GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,486 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Ontario

Subject: Orleans Game Group - Thursday, September 26th 2013 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
The next session of the Orleans Game Group will be held on Thursday September 26th, 2013!... Sorry for the delay getting this out - just got back in town late last night!

Bring your new games, or knock the dust off of some of your old ones!

We usually start just after 6:30 and go 'til about 10:00pm.

The address is: The Canadian Legion, Branch 632 - Orleans, 800 Taylor Creek Road.

We meet upstairs. There is a bar and snacks and now hot food is also sometimes available so please don't bring in something from outside.

You should also bring $2.00 as a donation for the Legion.

Also. please thumb up this post to move it to the boardgamegeek front page to attract more gamers and tell your friends to come out and play!

Please note that hats are not allowed in the Legion and that one must dress and act respectfully.

You can see our schedule as well as other local gamers nights via the Ottawa Area Gamers Guild's Calendar on BGG - click here -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

We are also listed on the Ottawa Geek Social Club! http://www.meetup.com/ottawa-geek-social-club/events/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll be there....and still carting along some of my new games that haven't seen the table yet:

Tobago ...not been played by club regulars yet...
Dice Town
Power Grid: The First Sparks
Sleuth
Lost Temple

Not suggesting we have to play all these...just that i'll have them. I'll likely propose at least one of them if people are having a hard time choosing, as is often the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Cameron and I will be there likely.
I'm always open for Tobago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there this week - would like to try ra, tobago, and/or forbidden desert if they happen to be on one of the tables.

Will probably bring out libertalia and puerto rico myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My out-of-town sister-in-law is visiting Thursday night so I'll unfortunately not be able to attend this week soblue

I'll still be subscribing to this week's thread of course so I can keep up with all the shenanigans of this here gang,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Murphy
Canada
Orleans
ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I will be there this week. I will be brining sunrise city, and something else.

I do want to try dice town that looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
humm...

What to bring.
Of course Dungeon Roll (for Darcy)
Panic Station?
Mice and Mystics?
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game?

requests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karine Jolicoeur
Canada
flag msg tools
Ill be there as well, I would really like to try escape, as Ive yet to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am out of town this week. I will not make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Cherry
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Provided my family manages to not get more sick, I will be there. I'll bring Ra and some other random stuff. And Love Letter, definitely Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got my copy of Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game yesterday, and it was so beautiful today I had to take advantage and I primed all of the figures. Guess I gotta paint them now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michelle and I will be coming for the first time in several months. I see there are already a lot of great games in the posts above this one, but we don't like to show up empty handed. We're bringing:
For Sale
Skull & Roses
Shadows Over Camelot + Merlin's Company (fully painted)
Dungeon Fighter
Zooloretto

Looking forward to seeing everybody again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started out with 10 last night but were up to 12 by the time the first round of games were done.

My table started out with a 5-player game of power grid: first sparks (I forget the name of the game the other table played!). While it seemed a bit easier than normal power grid, it was still pretty complex for fairly low payoff. The amount of "autobalancing" in the game is really high - if you had a good round you get pretty heavily punished next round. I always find games with an incentive to do poorly awkward. Usually you try to figure out the best/highest impact play and make that - in power grid you've got to consider whether doing the best you can this turn will actually hinder you in the future due to the in-game punishment for success (who designed this thing - communists?). On the upside though, no dice!

First sparks: four clowns out of five (based entirely on Jason's technique of explaining the game, not the game itself :p)

The power grid game took a while, but everyone wrapped up their respective games as we finished and we mixed the groups up again into two tables of 6 to take on dungeon fighter ("dice universe") and libertalia. We had to cut the game of libertalia short due to time, so our pirates only had 2 weeks worth of booty. A nasty triple-beggar round cost me serious points - on the upside though, no brute! Karine had pulled away by the end of the second week and acheived the "asterisk victory" of an abbreviated game ;)

Libertalia: two clowns out of five (still some considerable luck involved in the guessing game, but lots of decision points and still pretty fun even when you get triple-beggared).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
While the first table was playing Power Grid: The First Sparks,

on the second table, we got through Alhambra, Diamant, and Hey, That's My Fish!

table 3 started a bit later with Jaipur

----

From there, we shuffled people up to play Libertalia and Dungeon Fighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually got 2 games of Dungeon Fighter in. The first didn't last long (we were already wounded and a Frog Man finished us off), but we went the distance the second time and defeated "Dungeon the Dragon" (Tony nearly killed him single-handedly, doing huge damage as "Torn" the barbarian).

