Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a big Monopoly fan, and honestly I am too. We have a couple of versions of the game, including a deluxe anniversary edition, Clemsonopoly (based on our alma mater Clemson University), and a travel version. A couple of years ago, I ran across the Hasbro card game adaptions of their board games, and the one which caught my eye immediately was Monopoly Deal. I like card games, especially cheap and self-contained ones like these. So I picked it up (along with Sorry! Revenge, Scrabble Slam!, and Clue Suspect), thinking that it might be fun for the two of us since we don’t have much time to play the full game right now. We finally got a chance to break it out over the past weekend while we were at the beach for our anniversary.

The Cards:
--Properties, including Wild Cards. All of the Properties from the game are represented, along with a series of Property Wild Cards. These cards are the key to the game because you need to build up 3 full sets of Properties to win the game. The Wild Cards are all double sided; each is split along two colors, so you can play it either way depending on which Property set you want to play it as. As you build up the number of Properties you have in a set, the Rent value increases (see the Rent cards, below).

--Cash. These are banked in your Bank, appropriately. You use Cash to pay for Action Cards played against you, which I will get into below.

--Action Cards. These can be played to the center for some kind of effect, or banked for their Cash value (printed in the top corner of each card). These include: Forced Deal (swap a property with another player), Sly Deal (steal a property from another player), Pass Go (draw two more cards), It’s My Birthday (every player pays you $2M), Debt Collector (one player pays you $5M), Rent (each player pays you the Rent value of a certain color Properties you control), House and Hotel (each of these increase the Rent value of a full set of Properties), Deal Breaker (steal a full set of Properties from an opponent), and Just Say No (cancel the effect of an Action Card played against you). You can use Cash, banked Action Cards, or Properties to pay for the effects of Action Cards played against you.

The Play: Each player starts with 5 cards. On each turn, you draw two cards, and then can play up to 3 cards. You have to have 7 cards or less in your hand at the end of your turn, or you discard down to it. Play itself is pretty straightforward – put down Properties to build sets, bank Cash, and play Action Cards on your opponents. Things move pretty quickly, and the tide can change very rapidly.

Modifications: For a two player game, by mutual agreement my wife and I removed the Deal Breaker cards. Stealing an entire set of Properties seems too powerful for just two players. Negotiations are allowed – much like how we play “real” Monopoly. The rules say you can rearrange your Properties on your turn, so we ruled that you can turn Wild Card Properties over to their other side on your turn if you wanted to.

The Verdict: Fun little game for Monopoly fans. It uses almost all of the iconography and imagery of the board game but plays a lot faster. As a two player game, it’s nice for a little diversion after dinner or before bed. I can see how this would be a raucous session with 3 or more players. Overall, my wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit and we have already played a few more sessions now that we are at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my favorite version of Monopoly to play. There is ambiguity on how houses and hotels work, which I wish the rule book would/should have clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
It is my favorite version of Monopoly to play. There is ambiguity on how houses and hotels work, which I wish the rule book would/should have clarified.

It certainly scratches the Monopoly "itch" without breaking out the full game!

We have not run into trouble with the House and Hotel cards ourselves. Essentially they are Action Cards which are played onto a complete set of Properties (besides the Railroads and Utilities) which adds some amount to the Full Set Rent value. I think a House is $3M and a Hotel is $5M.

So, if you had the Dark Blue Properties, the Full Set Rent is $8M. Throw a House on it, and it's now $11M. Unless there is something I missed when we were playing it, anyway!

EDIT: Beau, you are right, after reading some of the FAQS, there are some real House/Hotel questions which can arise if you get a very involved game. Obviously in my two player games they did not come up! At least we have a nice FAQ here at BGG to help clarify things, and, of course, you can always make up your own House Rules, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnston
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this version of the game more the the newly implemented 'millionaire' version. It is a surprisingly fun little game. It is my favorite monopoly game just above Monopoly Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.