Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xesqui BCN
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the germans
starting turn 4 and I dont think that I can win
the allies just must attack (just 3:1 CRT enought IMO plus air or naval support) and hope that german retreat (or fail determined defense)
the allies occupy the hexs near Caen, break the beach hexs of Omaha beach (2616 and 2519), and occupy Épron in Caen.
With these counters in the allies side I dont have hope of win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, they can win. Especially, if they get help from the weather. Most games I find it has been tougher for the Allies to win. The Germans can usually bog the British down around Caen and then use the terrain to hold up and bleed the Americans with occasional counterattacks by the elite Panzer formations. However, if the skies are clear for an extended period then the Germans can get steamrolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things to consider:

1. It is possible. See Germans Can Win AAR

2. The designer has posted updated Allied auto-victory conditions in the header at http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd33741/2476. These certainly help stave off auto-victory.

3. It is hard for the Germans to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xesqui BCN
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actually turn 3 and 4 clear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xesqui BCN
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the problem is in the first turns with a clear weather is difficult to attack (jabos) and mechanized movement (-2 points)
the reinforcements arrive late and especially in Commonwealth sector a lot of troops and a few units to defender well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xesqui BCN
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weather table dice
turn 3=6 clear
turn 4=5 clear
turn 5=6 clear
turn 6=5 clear
Allies have all naval and air support and my mechanized units move -2 hex...
the last fight in turn 5 was for Carentan and I lost the town...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xesqui wrote:
weather table dice
turn 3=6 clear
turn 4=5 clear
turn 5=6 clear
turn 6=5 clear

Yeah, that's not going to be pretty for the Germans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why Mark included the Historical Weather rule and some people have opted to try to come up with a replicate of actual weather.

Other than that, you just factor in that N'44 is a (relatively) short game and, especially given auto-victory, an obscene early weather result for the Axis or Allies will simply mean you can set-up and try again. And, "historically", perhaps the result you see WOULD have happened had the weather been pro-Axis or pro-Allied for an extended period early after the landings....so while it makes for a potentially unfun game (unless you are someone like me who loves the underdog battle), it is not outside the realism of the game.

That being said, Mark is also a strong believer that "dice will average out"...so while it may look grim, grim, grim for the Germans now, the law of averages says that he is using up all of his clear weather now, and should you somehow manage to hold on for another turn or two, the weather may very well turn in to storm, storm, storm for several turns and suddently the Allies are stopped cold.

Weather was a HUGE factor in the Normandy campaign, there is no getting around that in modelling a game covering the invasion and the subsequent break-out from the beaches.

-K
Developer N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mb

I'm suffering the opposite. One bit of clear sky in 6 turns with planes appearing in 2 turns and jabo rule only in one turn. There has also been a storm. The Germans have put in some vicious counterattacks. With improved positions appearing it isn't going to be easy for the Allies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.