Subject: Impact of overlapping Lord objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some have speculated (only after 0 to a few games) or have insisted (after playing several to a dozen games) that having many overlapping quest types for your lord objectives puts those players at a disadvantage for getting those quests and getting the bonus pts. In 5p games where there's 3 overlapping ones, such as 3 Warfare, it seems to play some role in putting up more hurdles as each player goes for them.

One person who's played the game 150+ times says that this really isn't an issue. The Lords just point newbies and players to specific quests, but doesn't unbalance anything in that regard.

Any metrics or otherwise observations from everyone else? If nothing else, the Lords just seem relatively bland when one of them is build buildings, and the rest are "5 choose 2" among the quest categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played three times, but if 3 people have Warfare, their other item is probably less contested (maybe only 2 have Skullduggery) and a better place to focus (or you just try to do 3-4 huge quests instead of lots of small ones).

Not sure you can catch on to this fast enough to switch gears, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that the expansion adds some different types of Lords as well, which further mitigates any problem that might exist. Personally though I don't think it's a big issue since the Lords that can overlap all have two quest types so even if someone steals a quest you wanted of a particular type odds are good there's another one for you to grab that's almost as good. (Not always, but usually.) Or worst case you complete a decent quest out of your Lord's forte, in which case you might be out 4 points but you still get to complete a good quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
I've only played three times, but if 3 people have Warfare, their other item is probably less contested (maybe only 2 have Skullduggery) and a better place to focus (or you just try to do 3-4 huge quests instead of lots of small ones).

Unless you have 2+ base game, you won't have 2 Lords with Skullduggery/Warfare, so if everyone is gunning for Warfare and you have Skullduggery on your Lord, you know nobody else will have Skullduggery (talking about 3-player).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant 4p. There is a Warfare/Arcana and a Warfare/Skullduggery. Presumablyone more combo exists for Warfare (I don't know them all) so all I meant was just focus on Arcana or Skullduggery instead of Warfare if you aretthat third person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
I meant 4p. There is a Warfare/Arcana and a Warfare/Skullduggery. Presumablyone more combo exists for Warfare (I don't know them all) so all I meant was just focus on Arcana or Skullduggery instead of Warfare if you aretthat third person.

There's one for every combination. Warfare/Arcana, Warfare/Skulduggery, Warfare/Piety, Warfare/Commerce.

I could imagine that if you were in a 4P game and the lords were e.g. Warfare/Arcana, Warfare/Skulduggery, Skulduggery/Arcana, Commerce/Piety, then the fourth player might be at a slight advantage. However I expect it would be just that - slight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game group we think this is an issue to be solved. Some of us played with Greg Bilsland, a wizard employee and he said the developers adopt a variant: the player can buy a face down quest from the deck.

We'll try someother variants here and than I post the results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Commerce/Piety would have two significant advantages:

1. Less competition for money/priests
2. About 2-3 times per game, in my experience, the Inn will end up with only Commerce/Piety quests.

In both of these cases, the CP player can use Waterdeep Harbor agents to take quests / useful spots, while the other players will have to rush for thier placements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This definitely has an impact - I've played probably over 4 dozen games, (only 3 with the expansion so far) and it can definitely impact you.

That said, the right plot quest dealt you at the beginning can easily have more impact on the game than overlapping lords.

For that matter, the building draws can have a huge impact. I had a recent game where no buildings that give you thieves showed up at all, and only late did any trade-in type buildings appear, and the resulting value of the 2-thief space on the game board was that it was the most important space on the board, with people grabbing starting player just to get 2 thieves. Quests became more important not if they matched your lord, but if they could be completed with no thieves.

A series of bad quest or intrigue card draws can have that level of impact depending on how the game develops as well.

Heck, in a several-player game, the style and strategies of players have an impact relative to where they sit in relation to you. A player that always wants to be first sitting to your right can be really helpful while one who plays that way sitting to your left can cost you several key actions.

All in all, there's a fair bit of luck in the game, perhaps more than it appears at first. But so many things can swing things one way or another, that it's a rare game that really creates an imbalance for or against any one player. That's my take on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.