Mission Command Air» Forums » General

Subject: Mission Command: Air vs Screaming Eagles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Morton
United States
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
I am old. I remember playing Eagles (always the Cobra) when I was young with my best friend (whom still is to this day). The game was awesome. You had F-16 and F-18 spamming missiles, flanking, and as some would call it "Afterburning".

This is in the era of Top Gun, so the game held a special place for me.

I was trying to find old games I played with my dad, found the Screaming Eagles game page, and saw it was remade. SWEET!!! An easier to acquire copy... WRONG!

MCA is not bad, it just is a very clear variant on SE.

Clear differences:
SE had 2 Long Range, 3 Medium Range Missiles, 8 Cannons, and 2 Flares
PLayer controls 2 equal planes
1 Deck per Plane
Each player gets 1 Plane in 4 players

MCA has 5 or 6 Missiles and no cap on Cannons.
Players has 2 different planes (very similar, but different)
Wingman + Disruption cards
1 deck for 2 Planes
2 Planes per player always

There are pro's and con's for either game. But the 2003 MCA feels more like drive-by, trigger happy, better-lucky-than-good piloting. Eagles made you really think about where you would go, because in 4 player, one good hit and you could be sucking clouds and vapors. MCA got rid of probably a few confusing parts, but then added in priority maneuvers, endless ammunition and always having a backup plane.

The lack of Flares in MCA means you just jet around and 'maneuver' better; in theory. The fact that you cannot have both planes do the same move irks me somewhat. Also the generic 'missile' annoys me,because I remember dodging like hell, and getting the flares ready whenever you heard 'Firing Long Range Missile'.

Oh well. It is just another obscure game that truly seems wasted on 'the youth of today'. It hurts me in general when it becomes so hard to get actual kids (nephews in my case) to sit down, unpowered/unconnected, and throw some dice and play some cards.

My ranting is simply to say, the old days were better. You know, like they always are.

I also would like to say, war games are either very complicated or so watered down that to yearn for a 'proper' 1987 boardgame seems criminal.

Atleast X-Wing Miniatures is able to give me the fix I need for the Screaming Eagles yearning I feel.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Faustus MItternacht
msg tools
Got Screaming Eagles in the mail.
Its has tan F-16s and what appears to be two blue Mig 25s Foxbats.
Not wanting to play the Mig I ordered another set of planes and got 2 blue F-16s and tan Foxbats to compliment the set. Complete with stands.
Promises to be a interesting dogfight with friends in the future.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.