Um, did anybody happen to go home with an extra wallet? I seem to have misplaced mine, and the last time I can confirm having it was at the Legion. I might have set it on the table to improve my acrobatic abilities (?).
(Rather ironically, I was playing as the thief)

False alarm. Found it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Finally getting around to responding to this "Darce"...uh...I mean "farce" of a report. I won't bother to address anything Darcy had to say about the game cause we are all entitled to our opinions and well...Darcy is Darcy. However...

aitrus wrote:
First sparks: four clowns out of five (based entirely on Jason's technique of explaining the game, not the game itself )

Now I know what Stephen felt like the night he taught us Trias. It is really frustrating trying to teach a group of clowns a game that requires more than considering how many of them can squeeze into a car. I was just as guilty of heckling Stephen that night, as these guys were of heckling me for First Sparks, and boy was it frustrating. LOL. I have a new found respect for the individual teaching the game and will strive to be a respectful participant from now on. Clowns...all of you. (and me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHAOS i AM wrote:
Got my copy of Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game yesterday, and it was so beautiful today I had to take advantage and I primed all of the figures. Guess I gotta paint them now!

So will all 40 be painted for this Thursday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
electronicdad wrote:
CHAOS i AM wrote:

So will all 40 be painted for this Thursday?

Of course they will be, just most of them will be painted primer colour
That looks like way to big a job for me with the large figures. I will stick to BattleLore where the details don't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karine Jolicoeur
Canada
flag msg tools
CHAOS i AM wrote:

I just received my copy of Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game today! They will not be primed or painted by Thursday as I will have to go buy material to do so!
Played it tonight at the Royal Oak for my first time!! WOW!! came home and ordered Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed painting my Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game tonight.

Two more sets to go (Ravenloft and Ashardalon)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
electronicdad wrote:
Completed painting my Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game tonight.

Two more sets to go (Ravenloft and Ashardalon)!

Bring them out for a look-see. I will not have all mine painted by this Thursday. I'm hoping to average 3 figure a week...so...giving myself a week or so extra...i'll aim to bring mine fully painted on Thursday, Jan. 16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL everyone is in a painting frenzy.... your's truly as well

Right now just working on the Hero's from Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game - I have to say painted looks a whole lot better that unpainted... even with my skills

Jason, your recommendation for using old medicine bottles and tic-tac (you can find a version of it at Staples) to hold the mini on it works beautifully - better than anything else I've seen I think!

I was in the same boat as Karine, no current paint supplies for something this small so I did my research and decided on going with "The Army Painter" paints. I picked up their primer at Entertainment Ink in the Mall but I had to search around to find the best deal for their complete set of paints, brushes, etc (called the Mega Set)

Finally found it here... www.litko.net/products/The-Army-Painter-%252d-Mega-Paint-Set... Their shipping was reasonable and it arrived pretty quickly... also...

They carry all sorts of "stuff" for anyone designing, modifying, upgrading their game - regardless of type - quite amazing actually laugh

So there is my two cents worth LOL...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Villeneuve
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

Couldn't help but notice this thread. Just wanted to let you know that I have a copy of Ravenloft and Drizzt each up for trade and I live in Ottawa. Send me a geekmail if this interests you. Of course I understand if you want new copies. Mine are in very good condition however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Am I the only one who HASN'T played these D&D games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhattersneverland wrote:
Am I the only one who HASN'T played these D&D games?

No.

And apparently there is no reason to buy them since everybody else owns a (partially/fully painted?) copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.