Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Solo game playing the Witch

Optional Rules in play:
Optional Combat Rules
(Including the corrected Missile Table from the 3rd Edition)
Watchful Natives
Extended Treachery

Starting Location: Inn

Starting Spells:
Absorb Essence, Remedy, and Deal with Goblins.

Victory Requirements:
1 point in Spells for 2 Learned Spells
3 points in Fame for 30 Fame
1 point in Notoriety for 20 Notoriety
Plus 10 Gold to account for my starting gold

Strategy:
Explore the Realm to find a decent tremendous monster to absorb. With the help of my trusty Familiar, seek out the Altar, Shrine, and Statue as a source of spells. Use Remedy to break possible curses received from learning spells and Deal to escape those pesky Goblins.

Report:
I took off from the Inn in one direction while my Familiar went the other. I passed through some tiles and found the Cliff with the Cairns and a Spider summoning sound chit. This was a great tile for a treasure hunter. I moved on to the caves of the High Pass and was blocked by a Heavy Dragon.

I could either run away or cast Absorb Essence. If I ran away, I would have to make a big backtrack or try to hide in the caves and move past the Dragon. Even though he wasn't the monster I was looking for, I cast Absorb Essence to get him out of the way.

I crept through the Borderland, into the Deep Woods, and found the Lost Castle with the Altar, Shrine, and Statue. All my treasure site spell sources were here, and the Lost Castle would surely summon enough monsters to meet my other requirements. It was only Day 7, and I was in a tile that could give me victory.

I moved to the Altar clearing and started searching. Before I found it, two Heavy Serpents and the Flying Demon prowled to the tile, and the Demon prowled to my clearing. I briefly contemplated pitting my Heavy Dragon against the Tremendous Demon. Instead, I ran from the clearing.

I escaped to a valley tile and cast Remedy to break the Absorb Essence. The Heavy Dragon reappeared and I headed back to the Altar to absorb the Demon. I got the Demon, found the Altar, and started Reading Runes. On Day 14 I learned the Type II spell, Prophesy. The game was half over, and I finally earned some victory points.

On Day 15, I popped over to the Shrine to visit the Flying Demon. The Heavy Serpents joined me, and the evening brought the great clash of the game. With an absorbed Demon, I faced the Flying Demon and two Heavy Armored Serpents.

I was hidden for the first round. I activated the Absorb Essence and became the Demon. My V2 Power of the Pit attack undercut the Flying Demon. It did no damage, but my enemy was in my grasp. If I matched his maneuver, I could kill him with a speed 4 auto-kill attack. The now aware Flying Demon counter attacked with his Power of the Pit. The Terror result had no affect on my Demon self and he died from my auto-kill, as I matched his move.

The Serpent's M4 and H5 attacks were not much of a threat against my tremendous vulnerability. Their best chance was matching my maneuver with the H5 attack, and, even then, they still needed to roll 2 or less. They had a several shots at it, but couldn't make the roll before I killed them both.

This one battle was worth 28 Fame and Notoriety. My Notoriety was covered and I only needed 2 more Fame. I got my chance for more Fame the next evening. I rested and re-enchanted my Type V chit as 2 Heavy Flying Dragons dropped in.

I didn't really want to face these guys. I just needed 2 more Fame, plus their H4 attacks were a bigger threat. If that attack matched my move, it had a 25% chance of killing me. I faced that game ending roll during the combat, but the Dragons fell to the Demon, and I earned an additional 15 Fame and Notoriety.

In 3 days I met all my victory requirements except 1 Learned Spell. I set about discovering the Shrine and learning the Type V spell. The tile was already populated by the Imp, a Spider, and a Tremendous Serpent, whose speed-4 auto-kill ability was the equal of mine. I found the Shrine and learned the spell, but not before being smacked by 3 curses, a Wither and two Ashes. Ironically, the spell I learned was Curse. I retreated to the safety of the Valley just as the Tremendous Serpent would have arrived.

I rested, cast some Remedies to rid myself of the curses, and relished my victory.

=========

I usually use Absorb Essence to grab one of the big bruisers like the Tremendous Troll or the Tremendous Flying Dragon, but the Demon worked out fine. His V2 Power of the Pit attack undercuts every monster in the game, except the Octopus. I could attack from a hidden position, guarantee a hit, and have my target in a speed 4 auto-kill death grasp. Unfortunately, the Power of the Pit attack itself is pretty worthless against Heavy and Tremendous monsters. The only valuable result is a 2 - "The target is instantly killed". And there's always the threat of rolling the dreaded snake eyes - "Fiery Chasm Opens". I actually rolled snake eyes three times during the course of the game, including twice in a row. That's a little unnerving when you are tossing Power of the Pit attacks around all over the place.

Because of the "Terror" result, this strategy is best used alone. "Terror" causes each character in the clearing to wound all of his Light and Medium Move and Fight chits. Additionally, all Light and Medium monsters, natives and horses in the clearing are killed. Your companions would not appreciate you suddenly killing their henchman and wounding a bunch of their chits. The Witch is immune to this effect when in Demon form as her action chits are frozen, and she cannot be wounded. See the 3rd Edition, 4.6.9 Transmorphization Spells, for details.

The Familiar was cool. By Day 9 or 10, I had all but 1 of the six clearing tiles revealed. Of course, there wasn't much of a payoff in this game, since the Deep Woods contained everything I needed. I did use the Familiar to discover all of the Deep Wood's Hidden Paths, in case I needed them.

As a side note, during my Pilgrim's adventure I found the exact same serendipitous combination of treasure sites in the Lost Castle, as recorded here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/69839

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tischer
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. This has been one of my favorite games for years. My nephew & I would play, each taking anywhere from 3 to 8 characters apiece - so each of us controlled a team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I knew the rules well enough to solo a game!!

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Zipfel
United States
Grayslake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I lived closer so i could get in on these games.

Can't wait for kit con 06.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys really should check out Realmspeak. A brilliant and beautiful java computer application that has almost all the rules in place now. You dont need to know the rules really well to have as many great solo game as often as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. I will. The VASSAL program isn't bad either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.