Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Im interested in trying a variant as follows.

1) Use the last movement point to change facing
2) If a gladiator is attacked from rear three hexes add an extra attack die

It would be tough to get behind someone, but it really would make some great theatrics and make the combat a little more interesting for faster units with less attack strength

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea. If facing matters, wouldn't that affect the whole movement of the gladiator? Or would it be accepted that the figure can move backwards at the same speed he moves forward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch.. that would make it tough for a weak player if he had to pay to back up. I think making someone pay extra to move back one space would be too much for the game.
Im gonna play with the idea a bit and do some testing.

Personally it is very tough for someone with weaker gladiators to fight aganst some of the big guys. JUst looking for way to add a little bit more probability using speed/tactics and good luck to have a chance for a hit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
If he doesn't have to pay a movement point to change facing, but whatever his facing is counts at the end of a turn, it might still be a valid rule variant. Particularly in a Primus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thematically bonuses for attacking from behind would only make sense in a Primus.

During a 1 on 1 Gladiator fight in an arena, I think the odds against ever allowing your opponent to get behind you are slim.

At least in a Primus when there's more than one target, I can see it being possible.

But 1 on 1? I would never say never. But I would say almost never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This adds a lot more power to faster gladiators, and faster gladiators are already at a pretty big advantage.

This also leads to the amusing scenario of both gladiators running behind each other and attacking on each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garyaxe wrote:
Thematically bonuses for attacking from behind would only make sense in a Primus.

During a 1 on 1 Gladiator fight in an arena, I think the odds against ever allowing your opponent to get behind you are slim.

At least in a Primus when there's more than one target, I can see it being possible.

But 1 on 1? I would never say never. But I would say almost never.

Watching season 1 Episode 5? where Spartacus and Crixus fight the thing in the pit. WOW.
The minis in this game and the board are perfect for Arena Games $10 ruleset
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43545/arena-games

There is so much that could be done with the arena to make it an even more blood thirsty game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hatt
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
charlescab wrote:

Watching season 1 Episode 5? where Spartacus and Crixus fight the thing in the pit. WOW.

Just saying, it was Theokoles, not the thing in the pit but yes, that is one of my favourite episodes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.