Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All plant conjurations have Hydro Immunity. Does that mean your hydro spells are innefective against your burning plants?

According to the rules you can not cast Hydro spell on Hydro Immune target, so you can't use niether Geyser nor Surging Wave to remove Burn Conditions from Mana Flowers, Tanglevines, Walls of Thornes and Tree of Life.

This seams conterintuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. You can't target a hydro immune target with a hydro spell.

Gewar wrote:
This seams conterintuitive.

I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems odd. Without looking at the rules I would have thought Hydro Immunity meant Hydro spells did no damage to the target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So then can we safely assume creatures that are immune to fire damage will not be able to be defrosted when that ability is released?

I would hope for a rule update to allow for creatures to not be weakened by what should be their strength..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be right, but under immunity in the codex it clarifies that immunity prevents targeting with a spell of that type. There are pages of arguments on the Arcane Wonders forums with people arguing that this is counter to the'spells do what you think they do' ethos of the game to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hydro IMMUNITY should mean it is IMMUNE to any type of Hydro spells or damage, right? I'm confused shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the confusion? the rules are clear that a creature with immunity to a spell type can't be the target for that spell.

The argument on the AW forums is that it seems unthematic to not be able to use a hydro spell to put out fire damage on plant creatures that have hydro immunity.

Noone seems to think that the rules aren't clear in this regard.

Omahavice wrote:
Hydro IMMUNITY should mean it is IMMUNE to any type of Hydro spells or damage, right? I'm confused shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitko Simidchiev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
Check out our Bulgarian board games site BigBoxGamers.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I would like to take issue with the rules clarity on Immunity. You are correct that in the Codex it says that it cannot be targeted but in the rulebook itself (pg 26) it says that a creature with this trait "is completely unaffected: do not roll any attack dice or the Effect Die against that defender." If we interpret Immunity according to the actual rulebook rather than the Codex, I think that everything should work as players would expect - Geyser doesn't need to roll dice when extinguishing flames, and I could argue that you decide to reduce the number of dice you roll on the Wave (and then roll 0) before the immunity kicks in, thus allowing Extinguish to work logically. Same for Defrost one day. I don't honestly see the point of being unable to target something rather than just being unable to affect it negatively with an attack. I am pretty sure that I can launch a Fireball at an Imp that would have 0 effect on it, but I can, as a Mage, make the conscious choice to lob it its way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what the rules are:

Immunity
This object is immune to all attacks, damage, conditions, and effects of the
specified damage type, including critical damage and direct damage.

Now THIS is what the problem is: Its not that plants just cant be touched by water. Its the rules for Extinguish that causes confusion.

Extinguish is an attack- where you lower the attack dice to 1- then you roll one less attack die for each burn condition on the creature.

That is what I think the issue is, extinguish is an attack. (And how alexmitko said- the codex is slightly different, but the codex is not the rules so to speak.)

I believe that this will be solved shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I think of the codex as the precision for the rules. We've had a number of points where it's the codex that makes the rules understandable.

Darth, what makes you think there's going to be a different resolution to that we've already reached? Shadow and others on the AW forum seem fairly clear atm. Unless that's his point about only arbitration based on v 2 rules an codex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necro bump

The reason why I had said this is because ANY time an issue comes up like this with the players- it is talked about extensively. At the time of my post- we were already talking about any (And all known) concerns that the players have.

So that was the reasoning with my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which- Here is the official ruling (Incase anyone stumbles upon this thread)And this is precisely what I was talking about:

The ability to cancel the attack to remove Burn conditions is not optional. If the target has any Burn conditions, the effect must occur.
The Geyser attack spell may target an object with the Hydro Immunity trait.If it does, the attack deals no damage or effects to the object, other than to remove all Burn conditions.In this manner, a Geyser attack can be used to extinguish the fires of a burning plant object.

Even though I think there was a clear ruling from the get go, it still gets talked about, and fan impute is of the most importance. AW really wants to take the time and listen to their fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.