Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a couple of boxes of L5R cards really cheap at a yard sale.
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I was having trouble finding answers in the forums, so two quick questions:

1) There are many different looks and different backs to these cards--are they all compatible with one another?

2) The older cards (which have less polished-looking layout and art) don't have the rarity symbols (circle, diamond, star). Is there a way to tell their rarity level, or do they even have rarity levels? Thanks in advance for any info.

P.S. Of course I'll be sharing GG with those who provide useful answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andri Erlingsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Cards are released as part of a year or two-long arc and they are balanced mostly against that arc, not to mention that there are some rules differences between arcs. What this means is that cards from different arcs are compatible but not exactly balanced, so you might be able to put together a playable deck. It would not be tournament legal, though. If you're playing with cards with different backs the best option is to use opaque card sleeves.

2)There is an official database of all L5R cards here http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/ so you can look your cards up to check their rarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stevenson
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I am jealous. It's been a while since I had anything that gamer-y show up at a garage sale for me.

The cards are all mostly compatible, although there have been some rules changes over the years. You can visit the www.OracleOfTheVoid.com to not only see a complete catalog of every L5R cards, but also the text of every card updated so that it works with the modern rules (well, almost every - I don't think there was any way to make the old "gift" lobbying cards work). But what you might be referring to is not subtle things like that but just the different card faces and backs. That doesn't make them not compatible. They had to change the original card backs because the US Olympic Committee went after them (the Olympics has a monopoly on anything using five interlocking rings). The card faces after also changed twice over the 18 years the game has been out, but there's no particular compatibility issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Thanks to both of you for the info. Very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an unofficial Legacy format that attempts to reconcile all the various rules that have come and gone through L5R's history. It's probably your best bet if you want to play with cards from a long time span.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.