flag msg tools
badge
Dance Dino, Dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello geekers, I have two questions.

Part 1:
For reference, the rules from the card.

Seismic Charge
When this bomb token detonates, each ship at Range 1 of the token suffers 1 damage. Then discard this token.

Proton Bomb
When this bomb token detonates, deal 1 faceup Damage card to each ship at Range 1 of the token. Then discard this token.

Question:
Do the bombs take away shields or do they go right through them. Our group that is playing are all very new players and last night wast he first time any of us tried to use bombs. My side of the argument says yes as in the book there is a spot that says after canceling dice you take away shields and since bombs don't roll dice you don't use shields. But there is another post in the book that just says if you suffer damage remove shield tokens. We couldn't find anything int he FAQ either so now I turn to the geek.

Part 2:
A ship contacts another ship on its move at the same angle so the two ships are like boxes just pushed up against each other flat to the edge, but off center. One of the ships later moves a 1 straight. We couldn't really tell if the 1 maneuver template was long enough for the ship to make it past the ship it was already touching or not, it seemed very close. Is there an exact measurement for the ship bases vs the maneuver templates? We ended up deciding the template was just shy and that his ship thus stayed exactly where it was. Thoughts?

Help please, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proton bombs will bypass the shields. That's why the card tells you to deal damage, since it is going right to the hull. The seismic charge, on the other hand, will impact shields until they are gone.

The base of the small ships is the same lengths the forward 1 template. The base of the large ships is the same as forward 2 template. I think the instance you are referring to is covered in the FAQ, where ships that are touching because they collided in the last round are not considered overlapped in the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
A ship base is one forward long. But nubs might mess you up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Thisson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Follow-up questions:
1) If you drop a proximity mine, and roll 3 attack dice against the ship that detonates it, does that ship roll defense dice?
2) Do proximity mines bypass shields?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thisson wrote:
Follow-up questions:
1) If you drop a proximity mine, and roll 3 attack dice against the ship that detonates it, does that ship roll defense dice?
2) Do proximity mines bypass shields?

1) No - the defender suffers all hits/crits with no defense dice.
2) No, all damage goes for shields first then hull.
(Note that when ContainerJones mentioned Proton bombs going right for hull, the proton bomb states it "deals one face up damage card" meaning you get the card with or without shields.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible for a ship to be destroyed without losing any shields? With all this attacks that "go straight for the hull," does losing all your "hull" points count as an instant destroy, or do you still have to lose your shield? Or am I just completely off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
SwampMonster wrote:
Is it possible for a ship to be destroyed without losing any shields? With all this attacks that "go straight for the hull," does losing all your "hull" points count as an instant destroy, or do you still have to lose your shield? Or am I just completely off?

It is possible for a ship to be destroyed with its shields still intact. An A-wing hitting a proton bomb could be dealt a "Direct hit" card and blow up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
SwampMonster wrote:

It is possible for a ship to be destroyed with its shields still intact. An A-wing hitting a proton bomb could be dealt a "Direct hit" card and blow up.

I should have googled this before asking, although I'm sure others had the same question. The same response was posted on the FFG game forum.

For those who are wondering, the reasoning matches what I thought it was, if a ship has an equal number of damage cards and hull points, then it is indeed destroyed, whether or not it has shields remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.