Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I have always been curious to know the size of the print run for Napoleon's Triumph. How many units were made?

If this question is gauche, or if the info is sensitive, ignore me and take my apologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't gauche or insensitive to ask. But the answer just isn't information I choose to release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately, I think we can figure it out ourselves. Everyone post how many copies they have, and then we'll just add it up.

I've got two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
That strikes me as both a difficult and inaccurate way to ballpark it. Gonna just assume it's between 1,000 and 3,000 copies and move along.

But I will definitely say that had I known how much use my copy was going to get, and had I known that Simmons Games would go offline, I would have bought two or three copies. Knowing that my copy may have to last me a lifetime is unnerving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Fortunately, I think we can figure it out ourselves. Everyone post how many copies they have, and then we'll just add it up.

I've got two.

Brilliant. I have one.

I'll sell it to first face-to-face comer for $100 cash at BGG.con this year. No shipping. I'm much too lazy to go to a post office or bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
I'll sell it to first face-to-face comer for $100 cash at BGG.con this year.

Goddammit, I'm going to buy it, then we'll play two team games, then I'll sell it back to you for $150.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
I'll sell it to first face-to-face comer for $100 cash at BGG.con this year.

Goddammit, I'm going to buy it, then we'll play two team games, then I'll sell it back to you for $150.

Get out of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
And so they dance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathMosque wrote:
I have always been curious to know the size of the print run for Napoleon's Triumph. How many units were made?

I admit I'd really like to know this. But I'm ok with just guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dommett
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
It isn't gauche or insensitive to ask. But the answer just isn't information I choose to release.

Would you mind if I asked why? It seems like a strange bit of information to withhold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopkins wrote:
bowen wrote:

Would you mind if I asked why? It seems like a strange bit of information to withhold!

I just don't choose to release business information. I believe firmly in being open with information that helps people decide whether to buy my games or not, but nobody needs to know the business side of things. It is (literally) my business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dommett
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
I just don't choose to release business information. I believe firmly in being open with information that helps people decide whether to buy my games or not, but nobody needs to know the business side of things. It is (literally) my business.

Fair enough! Thanks for the reply.

I'd love to thank you for a superb game too, but that will have to wait - it is the first war game that has ever appealed to me (for game mechanics reasons) so I bought it quickly, read the rules a couple of times but I have still not managed to play it! It *will* happen soon.

Going off on a tangent, I often wonder how many games suffer a similar fate and never get played? I have a strong feeling that "many" will be the answer... There is quite a lot of pleasure to be taken from studying games even before getting to play them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is there still inventory remaining for napoleon's triumph, and it just remains not for sale, or is it actually sold out? i've been holding off on trying to buy/trade for it here with the assumption that i'd eventually be able to order directly again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps Bowen would prefer to address this himself, but his last update to the Simmons Games website suggests that inventory remains, but his health prevents him from filling orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Pfennighaus
United States
Croton-On-Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Cover your heart!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope we can see another print run of this. It's a travesty that a game this highly ranked is so impossible to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
mxpf wrote:
I really hope we can see another print run of this. It's a tragedy that a game this highly ranked is so impossible to play.

ftfy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
mxpf wrote:
I really hope we can see another print run of this. It's a tragedy that a game this highly ranked is so impossible to play.

ftfy

trag·e·dy [traj-i-dee] Show IPA
noun, plural trag·e·dies.
1. a dramatic composition, often in verse, dealing with a serious or somber theme, typically that of a great person destined through a flaw of character or conflict with some overpowering force, as fate or society, to downfall or destruction.
2. the branch of the drama that is concerned with this form of composition.
3. the art and theory of writing and producing tragedies.
4. any literary composition, as a novel, dealing with a somber theme carried to a tragic conclusion.
5. the tragic element of drama, of literature generally.

A tragedy refers to a play or literature, not real life, in spite of how poorly TV misuses the word

I believe travesty was perfectly acceptable.

You fixed something that did not need to be repaired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hansen
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb

I'm afraid you're mistaken.

trav·es·ty
noun
1. a literary or artistic burlesque of a serious work or subject, characterized by grotesque or ludicrous incongruity of style, treatment, or subject matter.
2. a literary or artistic composition so inferior in quality as to be merely a grotesque imitation of its model.
3. any grotesque or debased likeness or imitation: a travesty of justice.

verb (used with object)
4. to make a travesty on; turn (a serious work or subject) to ridicule by burlesquing.
5. to imitate grotesquely or absurdly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travesty still works, albeit with some logical contortion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I love BGG!
Touche

DeathMosque wrote:

I'm afraid you're mistaken.

trav·es·ty
noun
1. a literary or artistic burlesque of a serious work or subject, characterized by grotesque or ludicrous incongruity of style, treatment, or subject matter.
2. a literary or artistic composition so inferior in quality as to be merely a grotesque imitation of its model.
3. any grotesque or debased likeness or imitation: a travesty of justice.

verb (used with object)
4. to make a travesty on; turn (a serious work or subject) to ridicule by burlesquing.
5. to imitate grotesquely or absurdly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Pfennighaus
United States
Croton-On-Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Cover your heart!
mbmbmbmbmb
These comments are making a travesty of my comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I may have been the last person alive to pick this game up from an online store at the normal retail price. I'm glad I did - when it finally hit the table it was revealed for the masterwork it was. Here's to hoping it becomes available once more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
The number of owners registered for this game on BGG is truly amazing. The print run was pretty darn large. Normally you can multiply the owners on BGG by a factor between 3x and 6x to get a rough print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiller1093 wrote:
The number of owners registered for this game on BGG is truly amazing. The print run was pretty darn large. Normally you can multiply the owners on BGG by a factor between 3x and 6x to get a rough print run.

For an established title (released in the last five years) I use 3 times, for one on the way up 6 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.