3 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shapeways Request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Hey, I'm curious if someone could help me put together something on shapeways, I'd really like a plastic base, that can contain 4 small ship bases - that has the maneuver guide tabs in the center front and back, does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. Before you commit to measurements, check how the ships might overlap their small bases. You can still use a different number of pegs to keep them seperate when they touch, however.

Note that normally, a formation of four ships would not maintain their shape when flying turns. The inner radius is smaller than the outer radius, so the inner ships have to pick a shorter turn. And if they turn only 45°, the diagonal position of the square bases means that you will normally have a collision.

So, your intended "squad base" will change the game a bit (which may be your intention).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Yeah - I've been thinking about it - It does speed up the X-wings also, because of the large size base - I've been speculating that by having a shape with two deep trenches - that lead to a single standard base size with the maneuver guidelines - you could keep the squad around the center point which would then still move with the "expectation" of the speed of an x-wing dial.

The idea is to be able to also "Split" formation as an action, but have the overall large Squad base still function like a base for collisions etc.. - individual ships would still fire and take damage - but you reduce the amount of dial choices for very large games, greatly speeding up the that kind of game, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.