Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Federation Ship Cards - WIP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Custom [+] Cartas [+] Naves [+] [View All]
Here's a rough draft... what do you all think?

***EDIT: Latest Updates always in this post!***
From gallery of adorablerocket
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
A trial needs witnesses and evidence not a coverup.
Microbadge: Tactical Space Combat Games fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Proud GrandparentMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars Fan
Looking good. I always liked the Belknap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looks good! But I think you have to flip your arrows around on the movement cards for the reverse maneuvers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Armada fanMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
Generics never had special abilities in either X-Wing or Attack Wing.

Don't suppose you could share the template could you? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norsehound wrote:
Generics never had special abilities in either X-Wing or Attack Wing.

Don't suppose you could share the template could you? :whistle:
I know Generics never had abilities, but I really liked how the Reliant's range ability made her somewhere between an Attack 2 and an Attack 3. Also the whole point of the scout class is to hand out remote target locks - now granted in a 100 pt game a limit of one is fine... but what if we host a 200 pt game?

Basically if I try and put in a variety of ships in the TOS / Movie era, the stats don't have enough resolution without giving generics special abilities. Check out my update to see what I mean!

P.S. Yes I'm working on cleaning up the template... it'll be Illustrator/editable PDF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arcane Legions Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
lose the generic specials, if not simply name them. Generics are generics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I really like these, I have a bunch of "Star Trek Universe" models which could be easily converted to this game system. Just curious why the scouts do not get a Come About maneuver. It would seem these ships are more maneuverable and in their role as scouts would feel the need to "shoot and scoot". Is this more a Federation trait to have reverse instead to do 3 point turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Microbadge: Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyMicrobadge: Silver Boardgame UploaderMicrobadge: Rum drinkerMicrobadge: Human Rights CampaignerMicrobadge: Old & Chaotic Evil Bob, eclipsing the dark corners of the Geek with his own utter darkness, like a reverse black hole. Only more Evil.
Very nice! (One note: correct spelling is "acquire" and "Anubis".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Benedict
msg tools
Your belknap and Anubus cost too much. All ships thus far have been 2 points per stat, and those ships cost an extra point on your cards. Also I feel the Hermes Anubus and jenghiz are far too similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft wrote:
I really like these, I have a bunch of "Star Trek Universe" models which could be easily converted to this game system.

Thanks! I'm curious what is "Star Trek Universe"? I'm also maintaining the thread and spreadsheet on models that can be used with this game system...

Quote:
Just curious why the scouts do not get a Come About maneuver. It would seem these ships are more maneuverable and in their role as scouts would feel the need to "shoot and scoot". Is this more a Federation trait to have reverse instead to do 3 point turns?
In Attack Wing it seems that Federation ships don't have Come About, but instead tend to have the reverse maneuver instead.

The Belknap class I figured should be equivalent to a more combat centric Constitution Refit/Enterprise class. Since we don't know how the Constitution class and the Refit/Enterprise class will differ I decided arbitrarily that they would only really have improved movement dials.

That's also why the Scout class refit/replacement Hermes/Anubus is only 1 point and all about clearing the red arrows. Speaking of scouts and destroyers I actually didn't think it made a lot of sense to have them be super maneuverable since they only had a single warp nacelle (What combat is supposed to be only out of warp? I can't hear you!). My sense was that the scouts should be under powered for combat (no weapons slot) but useful in support.

Now the refit Destroyers are more about shoot and scoot I guess - they're the same cost as the refit scouts but with a slightly worse maneuver dial on the theory that the weapons cost them a tiny bit in agility. I suppose that if I did a Saladin class TOS destroyer it'd be like the Hermes but without the forward 4.

I'd thought about playing more with giving Fed's Come About or less red, but I've tried to stick closely to the TOS / Movie era ships we've seen already so we don't have fan-power-creep. I already worry I might have gotten there with the Akyazai...

As for the Akyazai, I explicitly avoided come about or tight 1 turns because even though this ship is supposed to be a super maneuverable answer to the D7 - my sense is that truly extreme maneuverability should be reserved for Corvettes like the Defiant or the fighter squadrons. That left me with putting in the extra fast and reverse moves... not convinced that's quite right tho' - so I took it out in the latest draft.

Here's a new draft with some value tweaks according to the above logic, let me know if they make more sense:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
Microbadge: Federation Commander fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Full Thrust fanMicrobadge: Go player
Very nice. Are you doing cards for Captains and upgrades as well?

It seems like I saw some images where the ship diagrams are on the ship's counter. This would be tempting to put together for a compact travel version and for playing different combinations of ships not, yet, owned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan S
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: "I can't shake him!"Microbadge: The Resistance fanMicrobadge: Escape: The Curse of the Temple fan - TorchMicrobadge: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer fan - Power Icon
Great work! I'm going to try and find some time in the next week to do a "DS9 - O'Brien Refit" including a rotate maneuver template. I'll watch for your files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
A slight mistake on my part, I meant "Star Fleet Universe" which has ships based more on the original series of Star Trek. The models are from Amirillo Design Bureau and Mongoose Publishing.

They feature other classic races like the Gorn, Orion Pirates, Tholians and Kziniti. I like the idea of small fleet actions with a range of ship types from small frigates to heavy cruisers and dreadnoughts. I think these could be adapted to the Attack Wing rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: My character uses two Shields?Microbadge: I'm a fan of Wages of WarMicrobadge: HeroQuest fanMicrobadge: The Mystery of the Templars fan - Templar shield with crossMicrobadge: Heraldry fan
adorablerocket wrote:
P.S. Yes I'm working on cleaning up the template... it'll be Illustrator/editable PDF
If you grabbed the templates from the images on the Defiant preview page, I can help you with the grey "starburst" pattern in the Special Abilities seciton...as I spent some time getting it right for the "Face Palm" card I made for fun.

