Subject: The shipping dilemma rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love participating in auctions to help people out and try and snag a few bargains...

But based on my experience, the cost of shipping almost always makes buying a used game through an auction on here more expensive than getting a NEW copy from Amazon (I have free shipping with Prime).

I suppose the key to get around this is multiple items at once from the seller, but that can be tricky to achieve.

Any tips, thoughts or suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
before bidding, estimate your expense on average $13 higher than the amount you are bidding. Then decide if it's still a good deal for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
I love participating in auctions to help people out and try and snag a few bargains...

But based on my experience, the cost of shipping almost always makes buying a used game through an auction on here more expensive than getting a NEW copy from Amazon (I have free shipping with Prime).

I suppose the key to get around this is multiple items at once from the seller, but that can be tricky to achieve.

Any tips, thoughts or suggestions?
I was in the same boat. I don't even bother with newish games I can get at Amazon, but in auctions I go for bundles. It bothers me when my bundle gets broken, so lately I have mostly ignored auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way besides lot dealing / buying a bunch is requesting things w/o their box or various frivolous accessories - granted this is a bit extreme for some games, but for card games especially it is really easy to re-box or find a nice home for things and an easy decision if you plan to keep the game forever.

Otherwise it is up to sellers to find inventive ways to make it worthwhile or just eat the shipping on their end. Almost nobody can compete with Amazon, CSI, or MM when it comes to shipping...but like supporting a FLGS, sometimes you spend a little extra to invest in the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I get local pickup, or the game is out of print, or it's a small game or qualifies for regional priority shipping, the auctions don't make sense for me either, since I'm also Prime.

I have sometimes PM'd an offer for multiple games to ensure combined shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if you go to conventions to purchase the item and then arrange for a pickup at the convention or just do local pickups in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have Prime, but still find a number of items affordable in the auctions.

Two things to watch for:

1. Look for sellers within approx. 500 miles of your location. Obviously, the closer the better.

2. The sellers state they will ship according to the wishes of the buyer and not automatically use flat rate.

Small games can easily ship for $6.

Another thing: Two Ticket to Ride size boxes fit inside a flat rate board game size large flat rate box. So the cost per game is about $8.

A lot of this depends on the flexibility of the seller. Definitely read the header of an auction to see just how flexible a seller is.

Like others have said, it's frequently best to win multiple games. Look for auctions with BIN's which will mean you know you've won what you're bidding on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
before bidding, estimate your expense on average $13 higher than the amount you are bidding. Then decide if it's still a good deal for you.

Agreed... if you're not factoring in shipping when you determine your bid then you're overpaying. Don't do that.

Like you said, multiple games from the same person cuts the shipping cost. Be careful though, if you get overbid on some but not all of the games in an auction then you've just lost that shipping savings.

Don't bid on cheaper games. If the game doesn't cost much normally, then the amount you spend on shipping is going to be a huge piece of the total cost of the game. You're not going to get that game cheap enough to make it a good deal. Exception: if you're already buying games from this person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three words:

Cool
Stuff
Inc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clarkkent22 wrote:
Three words:

Cool
Stuff
Inc.

BOOM!

[/End mofo thread]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right?

I mean, free shipping over $100...

If the price of the auction game is even close, for a new copy...

It's a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Why Cool Stuff Inc over Amazon? Which has free shipping on MOST board games. (for prime users)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:
Why Cool Stuff Inc over Amazon? Which has free shipping on MOST board games. (for prime users)

Because even with Prime Coolstuff . . . or ANY major online seller (except for Funagain - why is CSI getting all the attention here?) is cheaper once you reach the free shipping threshold. I constantly check the prices. The difference is anywhere from $3 to $10 and sometimes more. If you're buying 4 or 5 games it's a no-brainer. That said, if all you want is one game then Amazon with Prime can be an acceptable deal.

Seems like everyone is throwing the baby out with the bath water. Deals can be had in the auctions. It just requires paying attention and patience.

Subscribe to the games you want to buy. Pay attention to the alerts when you see that a game has been listed for sale or for an auction. Grab the game when it's for the right price. I do this all the time. And it's cheaper than all the retailers. One exception: The hottest games usually aren't worth it unless they're already hard to find. But games a year or older can frequently be had for less than retail. With exceptions, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, everything has exeptions, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
largelylegit wrote:

Well, occasionally Amazon will have a really great deal where the price can't be beat, but day-in day-out Cool Stuff has much better pricing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can't get everything through CSI.
i.e. Robinson, Terra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clarkkent22 wrote:
Well, everything has exeptions, right?

Except for the things that don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Touché, salesman...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
largelylegit wrote:

Well, occasionally Amazon will have a really great deal where the price can't be beat, but day-in day-out Cool Stuff has much better pricing.

Comparing apples to apples (not Apples to Apples), you have to look at CSI's 2nd day shipping cost to meaningfully compare with Amazon Prime. My understanding is the $100-threshold free shipping at CSI is the standard surface mail that can take a week or two. The one time I did that, I recall it took at least a week to get my (cool-) stuff. So, even if an item is a few bucks less at CSI, I will go Amazon Prime and get my stuff more quickly. In my experience, even with "2nd" day shipping from Amazon, I often (~50%) receive it the very next day.

But back on point to this thread, I definitely take shipping costs into account with the price of the game when looking at items offered in geeklist auctions. I notice a commonly occurring issue where a soft reserve + shipping = higher than new price for the game. Doesn't make sense to bid on that kind of an item. I have purchased a couple of out-of-print titles or bundles of games where the shipping makes sense and the titles aren't readily available online or my FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Potteiger
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clarkkent22 wrote:
And you can't get everything through CSI.
i.e. Robinson, Terra...

You are talking about two hard to find games. I just looked up on Amazon. Terra Mystica is selling for $299. Robinson is selling for $110. If you are paying those prices, I highly doubt you are worried about shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually buy OOP games on Geekbay auctions. They have better deals than Ebay and the people are nicer.

As for selling games, I think it's up to the auctioneer to get creative and drum ip some interest with good deals that beat Amazon and CSI while still getting a decent return.

(Insert shameless plug for my auction ending Wednesday: My First Jones Theory Auction with FREE SHIPPING and BIN Madness! - CLOSED!)

Seriously though: I researched the prices on the competition and offered free shipping and bulk BIN discounts. Even if nobody bids on a single item more the auction has been a success AND people got some great deals.

I feel a twinge of vicarious embarrassment when I see auctions on BGG with overpriced minimums on thrift store games. If you want to gouge someone ignorant, go on Ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:

(Insert shameless plug for my auction ending Wednesday:

Nicely done, Adam. thumbsup I took a look. Sadly, they aren't games I'm looking for, but I appreciate the effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games can be a tremendous deal via geekbay. For instance, I just bought everything ever published for Tide of Iron in one huge lot. It was a bit less than $110 with shipping. OLGS prices would have been around twice that. Bulk purchase FTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.