.

His point is an Elite weapon is weaker than a Basic weapon.

I see what they tried to do with the battleaxe (make it better if you discard it), but discarding is a premium and should give you a bonus. I would think maybe a d10 for discarding would sweeten the deal, but I still wouldn't keep it in my deck if I got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if the axe is elite and the sword is basic, then you can only choose the sword anyway when starting out since you can only choose basic weapons. So at that point it's not a matter of why would you choose the axe over the sword.

Now if you happen to find the axe at a location and acquire it, then you won't have any qualms about discarding it for the extra die to roll during an encounter, whereas you might not want to if it were the longsword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you want an extra weapon and don't have two longswords the battleaxe is a fair substitute... especially if that sword is at the bottom of your deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the random boons you find won't be as good as what you start with. But if you didn't have another weapon in hand already, this is a pretty good card to pick up. Just the nature of a random game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of cards are handy to grab when they come up, even if you know they'll have no place in your deck when you adjust it at the end of the game.

Valeros was using all sorts of weapons last time I used him ("why won't my weapons come up, wait there's a mace, aha!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
This has GOT to be a misprint. Almost positive this is at least a d8 like the longsword and mace with the added bonus of rolling a d8 when discarded rather than the longsword's d6, which is why it's elite. So far this is the only "house rule" I use for the game, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that they want at least a few low-power cards to remain in the mix even at higher levels of difficulty so that you're not guaranteed to get something awesome every time. Making a mediocre axe Elite means there's a chance that you won't want to keep every weapon when playing later adventure packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
Canada
Whitby
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I searched before asking.

I'm rebuilding my deck (Valeros) for the first time after completing the first scenario. Laying all the weapons in the end game deck in front of me, this higher "check to acquire" for the battleaxe along with its "elite" instead of basic trait had me (and I guess, still has me despite all the conversation above) perplexed and thought I must be missing something.

That said, as I only have 3 longswords available to me, it will probably (for now) find a place in my deck to fill one of the remaining 2 slots, along with the Returning Throwing Axe +1 that I managed to nab.

But their ratings (battleaxe and longsword) do seem to be backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schtolteheim Reinbach III
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jahydin wrote:
This has GOT to be a misprint. Almost positive this is at least a d8 like the longsword and mace with the added bonus of rolling a d8 when discarded rather than the longsword's d6, which is why it's elite. So far this is the only "house rule" I use for the game, haha.

Agreed, doing the same rule myself. Surprised this hasn't been brought up more actually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lewis diwinlsio
msg tools
Once you start The Hook Mountain Massacre, you start actually removing cards from the game with the Basic trait instead of simply banishing them back to the box. This is probably why the BATTLEAXE stats are slightly lower than the LONGSWORD stats; at some point all the LONGSWORD cards will be removed from the game while the BATTLEAXE cards will remain in play until you start Sins of the Saviours.

Hope this cleared things up for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
d00gie h0wser md wrote:
Once you start The Hook Mountain Massacre, you start actually removing cards from the game with the Basic trait instead of simply banishing them back to the box. This is probably why the BATTLEAXE stats are slightly lower than the LONGSWORD stats; at some point all the LONGSWORD cards will be removed from the game while the BATTLEAXE cards will remain in play until you start Sins of the Saviours.

This is basically correct. See also this discussion on the barrier Pit Trap, which probably stays in the game longer than it deserves to, but is so iconic that we chose not to make it Basic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.