I used paint .net (don't own Illustrator) so I don't know if it would be usable, but let me know if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Armada fanMicrobadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
Back when the Hermes/Saladin classes were made it was not yet established that the nacelles were necessarily drive systems (just "power units"). Without a secondary nacelle, just one pod was necessary for a saucer section that was configured for the specified duties.

But it's been remarked in the Starfleet Battles universe that Standard Destroyers and scouts were under-powered, and were phased out in wartime for better versions. Saladin is a "peacetime destroyer".

As for special abilities... in this case for ships specializing in electronic warfare I would have either made a special modification useable only on ships with, say, the Scout keyword. Or I would have made a new modification icon bubble for say Sensors that the Hermes et all would have to equip the range of these sensors.

Generics would be really for generics I think. Ask yourself how unbalanced would these abilities be if multiple ships had them built into the cost without any upgrades? *shrug*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I would be interested in learning more about these ship types. Is there a book reference or internet site that has good information with detailed specifications? Is the "Star Fleet Technical Manual" by Franz Joesph a good place to start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norsehound wrote:
Back when the Hermes/Saladin classes were made it was not yet established that the nacelles were necessarily drive systems (just "power units"). Without a secondary nacelle, just one pod was necessary for a saucer section that was configured for the specified duties.

But it's been remarked in the Starfleet Battles universe that Standard Destroyers and scouts were under-powered, and were phased out in wartime for better versions. Saladin is a "peacetime destroyer".
That's good to know. I'd leave the maneuver dials as they are in that case. I was also thinking you could imagine that the reduced mass of not having an engineering hull would require less "power" to move. That would justify the Miranda's superior maneuverability not due to the refit, but just due to the reduced mass. I don't like that interpretation though because it doesn't leave room for the Enterprise pre and post refit to really change at all...

Quote:

As for special abilities... in this case for ships specializing in electronic warfare I would have either made a special modification useable only on ships with, say, the Scout keyword. Or I would have made a new modification icon bubble for say Sensors that the Hermes et all would have to equip the range of these sensors.
A new modification bubble type would make sense and be the most consistent with the game system. You could even imagine that the inclusion of a "sensor suite" weapon upgrade could be the only difference between a scout and destroyer if done that way... messes with fannonical class designations, but I could live with that.

However it doesn't avoid the problem of the stats not providing sufficient resolution to make the Belknap class "just a slightly shooty-er Constitution".

Ok I'm convinced though that my current draft is not well balanced though...

If the Belknap has a rear firing arc and the same stats as the generic Constitution (even ignoring refit questions), then the only trade off is losing an crew slot for the same price. That doesn't seem like anyone would ever choose a Constitution then. That's even before I boost the attack for only the cost of 1 squad point...

I think I can make this work if I imagine the refit generic has even more upgrade slots...

Quote:

Generics would be really for generics I think. Ask yourself how unbalanced would these abilities be if multiple ships had them built into the cost without any upgrades? *shrug*
I don't have a problem with this in principle.

A ship an attack of 3 and with a +1 attack die at range 1 can be thought of as having an attack value of 3.3. It's a way to get a ship that's somewhere between a 3 (classic Enterprise) and a 4 (Enterprise D). I don't think any movie era ships should put out the same basic firepower as the Enterprise D, so the generic ability is a way to get some more resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft wrote:
I would be interested in learning more about these ship types. Is there a book reference or internet site that has good information with detailed specifications? Is the "Star Fleet Technical Manual" by Franz Joesph a good place to start?
Welcome to the world of fannon ship-ology! Someone once asked me if I was a fan of Trek, and I had to say "Yes, but I'm an even bigger fan of the ships!"

Here's more than a few places to start:
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/JAC.php#JAC747
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/TCH.php#TCH429

I'm personally a big fan of Mr Scott's guide to the Enterprise (no new ships but sets the tone for the fannon works very well), and the Ships of the Star Fleet series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ok, I did a new draft to see if I could make the bland generics work.

I like the way the scouts now require the sensor upgrade to work, and can get very good with a tactical officer. Maybe the TO is under costed?

I'm feeling only so-so about the balance between Miranda, Constitution, Constitution Refit, and Belknap. It's pretty clear that the Constitution stats we get are supposed to be for both the pre and post refit as there's just not enough dynamic range...

Also this ends up leaving the Jenghiz at a pretty poor position relative to the Akyazai. Maybe the latter is a little too maneuverable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
Microbadge: Federation Commander fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Full Thrust fanMicrobadge: Go player
Should the arrows at -1 and -2 face up or do you intend 180 degree direction change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GamePlayer wrote:
Should the arrows at -1 and -2 face up or do you intend 180 degree direction change?
That's what the official cards do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
adorablerocket wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
That's what the official cards do!
Ah, yes, you are correct. I was thinking the arrow shows facing which it does not except when it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks for those links. Next big question... where can I get suitable models to represent these? The ones I have that are classed as destroyers and frigates have 2 or 3 nacelles. I really like the single nacelle design the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here's where I've ordered some of mine!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cbfasi?section=1%3A5000+x1+S...

Apparently the Amarillo designs also has the TOS ships...

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scree...

And then there's these too...

http://www.starfighter-decals.com/sfd07-class-1-starship-col...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Very cool! I have ordered some models from Shapeways before for a Star Wars project. Great selection of Trek models there. Thanks again, I return the salute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |