Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first in a series of 3 Sneak Previews for the Tribes & Prophecies expansion for one of last years most popular games.

Thankfully, the Mayans were wrong, and the world didn't end. That meant however, that CGE and the original designers had to do some more thinking, since all games thesedays have expansions

Like most other CGE games, this is not a case of designing a game and then taking bits out of it to be included in an expansion. Thats not the way it works. Having been part of the development team for the base game, I can guarantee that all the stuff in the expansion is new stuff.

Whats in it then?
This first sneak preview isnt going to go into too much detail, so if you've already seen the videos and read a bit about it already, then there might not be much new here. But, some people will read this thread, not knowing anything, so I'm going to cover the basics first.

The expansion contains the following:

Tribes
What would an expansion called "Tribes and Prophecies" be if it didnt actually have tribes in it!
Each player begins the game with one of these cards (13 in the game), each showing a particular special ability which affects the game, but only for that player.

Prophecies
There are 13 of these too. The Mayans were clearly not supersitious. At the start of the game, 3 of them are chosen at random and these have an impact on the game for everyone.

5th player
Not only will there be counters for a 5th player, there is a special set of rules for playing with 5 players. There is also a variant where you can use these rules with less than 5 players.

New buildings
4 new buildings for each age bringing new effects to the game.

New gold cubes
No, not real gold. There was a production issue with the gold cubes from the first printing of the game, so CGE are going to put in a whole load of the new style gold cubes to replace the old ones. If you already have the second printing of the game, now you have lots of spare cubes and can spend time in between turns playing 'who can build the highest tower' - Oh come on, admit it, you all do it...

Thats all we've got time for in this first preview. I'll be going into a lot more detail in the next two previews (coming up over the next few weeks).

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

New gold cubes
No, not real gold. There was a production issue with the gold cubes from the first printing of the game, so CGE are going to put in a whole load of the new style gold cubes to replace the old ones.
What was the production issue? I thought that I had the 1st printing, but I haven't seen any issues with my cubes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
They were a gold-like gold colour. In poor light, they were hard to tell apart from the wood coloured cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
They were a gold-like gold colour. In poor light, they were hard to tell apart from the wood coloured cubes.
Oh, I can see that. I actually really like my gold-like gold cubes!

Of course, I did replace my wood cubes with Agricola bits (as well as my corn and stone). The gold-like gold is the only resource that I didn't replace.

I'm a micro pimper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it weird that I am most excited about having new gold cubes?

Thanks for the overview. Looming forward to the next parts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:

I'd be more excited if they looked like gold bars or nuggets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

New gold cubes
No, not real gold. There was a production issue with the gold cubes from the first printing of the game, so CGE are going to put in a whole load of the new style gold cubes to replace the old ones.[/i]

Great news!
Any word on preorders for Essen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
ins3kT wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

New gold cubes
No, not real gold. There was a production issue with the gold cubes from the first printing of the game, so CGE are going to put in a whole load of the new style gold cubes to replace the old ones.[/i]

Great news!
Any word on preorders for Essen?

Heck, any word on preorders *anywhere?*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

I'd be more excited if they looked like gold bars or nuggets

Yeah, can't tell you haw many times I have put some pimped bits, in my shopping cart online, only to think better of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:

But it sounds like the gold cubes in the expansion are the same as in the second printing. And in the second printing, there are only yellow cubes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle McCowin
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
Not in the face! Not in the face!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
Oh, I can see that. I actually really like my gold-like gold cubes!

Of course, I did replace my wood cubes with Agricola bits (as well as my corn and stone). The gold-like gold is the only resource that I didn't replace.

I'm a micro pimper.

I strongly considered this as I have trouble with the gold cubes myself but I've found the game is easier for new players when the resources are actual cubes because it's easier to match up with the various "any cube" iconography throughout the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Yeah, can't tell you haw many times I have put some pimped bits, in my shopping cart online, only to think better of it.

Source? In case I have less willpower than you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeplesource.com has corn, wood, stone, and gold eeples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the original previews - looking forward to the expansion previews as well.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Insert?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

In the poor light I've played in, from the stone cubes.

But I'll be sticking with the original cubes. In part because I like gold coloured gold, and in part because it shows I bought the game early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls