GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,483 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Romulan Fleet Exercises rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Alex and I are starting to tune up builds for the second month organized play event. Independently of one another we came up with fairly similar builds.

As a variant on my month one build I shipped Picard and Terrell off to Romulus in an officer exchange program. I also wanted to try out the elite attack die resource that I got last week from Month 1.

Valdore
Picard
Spock

Valdore-class
Donatra
Romulan Tactical Officer

Apnex
Terrell

Elite Attack Die

Picard Cloaks First

My plan was to put Terrell into cloak immediately and leave him there for the entire game where he could pump the defense of my two heavy hitters. Donatra as on the Valdore-class to push Picard's attack die along with the Valdore's ability to hit harder after performing a green maneuver and Picard shooting first.

Alex built his list around the Khazara that was armed with a Klingon Advanced Weapon System that would allow it to remain cloaked. He put Donatra on the his Apnex, providing an offensive punch to my defensive one from the safety of cloak. Mirok was on the Valdore and Toreth was on the Khazara.

Alex's Fleet

Alex's forces came out quicker then mine but both dropped immediately into cloak. This match was going to be one of playing Marco Polo and waiting for the dice to favor one side or the other or someone to make a mistake.

The cloaking devices on my fleet were far more effective than those of Alex's as can be seen in the next picture.

Cloaking Device Engaged Captain

Alex turned to port, intending to take my fleet head on in one cataclysmic alpha strike but things didn't turn out quite as he had planned.

Alpha Strikes

Because of the firing angles I was not able to concentrate either the Khazara or the Valdore. Everyone was cloaked so we were shooting at vague sensor readings without knowing for certain how we would do. Two solid hits from my Valdore found his Valdore and Donatra's Valdore-class pecked away at the Khazara. His return fire was completely ineffective, failing to even scratch the paint on my ships.

In the turn after that I think Alex made his first mistake. He slammed the Khazara in reverse while flying through my formation with the other two ships. In dividing his forces he allowed himself to be defeated in detail. My Valdores were able to get him down to a single hitpoint and Capt. Terrell on the Apnex used the ship's special ability to deal the final point of damage, destroying the hulking D'Deridex.

The Death of the Khazara

Since the Apnex's ability is an action, I was able to fly Terrell aft of the Khazara before setting of the ability and so only damaged the Khazara and my Apnex. While the Khazara was being destroyed, Alex turned around with his fleet and began a long looping flight to port. Included in this was a brief action where Terrell and the Apnex were destroyed (a fair exchange I think). The maneuver I was most proud of was a synchronized "come about" where my two Valdore ran out, turned and then did a bank to starboard putting them in position to destroy the Apnex and turn onto Alex's Valdore.

Stooping Falcons

By this point Alex was on auxiliary power, had been reduced to 2 hits or so and had at least two critical hits on the Valdore (no captain abilities and one other, I don't recall). The game was all but over as he would be heavily attacked in the turn after this one and so he conceded.

Picard Shoots First is wickedly good in Fed lists with his all around phaser. Giving him cloak makes the build that much scarier. I'm not sure as to the merits of the EAD. It would be great on a Fed list but you lose 25% of its potency without battle stations. The best benefit that the EAD provides is that it can offer extra punch to every ship in a squadron, not just the one carrying a weapon card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:
My plan was to put Terrell into cloak immediately and leave him there for the entire game where he could pump the defense of my two heavy hitters.

Oh, THAT is just silly, that's what that is! Cloak breaks actions, but not powerful 'passive' special abilities...d'oh...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actions don't break cloak, only attacks. That is the way I read the bottom of column two on page 10 anyhow. It only mentions attacks and then at the top of page 11 raising shields. Seems like you can evade, target lock or whatever once you are in cloak and maintain your cloak.

Both of us did the same thing only he used Donatra as his passive pump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:
Actions don't break cloak, only attacks. That is the way I read the bottom of column two on page 10 anyhow. It only mentions attacks and then at the top of page 11 raising shields. Seems like you can evade, target lock or whatever once you are in cloak and maintain your cloak.

Alright, certain actions, anyway - I'm thinking of the top right corner of pg 19 - "Actions and Cloaking".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. The ones that spring to mind in that case usually getting beamed over to another ship to cause mischief of some sort (Klingon Boarding Party comes to mind).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:

Picard Shoots First is wickedly good in Fed lists with his all around phaser. Giving him cloak makes the build that much scarier. I'm not sure as to the merits of the EAD. It would be great on a Fed list but you lose 25% of its potency without battle stations. The best benefit that the EAD provides is that it can offer extra punch to every ship in a squadron, not just the one carrying a weapon card.

Well, if you have Picard, you can go to Battle Stations even on a cloaked ship, you know. Though I'm not convinced EAD+BS gives a better result than just taking a Target Lock and rerolling all your misses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
California
flag msg tools
Mike Sisson wrote:

Actually, it's even worse: Cloak can be re-established in the turn after you fire. All you lose is the ability to do a different action (because you are spending that action to cloak again).

This means you can shoot every turn and still remain under the protection of the defensive bonus indefinitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daveydavedave wrote:
Mike Sisson wrote:

Actually, it's even worse: Cloak can be re-established in the turn after you fire. All you lose is the ability to do a different action (because you are spending that action to cloak again).

This means you can shoot every turn and still remain under the protection of the defensive bonus indefinitely.

Kinda. 'Mostly' kinda, anyway. On the round that a ship cloaks, it can still be target-locked, so...it's not really a FULL 'cloak' as if you'd left it on the whole time. So if you plan to engage cloak + shoot literally every turn, you are sacrificing your ability to do anything else (such as 'sensor echo'...another fairly important advantage to the cloak), and the enemy can get target locks on you, regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't cloak and sensor echo on the same turn with Picard because Picard only gives you one of HIS actions as the free one. So you can so something on the ship/crew AND Battle Stations/Target Lock/Evade/Scan. Picard's great cross-faction utility is bringing Battle Stations to the masses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kemikos wrote:
Mike Sisson wrote:

Well, if you have Picard, you can go to Battle Stations even on a cloaked ship, you know. Though I'm not convinced EAD+BS gives a better result than just taking a Target Lock and rerolling all your misses...

I'm not convinced either. In this build I'm using Scan instead of BS because Spock gives a backdoor Battlestations from his static ability. In a cloak heavy list I'm almost always rolling six defense dice, maybe even seven if I kept Terrell in close

EAD gives that portable punch of a guaranteed hit (maybe two, doesn't have to be reloaded like a torpedo and can be moved around the fleet. Like I said, I'm still thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:
kemikos wrote:
Mike Sisson wrote:

I'm not convinced either. In this build I'm using Scan instead of BS because Spock gives a backdoor Battlestations from his static ability. In a cloak heavy list I'm almost always rolling six defense dice, maybe even seven if I kept Terrell in close

EAD gives that portable punch of a guaranteed hit (maybe two, doesn't have to be reloaded like a torpedo and can be moved around the fleet. Like I said, I'm still thinking about it.

Spock doesn't give a "full" Battlestations ability, only on attacks. Battlestations can also be used defensively, just not with Spock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that. The point is that with a cloak heavy list, I don't feel like I need to rely on Battlestations defensively so I can instead use scan to ding the target's defense dice and Spock to pump my own attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.