Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my reading of the rules, normally when you gain control of a citizen, you can, assuming it isn't already rotated, use its ability the same round you get it but not its influence (because you place influence token it).

But if you use an ability to remove all opponets token off of a citizen in conflict, can you use both its influence and its card ability that same round?

For example, suppose your leader is Bonafatius:

Then suppose at the end of a round, Citizen X has two tokens of the player who controls Bonafatius and two from another player.

In going through the end of round process, one token from each player is removed leaving one token of each player on the card.

In the course of the next round, Bonafatius uses his ability to remove his opponent's last token.

Since you only add an influence token to a card if you add tokens to a card that has no tokens on it, does that mean Bonafatius can now use both Citizen X's influence action *and* the character card action in the same round he acquired the card?

The rules make it sound like you can, I would just like to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Babis Giannios
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can.
Citizen X is in conflict and when you remove the last of the opponents token, it gets controlled by you (Bonifatius' player).
By that time, you are able to use both the Citizen's ability and Influence with it during the same round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most confusing thing in this aspect is that the player aid says to put an influence token on a character whenever you take control of them.

But according to the rules, this is only done if you influencen him or spend an ability to take control of him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
Thessaloniki (mostly), Trikala (sometimes), Meteora (at least once per Trikala trip), Athens (whenever possible), -how many more characters does it accept? Impressive! so I'm moving on with my list- Koromilia, Kavourotripes, Samothraki, Jogja, Bruxelles..
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the rules are pretty clear. You must put an influence token on 2 occasions:

1. On a character that performs the influence action (not the target).
(So that he cannot perform it again this round.)

2. On a character that goes from zero player tokens to having player tokens on him.
(He is new to the game of shadows, so he can't influence this round.)

Simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
I did not understand the token limit: when you influence someone, you could NOT cross the limit of the trait he has in common with your leader, but when you use character abilities, you COULD cross this limit?

For example, using ONLY character abilities, a character card may have 9 tokens of the same player on it, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
Thessaloniki (mostly), Trikala (sometimes), Meteora (at least once per Trikala trip), Athens (whenever possible), -how many more characters does it accept? Impressive! so I'm moving on with my list- Koromilia, Kavourotripes, Samothraki, Jogja, Bruxelles..
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly, abilities don't refer to traits, so they can exceed the influence limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tagar wrote:
Well, the rules are pretty clear. You must put an influence token on 2 occasions:

2. On a character that goes from zero player tokens to having player tokens on him.

Simple.

Wow...I love your game...but the rules were clumsy to learn from. The player aides were a help, but I felt the aides did more to teach the game than the rules itself.

Also...some of us gamers are getting old...try not to make rules text in backgrounds that are really dark! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaboda
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tagar wrote:

Simple.

Not so simple as the Player Aid actually states "Whenever a non-controlled Character card becomes controlled, place an Influence token on it". Which is why this is in question as this seems to state a rule that's not in the rule book. Thankfully it looks like Babis has at least let us know that the Player Aid is not correct in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You misunderstand. I'm not quoting the rulebook, I'm just trying to explain in a simple, non-term, visual way of thinking, how it works. I'm just trying to help, as I've played the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.