Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Sheppard
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played about 4 times and every time no human has ever escaped.
I'm curious to know if anyone has escaped and how you did it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! We've had humans escape by various means: some by very careful evasion, and others by a last minute mad dash. As a human, no matter your strategy, however, it would seem that you have to be willing to take some risks -- just not silly risks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very hard, but possible. I'd however suggest to remove the airlock cards. Reaching one is a big success that doesn't need the frustration of it being broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Sheppard
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the humans have a strategy? Or just luck?

During the last game I played it was with 8 players and the last human lasted for quite a while and I think it was because they were new to the game wasn't really sure about what they should have been doing. They didn't directly head for a hatch. Which is what I think helped them since all the aliens did go for a hatch they got there too soon which lead to confusion and gave the human a small window to make a break for it.

I'm not sure what the strategy should/could be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lien Rag
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a human:
-at the beginning, if you can lie, pretend to be coming from the alien hatch; alternatively, take an illogical for human (but logical for aliens) sequence of "sound hex"/"silent hex".
=> thus aliens may believe you and concentrate on other players.

-Always prepare your lie _before_ entering a "sound hex" and say what you have to (lie or truth) immediately ; always lie the same way, pretendeing to take a logical way, and ALWAYS have the same sequence of "sound hex"/"silent hex" in your pretended pathway and real pathway. Don't hesitate to have a strange/illogical real pathway but always have a simple/logical pretended path.
=> thus, aliens will believe you are going left while you are going right. When you'll have to tell the truth, it will seem unlogical, and far ; when they will see you mistook them, it will be too late for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LienRag99 wrote:
As a human:
-at the beginning, if you can lie, pretend to be coming from the alien hatch; alternatively, take an illogical for human (but logical for aliens) sequence of "sound hex"/"silent hex".
=> thus aliens may believe you and concentrate on other players.

-Always prepare your lie _before_ entering a "sound hex" and say what you have to (lie or truth) immediately ; always lie the same way, pretendeing to take a logical way, and ALWAYS have the same sequence of "sound hex"/"silent hex" in your pretended pathway and real pathway. Don't hesitate to have a strange/illogical real pathway but always have a simple/logical pretended path.
=> thus, aliens will believe you are going left while you are going right. When you'll have to tell the truth, it will seem unlogical, and far ; when they will see you mistook them, it will be too late for them.
I have only played once, and I was a human and I alone escaped. laugh

I used a strategy similar to what you just described, as I recall. I used what lies I had to appear to be making a pretty clear run for an unguarded hatch, while in reality, I was slipping back between the aliens towards a more difficult to reach hatch. I think I got two fortunate lies along the way, but by then it was too late for the aliens. By closing on the "phantom" me, they couldn't reach me in time to prevent me from reaching the hatch.

That was most intense and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: Merry ChristmasMicrobadge: I sneak board games into the house - Ho ho ho!!!Microbadge: Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!
kilrah wrote:
Very hard, but possible. I'd however suggest to remove the airlock cards. Reaching one is a big success that doesn't need the frustration of it being broken.
Couldn't agree more. We played one game where it took one human three attempts to make it out due to the airlock cards. What fun is getting beat by entire random probabilities after fighting all game to avoid detection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
kilrah wrote:
Couldn't agree more. We played one game where it took one human three attempts to make it out due to the airlock cards. What fun is getting beat by entire random probabilities after fighting all game to avoid detection?
Also agreed. I've never used those cards and personally have a 30-40% win rate as human for this game. I don't follow any one strategy other than trying to take the shortest path or based on my experience with folk, take the hatch I feel no one else will go for so someone else's mistakes don't give me away. I suspect those cards would make it close to 0%; it's hard enough to make it to one hatch, but if you have to make to another hatch on another side of the map...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Onnen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night and won as a human. I got extremely lucky, truth be told. I got 80% green cards on my draws. (Question: what is the percentage of red/green/white cards? I didn't bother to count.) I think the key is to have a lie ready: do the quick math on where you plausibly could be from the last lie...or truth, as the case maybe. Ultimately, I was able to keep the aliens guessing long enough.

This is a great little example of an elegantly designed game. For all the giant boxes I have on my shelves full of minis and meeples, this provided as much tension as game night has seen in a while! Also, the postmortem storytelling is great: "Wait, how did you... But when you were over there... What? You were NEVER over there?!" Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls