GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,496 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 6 Player Operation Barbarossa Grand Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This week our gaming group played the operation Barbarossa campaign. We did this a little different as we played the campaign with 6 players. It works well with this campaign as the 3 theatres (South, Centre and North) all take place simultaneously with 2 players being able to play a theatre each. With the 6 people we were made up of experienced, semi experienced and novice players, which works well with the campaign as all 3 theatres are combined to determine the campaign winners.

We randomly picked teams and then got together to decide who would take on which theatre and distribute the reserve tokens. Once the first 2 scenarios were played in each theatre (The first phase) the teams could re group, re distribute the remaining reserves and move commanders to a different theatre if they liked, then continue play into the second phase.

Damo, Alex and myself took on the roll of the German commanders with Damo as the commander of army group North, Alex army group Centre and Myself in the south.

The Russian commanders were Scott in the south, Jim in the centre and Paul in the north.

The Germans split their reserves up with 2 tokens going to the centre and south and 3 going to the north. The Russians split theirs evenly with 5 going to each theatre.

I’m not going to go into much detail on each scenario as I was not able to witness each one. I’ll just give a rundown of each scenario that was played and the outcome.

So Germans start their invasion into Russian territory with the first battle in the north being Raseiniai, Bug River in the centre and Brody in the south.

Campaign Start:

North – Raseiniai:

This Scenario requires 7 medals for victory from both sides. 4 cards to the Russians and the Germans get 5 and go first. The Russians called up a reserve tank unit to take part. The final score was Russia 7, Germany 5. So the next Scenario will be Ingermanland.

Centre – Bug River:

Requires 5 medals to end the game but the Germans have to have 3 more medals than the Russians to “win” the scenario (So need to keep the Russians to 2 medals). The Germans play first with 6 cards and the Russians get 4. The Russians were also able to setup a sandbag in a hex from their reserve roll (for free). The score was Russia 4, Germany 5, but since the Germans didn’t win by 3 medals they must follow the red line on their flow chart. So the next battle will be Smolensk.

South – Brody:

The Russians go first in this one with 4 command cards, the Germans with 6. 5 medals to win the scenario. The Russians called up an artillery unit into their staging zone as part of their reserve roll. In the end the Germans win with 5 v’s Russia’s 4 medals. Next the 2 sides will have to slog it out in the Pripet Marsh.

Round 2 of the Campaign:

North – Ingermanland:

5 medals for both sides to win, the Germans go first with 5 cards and the Russians with 4. The Russians force the Germans to start the scenario with 1 less card, lose an infantry figure from a unit and retreat 1 unit with their victory event roll. The German roll forces the Russians to start 1 card down and the Germans get to choose a Russian unit to remove a figure from. The Germans call a combat engineer as a reserve and the Russians bring in a tank and artillery unit. The final score is Russia 5 and Germany 1. Ivanovskoye Bridgehead will be next.

Centre – Smolensk:

To win the Germans need 7 medals and the Russians need 5. The Germans play first with 6 cards and the Russians have 4. The victory rolls force the Russians to start 1 card down and retreat 2 units. The Germans lose an infantry figure and start a card down. The Russians decide to call in some armour reserves. The Germans end up winning with 7 medals v’s the Russians 2. Next they will head to Kamenewo.

South - Pripet Marsh:

The scenario requires 4 medals from both sides to win. The Russians move first and get 4 command cards, while the Germans also get 4 cards for the scenario. The Russians force the Germans to retreat a unit, and lose 2 tank figures (which there are none). The Russians then have to start 2 cards down and lose an infantry figure. The Russians call up a sniper from the reserve and the Germans get to place sand bags down on a unit. The Germans take to win with 4 medals and the Russians end up with 3. The battle moves onto Kiev.

Phase 1 ends:

All the Germans and Russians commanders get back together with their remaning reserves. All commanders decide to stick with their current theatres. The Germans issue 2 reserves each to the North and South and 1 to the Centre. The Russians stick with their current reserve count left. After some the commanders have filled their stomachs and had a few brews they are back on the field of battle.

Phase 2 starts:

Round 3 of the Campaign:

North – Ivanovskoye Bridgehead:

Both sides need 5 medals to win, with the Russians being able to act first. The Russians receive 4 cards and the Germans 6. The Russians retreat a unit and start with 1 less card while the Germans also start with 1 fewer cards, but also retreat 2 units and lose a figure from an infantry unit. (The victory event rolls are starting to build up against the Germans). The Russian called up some artillery reserves while the Germans brought on some infantry reserves. The German got a close win with 5 medals to the Russians 4. Which means they move onto Staraya Russa.

