I had to budget out my star wars purchasing and when it was finally time to get my YT-1300 and Firespray I decided to bundle them in with my wave 3 pre-order. I finally got them last week and played a game yesterday against my main opponent. I don't have pictures because I don't have a cool playmat yet but I'll give a short summary of the game and my first observations with some of the new ships in action.
My opponent saw what he perceived as a great opportunity and took the following:
Luke Skywalker + R2 Astromech
I have had a build swimming in my head and have been itching to try it out. It looked like this:
Boba Fett + Slave I, Veteran Instincts, Navigator and Adv Proton Torpedos
Colonel Jendon + ST-321, Anti-Pursuit lasers, Rebel Captive, Weapons Engineer
Black Squadron Tie
We did our set-up and flew to the middle. Firespray's first hit on Chewie dropped the shields, advanced proton torps with a focus. However on that initial pass the x-wings came about and all 3 ships focused fire on the firespray, it was gone within 3 turns. I continued to focus and pursue Chewie as I was just afraid that 360 arc would eat me alive. I slowly wittled it down, out maneuvering Wedge and Luke for a bit and getting some anti-pursuit hits. Black Squadron Tie was really effective in defensive rolling and my opponent was reluctant to shoot the shuttle due to the rebel captive (gives the first ship targeting it a stress token each turn for those who don't know).
Even though I did finally succeed in shooting down Chewie, Wedge eventually got a great hit on the TIE and it was the shuttle versus Luke and Wedge. It did not end well for the Empire. It was a fun game and here's my initial thoughts playing with these new ships:
1) Wedge is a shuttle killing machine. Really anything that gets behind it will have a field day, but Wedge gets a clean shot every time.
2) My opponent took a lot of target locks over focuses. In most situations he was out of the shuttle's firing arc so he had no defensive need for it.
3) I really REALLY liked my Slave I build even if my opponent focus fired and dropped it quick. Making sure Boba Fett moved last with his ability and navigator gave him a commanding position almost every time. My shuttle build, meh. I could not utilize Jendon's ability (passing target locks) effectively after Boba was shot down, due to an overlap situation that developed in the middle with Jendon, Wedge and Luke. Great to tie them up and great for the anti-pursuit laser, but beyond that not so much.
4) Empire had too many points tied down in two ships. Black Squadron TIE was all I could fit in after setting up my build and it is too many points that get shot down really quickly once the opponent realized what a threat it was. I get the two firespray builds but a firespray + shuttle build just didn't work as well in this instance.
5) I want to like the shuttle a lot, and I do, but after that initial pass you can't expect too much from it. It moves like a slug and most of your other ships won't move slow with it to get the various bonuses, especially since they will be assessed as the bigger threat and targeted first until the shuttle comes about.
6) Horton Salm got shafted. Not related to this played game, but I don't like that he doesn't have an elite pilot skill slot when the bomber pilots and even a b-wing pilot does.
7) I put my TIE in a bad spot during set-up and made him useless in the first two games. He was to the right of the big ships and had no way to turn into the fight for a shot until the shuttle did. He was valuable and very much the surprise damage dealer with all the focus on the big ships. I can't help but wonder how much more he could have done had I put him in a better starting position.
Again I had a blast playing (as I always do) and I like the new ships. I'm excited to try the others out and see how they fit in. There are so many options now. My opponent didn't even get the B-wings or the HWK-290 once he realized he could fly the YT with Wedge and Luke. He couldn't say no to it, and it worked well.
Can't wait for my next game.
- Last edited Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:49 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:50 pm
6) Horton Salm got shafted. Not related to this played game, but I don't like that he doesn't have an elite pilot skill slot when the shuttle pilots, bomber pilots and even a b-wing pilot does.
Shuttle pilots don't. No EPTs, there.
Oops, nice catch. Edited and fixed. I still think he got the shaft though.