Ryan Pearson
msg tools
Poll
In a card game where multiple weapon cards are played at once, what naming convention is better suited?
Weapon Cards. (Iron Sword. Knuckle Duster. Fire Sword)
Weapon Skills. (Basic Swordsmanship. Pummel. Flaming Strike)
Both (1) (For basic weapons = Skill names. For fantastical weapons = Weapon names)
Both (2) (For fantastical weapons = Skill names. For basic weapons = Weapon names)
Indifferent (Use whatever name suits the picture.)
      9 answers
Poll created by Chaoguy2006

Hello again all!

First off, thank you all for helping me with my other query: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13188071#13188071

My uncle had an idea for a game we are developing and I would like to run it by you. The game is a fantasy based table-top game the utilizes cards.

Rule:
To attack monsters, players use multiple weapon cards from their hand that are drawn from a deck along with other cards.

Current Method:
The artwork shows the weapon, and the name of the card matches it. I.e. A player can attack with 2 Iron Swords, a Steel Sword and a Knuckle Duster. We would also have more fantastical weapons (the "Shepards Ward" being fantasy equivilant of a cattle-prod for example). The artwork varies from the weapon being used, to lying on a rack or table.

New Method:
The same as the above, but the NAME of the card refers to how the hero is attacking. I.e. Basic Swordsmanship, Advanced Swordsmanship, Pummel. The artwork would still be of the weapons (either being used or resting on a table) as we arelady have the artwork, and it is representative of what is going on (so even though a knuckle duster represents pummel, in the context of the game the hero is hitting the monster with the pommel of his or her sword for example). Things like the "Shepards Ward" could be fantastical strikes, but still utilizing the unique weapon.

My uncle feels this is more logical, and the current artwork still works as it is representative of what is going on. I feel that the suspencion of dibelief is fine, and that the multiple weapons represent the hero striking multiple times (not that he or she is using four or five different swords at once.) I was also concerend changing the "Weapon Cards" to "Skill Cards" would get them mixed up with other "Ability Cards."

Short version: In a game where multiple weapon cards are played at once, should they remain as "Weapon Cards" (Fire Sword) or "Weapon Skills" (Fire Strike)? Artwork shows different kinds of weapons being used or inactive.

Thank you for your time. Any further questions, please let us know.

EDIT: As this is an aesthetical element, I am not sure if this topic is best suited for here. If this topic is better in the Board Game Design catagory, please let me know and I will move it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Kingston
msg tools
If weapon skills doesn't quite fit:
Tactics
Maneuvers
Gambits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pearson
msg tools
Ah! Hadn't thought of that, excellent!

Thank you very much!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the weapons have different abilities based upon the skill of the attacker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted both. Skill names for more mundane skills (which makes more sense IMO), and weapon names for the fantastical stuff, as they will not fall outside the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pearson
msg tools
debiant wrote:
What if the weapons have different abilities based upon the skill of the attacker?

Hmmm... That's not a bad idea. Like "+1 Attack for every skill with 2 or less Attack you use this turn".

We're also doing some cards that are "equipped" and always have extra effects.

Nice one Ryan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.