Centre – Kamenewo:

6 medals to win for both the Russians and Germans. The Germans move first starting with 6 cards and the Russians with 5. The victory events force the Russians to start with 2 fewer command cards and retreat a unit back. While the Germans take a loss on a tank unit, infantry unit and have to retreat one unit. The Russians call on a sniper reserve and the Germans a tank reserve. The Russians get the better of the Germans with 6 medals to their 2. The show down takes them to the Gates of Moscow.

South – Kiev:

To claim victory both sides need to reach 5 medals. The Germans start with 6 cards and move first. The Russians start with 5 cards. The Germans suffer 2 infantry units taking a loss form the Russian victory events. The Russians Have to retreat a unit, start a card down lose a tank figure and an infantry figure. The Germans move in for a defeat over the Russians, Germany 5, Russia 1. Their show down will be at the Battle for Rostov.

Round 4 of the Campaign:

North – Staraya Russa:

The final battle in the North is won on 5 medals, the Russians move first. The Germans receive 6 command cards and the Russians 5. On the victory events roll the Germans start with 2 less cards, and lose an infantry figure. The Russians start with 1 less card, lose a tank figure and a cavalry figure. The Russians call up a tank reserve while the Germans call on some infantry support. In the end the Russians crush the Germans 5 to 0 to finish off the battles in the north.

Centre – Gates of Moscow:

For this scenario both side require 7 medals to win. The Germans move first with 5 card, while the Russians also receive 5 cards. The Russians have to reduce a tank unit, an infantry unit and an artillery unit. The Germans lose a command card to start, 2 tank figures are lost and an artillery figure. The Germans are unable to call up an reserves while the Russians call up a tank and infantry unit. The Germans are stopped short of Moscow with the Russians winning 7 to 3.

South - Battle for Rostov:

Both Germans and Russians need 6 medals to win this one. Both commanders start with 5 cards and the Russians move first. The Germans are forced by the Russian victory event roll to remove a tank figure from 2 units. The Russians are then forced to lose 2 Infantry figures, start with 1 less card, retreat a unit and remove a tank figure from a unit. The Germans call up a tank reserve and are able to fortify a hex. The Russians Fortify and call up an infantry unit. The Germans are able to stop the Russians from re capturing Rostov, winning 6 to 5.

Campaign Scores:

North – Russia 22 Victory points - Germany 11 Victory points

Centre – Russia 25 Victory points - Germany 18 Victory points

South – Russia 14 Victory points - Germany 20 Victory points

In the North a decisive victory was won by the Russians given them 3 Grand campaign points

In the Centre the Russian won a major victory awarding 2 Grand campaign points.

In the South the Germans won a major victory gaining them 2 Grand Campaign points

The Russians win Operation Barbarossa with 5 Grand Campaign points to Germanys 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Kallo
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the campaign book, I tought it would be great to run a campaign like this. Maybe one day...
How long did you play in total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started at about 2pm and finished up at about 8pm, we were not rushing through either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we have to play this campaign just like you did.

Mind to share the self-made campaign sheets to track the scores?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I would have assigned the least experienced players the Soviets. I think that would have been more fitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
I think we have to play this campaign just like you did.

Mind to share the self-made campaign sheets to track the scores?

Thanks

I downloaded all the score sheets from the days of wonder memoir 44 site.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/cb1/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HitchKennedy wrote:
I would have assigned the least experienced players the Soviets. I think that would have been more fitting.

If we had of done that i think it would have been a German win hands down.

As it was, we had 2 players who had only played one gaming day, and an experianced player.

and on the Russians were an experianced player, and 2 guys that have played a fair bit.

So if anything might have been alot closer if we switch one of the new guys with one that had plyed a fair bit.

In the end it was a good day/night
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just seen this AAR. The whole event sounds like a lot of fun! Did everyone enjoy the campaign? Perhaps the German commanders enjoyed the brews a bit too much during the break?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah was a really fun way to play this campaign (and get new players involved). yea the beers were flowing, but the germans only had 1 experienced player, the other 2 were pretty new to memoir, the Russians had all played before. We picked sides randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.