Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I'm a web developer with a passion for Eclipse and expanding and augmenting games. I'm trying to gauge the interest level in the following digital supporting item for an Eclipse game. This would be available to use on a web site, you'd just need to keep a laptop at the table.

Digital Technology Board - This would automate the chit pull and display of the technologies available for purchase. Allows you to leave the tech chits in the storage box and only when someone purchases it, remove it from the storage. Could also potentially keep track of which techs every player has purchased. It could be set to also have the assets from RotA and the Development tiles. The site would also have a digital turn tracker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh... to me this would just be window dressing, since there isn't a high amount of computational complexity of drawing tech tiles out of a bag.

I also like the tactile feedback of play board games, this is one of the reasons I enjoy them.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Automatic turn tracker would be nice, because remembering to advance the turn tracker is a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem would be that you still need to place the techs on your player board - so you still need to pull them outta the bag... Keeping track of turn or randomizing which player people are may be cool - but still not that useful... don't think I would use it to be honest.

However I like that you are interested in using your skillz for the game - maybe there are other areas that could use your skill...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Lawrence
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping track of the technologies isn't an issue for me. My issues are remembering to advance the turn marker and keeping track of the resources in a way that a table bump doesn't ruin the count.

Of course, remembering to advance the turn marker is just as difficult if you're doing it manually or clicking a button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why combining it with something else is good. Remembering to click the "advance turn" button is hard, but you'll always remember to click the "add new tech tiles and advance the turn tracker" button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the honest responses. I asked at first because I'm looking for a new side project and didn't want to devote the time to something that wouldn't be used.

For our games, we dedicate the tech pull and turn marker advancement to a single player while another player calls out the phases making sure everyone is doing what they need to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Thanks for the honest responses. I asked at first because I'm looking for a new side project and didn't want to devote the time to something that wouldn't be used.

For our games, we dedicate the tech pull and turn marker advancement to a single player while another player calls out the phases making sure everyone is doing what they need to do.

What phases are there to call out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravendas wrote:
veector wrote:

What phases are there to call out?

Actions
Battle
Upkeep
Cleanup

But yea... if you don't know what phase is happening, you're driving playing while texting.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.