Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mastermind - Hela rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Werner DG
United States
California
flag msg tools
Re-uploaded a bunch of the previously posted cards, after play-testing/trying a few things, and realizing that the text on the cards was not always THAT readable...

And I got something next cooked up - New mastermind - Pretty nasty tricks and surprised: It's a trip to the Hel (Norse spelling!), and like the saying goes: You can check-in, but you can't check-out :-)
So quite a few things are geared towerds loosing Heroes in Hel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner DG
United States
California
flag msg tools
Since the Mastermind needed some companions and fellow-dark-region Villains, I put these together:

(Rev 3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey man, I've seen you whip up quite some good card over the last weeks, but my eyes are still hurting when trying to read their titles. I see no problem in having a yellow text font if that's how you want, but you can improve the readability drastically by adding a thicker black outline of the letters. I would also suggest not to change the look of your individual card titles as you did with this villain set since it reduces the coherence of a set. It's better to use the same font and color for all your cards.

Also, 11 strength?? If you add any scheme that strengthens the villains, there's no way to hit them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner DG
United States
California
flag msg tools
derare wrote:
Hey man, I've seen you whip up quite some good card over the last weeks, but my eyes are still hurting when trying to read their titles. I see no problem in having a yellow text font if that's how you want, but you can improve the readability drastically by adding a thicker black outline of the letters. I would also suggest not to change the look of your individual card titles as you did with this villain set since it reduces the coherence of a set. It's better to use the same font and color for all your cards.

Yeah: I know it was not 'perfect' the way I had it, with the yellow and red backgrounds for some of the pics. And I DID try to play with the yellow text etc, but it just didnt come out 'good'. Red wasnt perfect either, but it was better than the yellow (which was COMPLETELY unreadable)
Based on your feedback, the only thing left to do was to hunt for some new pics. Which I did manage for the 2 problem pics....
So new pics, updated titles (and consistent now with the other cards)
Give it a read/go...

(Just FYI: Not 100% happy with the Satannish card, but so far, I have not been able to find a better pic for the contract between the title and pic)

derare wrote:
Also, 11 strength?? If you add any scheme that strengthens the villains, there's no way to hit them!

They DO have 'bribe' :-)
Idea: You'll have to 'barter' for your life with these underworld characters...
But (attack) point taken: For 'regular villains', 11 was a bit much. Since I was playing with the titles/names of the cards, I scaled it down to 9 (with 'bribe' still there)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. If you ever have problems with readability, just increase the black outline with a pixel. I have found that everything becomes readable with a 2 pixel black outline (on a card image of 504-701).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner DG
United States
California
flag msg tools
derare wrote:
Nice. If you ever have problems with readability, just increase the black outline with a pixel. I have found that everything becomes readable with a 2 pixel black outline (on a card image of 504-701).

What I've done for these cards:
- Mastermind has yellow, with a dark yellow border
- Villains have yellow text and a black border
- Borders are 2 pixels thick
I tried playing with the thickness: 1 pixel, and it looks too 'fragile', and with 3 the border is too thick compared to the title text and it does not look good anymore.

One thing I'm looking at, is the trick that was used for Agent Coulson (Great job Coyote13!):
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/931358/variant-card-son-of-c...
That white haze is a 'feather' effect (at least that's what it's called in PaintShopPro). Only downside: In order to 'feather', you have to turn the text into a bitmap, which means editing the text is going to be more work (extra layer, feather the text separately, and then 'overlay' on the image etc...)
So I'm playing with a few things in this area for the Satannish card, since that's still not looking good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner DG
United States
California
flag msg tools
Satannish card modified - Title now 'feathered'. Lemme know what you think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Suetens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a big fan of the feathered effect since none of the official cards uses it... Try looking at those cards again. They are slightly darkened yellow with a clean black outline...

Already posted it elsewhere, but this tutorial teaches you how to do it: http://www.gimpology.com/submission/view/how_to_outline_text
Even if you are not using GIMP, I can imagine that this method can be used in any other layer-based program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Hela as a character and it looks like you've done a pretty good job.

Her Villain group looks very powerful. Good thing they are Bribe-able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu's effect of Strength Heroes are -1 Attack. Is that a permanent global ability for all players as long as he is in the city or should it be incorporated into his Fight effect alongside the Bystanders boost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.