BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games to play with my Elderly Aunt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
World's Greatest Superspy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

My Aunt is in her seventies and she lives alone. I try to go by her house regularly and spend time with her. Often we play games like Backgammon or Cribbage. She enjoys them and I think they help keep her sharp. What I'm looking for are some simple games for two people that she might enjoy. Nothing very complicated. I've heard interesting things about Go. How easy would that be to pick up and learn? Any recommends are greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Capps
United States
Milan
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go is actually a VERY complex game. It can start simple, but in the end it's honestly a LOT to learn.

I'm not sure on suggestions, I have had a few games of Catan with my grandmother in law who's in her late 60s and she enjoyed it quite thoroughly.

I'll try to think of more for you if I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure Go is a good choice... it's an order of magnitude more complicated to play well than the games you listed (though the rules are relatively simple).

I'd suggest other abstract games. The GIPF Project series is especially good; my favorites include DVONN, YINSH, and ZÈRTZ.

There's also some really good 2-player card games out there. Jaipur is brilliant and easy to teach, and seems to have eclipsed Lost Cities as the go-to game for this sort of thing.

I would also recommend Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, Thurn and Taxis, and Finca. These are games my wife and I regularly play 2-player, and I think they'd be a good match too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that Rummikub is popular with older people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
I find that Rummikub is popular with older people.

We've played that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about Jaipur?

Opps I see its been mentioned..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Padron
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
From least difficult to most:

Ali Baba
Sherlock
Raj
Battle Line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 73 and I play: MtG, D&D, Duel in the Dark, Carcassonne, Pillars of the Earth, Shadows Over Camelot, Dominion, Citadels, Roll Through the Ages, Elder Sign, Belfort, Martian Dice, Dungeon Roll, Friday, Pandemic, Fluxx (!!!), Arcana, BattleLore, Wings of War, RoboRally, D-Day Dice, ...to name a few.

My point: don't assume we old geezers can only comprehend simplistic games.

Sorry; just a bit of a rant. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with Qwirkle. It's easy, fast and fun. It has won a lot of awards. Go with the standard version (not the travel) for the better size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cobame wrote:
I am 73 and I play: MtG, D&D, Duel in the Dark, Carcassonne, Pillars of the Earth, Shadows Over Camelot, Dominion, Citadels, Roll Through the Ages, Elder Sign, Belfort, Martian Dice, Dungeon Roll, Friday, Pandemic, Fluxx (!!!), Arcana, BattleLore, Wings of War, RoboRally, D-Day Dice, ...to name a few.

My point: don't assume we old geezers can only comprehend simplistic games.

Sorry; just a bit of a rant. ninja

I'm not. She just doesn't seem to like anything that we played that was a little more complicated. She really dislike SkipBo.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1269/skip-bo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Go, but I do visit with an elderly friend each week (older than you aunt),and she really likes playing Tri-Ominos ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Qwirkle is great, but my wife and I like Qwirkle Cubes better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried some co-op games like Forbidden Island, Urbion or Onirim? Might be fun. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Automator Threetousand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Whenever I visit my parents, I bring Hive along to play with my mother. She taught me to play Chess as a young child, and this is right up her alley. Very quick to teach someone, and it's open enough in its strategy to make each game play out in a new and interesting way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacy Crawford
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Qwirkle would a great choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the Project Gipf
+1 for Qwirkle

Further I´d like to suggest Blokus or Blokus Duo, Quarto, Octiles and last but not least my Cairo Corridor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some word games - spelling, thinking of a certain word, etc.:

Bananagrams - similar to Scrabble, but easier and more fun. There's a time element to it that Scrabble doesn't have.
Boggle or better yet, Big Boggle - they've been around so long that you must know them.
Quiddler - called "the short word game." Starts with a hand of 3 cards from which you have to make a word. Increases one card per round up to 10 cards. Can be played well with any number of players.
Word on the Street - thinking of a word that fits a certain category, trying to get words with lots of consonants so you can steal letters from your opponent.

Numbers games:
Can't Stop has been around since 1980 but has experienced a recent resurgence of popularity.
Take it Easy! - mechanic slightly similar to Bingo. Turn over a tile, and everyone has to use that same tile on his individual board. Works with 2, and super fun with 6 players. Lots of laughing and chatter.

Euro-light:
Cartagena - at easy introduction to Euro-style meeple movements.
Show Manager - drawing cards to complete a series of required combinations.

I agree with the recommendations for Qwirkle and Jaipur, though I think she'll prefer Qwirkle. Another one with a style similar to Dominoes is Ingenious.

By the way, I'm 66 and my two regular gaming partners are 70 and 76. We play Euro strategy games much more than the ones I've recommended. But I own all those I've listed and enjoy them with the right people. They're non-gamer games rather than geek games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.