Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Tis the season of BGG.CON
mbmbmbmbmb
1--What are the Games that males in your life have deemed to "Girlie" for them to play??

Girlie: Having qualities or characteristics more often associated with women than men. Usually, characterized by weakness/excessive refinement.

2--Do you agree with the boys? Even if you still play the games, does it bother you?

My daughter is six and we started this discussion about gender roles and gender bias all centered around games (like love letters) and what thus far she has observed in life.
At this point in her life she feels that she more problems with age bias. "Mom, no one takes a 6 year old seriously and they are missing out" I'll tell you her grocery shopping story one day. What can I say other then I agree? Kids ideas and opinions are to often over looked.

Other questions she posed are (I don't have enough experience in the Board Game World to answer them all)

3--Is it a male dominated industry? Are most game designers and publishers male?

4--How as the ratio Males:Females in board gaming changed over the years?

5--What are some Female Game designers with Boxed Games? Especially ones that don't involve Barbie/Disney Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Designing Women
Good Games Designed by Women
Women Game Designers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1--What are the Games that males in your life have deemed to "Girlie" for them to play??

I don't think we own any stereotypical "girlie" games. The closest we have is probably Miskatonic School for Girls because there are female girl protagonists? I mostly prefer Ameritrash games, but since I like them that makes them "girlie" right? Even if I did like games that some would place in that category I'm sure Adam would still enjoy playing them with me. He is confident and wise enough not to be effected by all that labeling bs.

2--Do you agree with the boys? Even if you still play the games, does it bother you?

I think it bothers me more when developers/players label games by gender or when games are directly marketed to females with sparkles, pink, shopping, dating, etc.

3--Is it a male dominated industry? Are most game designers and publishers male?

Yes.

4--How as the ratio Males:Females in board gaming changed over the years?

This is a hard one for me to answer. For both developers and players I would say that the amount of women involved is increasing but I'm not sure of the ratio.

5--What are some Female Game designers with Boxed Games? Especially ones that don't involve Barbie/Disney Games.

Indigopotter posted some great lists!

My best advice for your daughter is for her to embrace what she loves with great passion and don't be concerned about what anyone else might say or think about it. Easier said than done when you are young I know, but if she can cultivate that strength she will ultimately be happier for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Tis the season of BGG.CON
mbmbmbmbmb
Renwmn wrote:

more when developers/players label games by gender or when games are directly marketed to females with sparkles, pink, shopping, dating, etc.

Indigopotter posted some great lists!

My best advice for your daughter is for her to embrace what she loves with great passion and don't be concerned about what anyone else might say or think about it. Easier said than done when you are young I know, but if she can cultivate that strength she will ultimately be happier for it.

I think that you are right!! She still is in that all sparkles/ pink/ shopping and Barbie / strawberry shortcake=NESS of girlhood. She's our princess in a mud pie covered lace and frilly Easter dresses.

She doesn't really understand how it can be seen as a girly game. I think it's a nerve her brothers stumbled that they can tease her with. We had some family friends over that mentioned "Girlie" Games as well and that is what set her mind to work.

Honestly, this isnt a topic I thought I'd be discussing with her at 6 and I wasnt ready for it.

That LIST of female designers was great. She really enjoyed going through the list with me, especially the debates over the origins of Monopoly. I finally just asked her does it matter if a male or female made it if it's a bad game will you play it? no... If it's a fun game to play does it matter if a male or female made it? no. I asked her if someone said it was a horrible game but she enjoyed it was that going to stop her from playing? She said no. So, I asked her if it mattered if it was a girlie game or not? She said YES.....(not what I was expecting) but I asked why? "Because then I have no one to play with at home but you and ... well sometimes you are busy with stuff but I want to play." I agreed that waiting sometimes sucks... and

Guess I am having a talk with her brothers next. ... is that to "boyish" to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.